Gc vs hurley

who?

My source at the game said Hurley probably should have won. Had the tying TD (and chance to win with XP) called back on a hold with about 2 min left in the game. Said Hurley bled off most of the second quarter on one drive just smash mouth. 

58 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

GC fans thought they had patience when they waited out Chris Akers.  That was just the beginning.  It’s going to take the better part of the 2020s to get that program back to being a postseason threat, if it can be achieved at all.

I agree as I had this conversation with someone just the other day. The GC program has been affected all the way down through LL. Once that happens it's hard to get those kids back as they now have other interests. It's not an overnight solution and folks need to be patient. I think GC will have more wins this season but they do have a long ways to go before relevance is reached.

19 minutes ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

A W is a W. Better than what we’ve been. We have some heart, fight, and desire. We will be patient. It’s not a 1 step solution. But we are headed in the right direction. We know it’s gonna take time. But I believe in Jeremy and staff. Rome wasn’t built overnight. Go Blue!

We’re lucky to have this staff!

1 hour ago, Grapeape said:

We’re lucky to have this staff!

With the events the past 3 seasons, I agree that we are lucky. More blessed in a way. We are blessed to have gotten Jeremy back. A man who cares about the kids. That whole staff cares for the kids, a lot of blue blood now on that staff. I believe Barry Jones and Aaron Daugherty are the only none GC grads with Barry being part of the program long enough in the past to be a true Devil. We are moving forward. It’s going to be a long process but we have already made strides in fixing the program. The numbers are low, but those 33 kids have bought into what this staff is selling. I was told those kids were there every day this summer busting it unless on family vacation. I am out of town and didn’t make it last night, but I was told that they laid more hits last night than they did in the last 3 seasons combined. We will get better day by day. Little by little. We may experience losses along the way, but Jeremy and staff are instilling a winning attitude. We will no longer go into a game already down 21-0 in our minds. Do the little things right, and the big things will take care of themselves. The payoff will be huge in 3-5 years. We must ignore the outsiders and control what we can control. The outsiders better get their kicks in while they can. The days of “it’s just Gate City” are limited. 

35 minutes ago, IRISH-FAN18 said:

Did GC play the 1st team against  a fresh Hurley?

Gate City removed just about all of their starters at the 9 minute mark of the TV game. GC had that time plus a ten minute break in between the game with Hurley to rest. It was a good hard hitting game between two teams.  

I think the rebels showed that they are much improved and ready to make a good run this season. They should have beat gate city and had their way with walker. I’m excited to watch these guys. I was very impressed. Much better than last year! 

13 minutes ago, thundercloud said:

Something don't  sound right there,  Gaty City beat Ten. High last week, which sounds

like the Viking gave DB good game first two or three quarters? 

Scrimmages vs game situation are always deceiving. Most teams dont prepare defensively for the teams they scrimmage and usually try to limit the preparation for benefit games and stay vanilla, balancing getting a good look vs not showing too much for week one. I dont think gate city beat tennessee high by no means. 10 guaranteed plays can help erase mistakes that would kill drives in normal situations. 

Just my opinion and I could be/have been wrong....

People put too much stock into scrimmages and Jamborees. I've seen teams struggle with other teams in Jamborees only to spank them later in the season. You don't win preseason games. You go into them to find what weaknesses you need to work on. Real game Hurley could beat Gate City handily or vise versa. 

On 8/24/2019 at 3:11 PM, Leatherhead Larry said:

With the events the past 3 seasons, I agree that we are lucky. More blessed in a way. We are blessed to have gotten Jeremy back. A man who cares about the kids. That whole staff cares for the kids, a lot of blue blood now on that staff. I believe Barry Jones and Aaron Daugherty are the only none GC grads with Barry being part of the program long enough in the past to be a true Devil. We are moving forward. It’s going to be a long process but we have already made strides in fixing the program. The numbers are low, but those 33 kids have bought into what this staff is selling. I was told those kids were there every day this summer busting it unless on family vacation. I am out of town and didn’t make it last night, but I was told that they laid more hits last night than they did in the last 3 seasons combined. We will get better day by day. Little by little. We may experience losses along the way, but Jeremy and staff are instilling a winning attitude. We will no longer go into a game already down 21-0 in our minds. Do the little things right, and the big things will take care of themselves. The payoff will be huge in 3-5 years. We must ignore the outsiders and control what we can control. The outsiders better get their kicks in while they can. The days of “it’s just Gate City” are limited. 

You played for Nick C.   Let me refresh my memory, Nick is not from GC.  I guess that made him a terrible coach.  Coach Frye?  Not from GC either.  You make it sound like Coach Jones and Coach Daugherty are not capable because they aren't from GC.   I guess you were an all state player too?  I can answer that....NO.  I guess you were an all state baseball player too.... NO

You aren't even all district when it comes to your keyboard skills.  I guess that they should train you a little better at "the" Eastman.  

20 minutes ago, falconfan1 said:

You are an idiot.  You played for Nick C.   Let me refresh my memory, Nick is not from GC.  I guess that made him a terrible coach.  Coach Frye?  Not from GC either.  You make it sound like Coach Jones and Coach Daugherty are not capable because they aren't from GC.   I guess you were an all state player too?  I can answer that....NO.  I guess you were an all state baseball player too.... NO

You aren't even all district when it comes to your keyboard skills.  I guess that they should train you a little better at "the" Eastman.  

Dude, relax. No need for that namecalling stuff. Larry never implied that the two assistants who are not from GC could not coach. You read into that what you wanted to read or see. 

On 8/24/2019 at 7:56 PM, jonah58 said:

Scrimmages vs game situation are always deceiving. Most teams dont prepare defensively for the teams they scrimmage and usually try to limit the preparation for benefit games and stay vanilla, balancing getting a good look vs not showing too much for week one. I dont think gate city beat tennessee high by no means. 10 guaranteed plays can help erase mistakes that would kill drives in normal situations. 

Just my opinion and I could be/have been wrong....

This x1000, Heard too many coaches on multiple teams say, we will stop x with y in season. Example was Hurley running so well in the A gap, Eastside did that last year and was solved at half which lead to a tight contest. 

7 hours ago, falconfan1 said:

You played for Nick C.   Let me refresh my memory, Nick is not from GC.  I guess that made him a terrible coach.  Coach Frye?  Not from GC either.  You make it sound like Coach Jones and Coach Daugherty are not capable because they aren't from GC.   I guess you were an all state player too?  I can answer that....NO.  I guess you were an all state baseball player too.... NO

I played for Colobro yes, and Houseright. And as Hokie1Pokie stated, I never said that Coach Jones and or Coach D couldn’t coach. Coach Jones was one of my favorite coaches when I played (though I loved them all). Barry Jones is probably the most decorated coaches in the region. He has been apart of multiple state championship team. As for Coach D, he cares for the young men and has done a good job with them. I really like him as a person as well, he will excel under Houseright with more freedom that didn’t have under Akers. He came from a good program (Mance/Richlands) that establishes the same of what GC used to do and is wanting to get back to. I even wish we were able to hang on to Selfe, his fire would’ve been fun to have with Jeremy in charge. So, I was just stating that we had a lot of blue blood back into the program and that is a good thing. We we have some guys who understand the tradition and are trying to reestablish those rich roots before they are gone forever.  No, Colobro (spelled out unlike you/though you question my keyboard skills) and Fry (spelled correctly unlike you/and you mock my keyboard skills) were not from GC. I’m not saying you have to be from GC to be a good coach. I’m pretty sure I’ve read my previous post a few times now and do not see how you thought that. But I believe having those guys back (Houseright, Darren Reed, Austin Reed, Matt Reed, Hunter Jones, Hackney) can only help us get back to understanding the history of what GC football means. I was not All-State in football or baseball. I guess that means I wasn’t worth a damn. But I do have a few accolades in both sports, with the team honors meaning more than any individual ones I ever received. But anyone who truly knows me, knows that I gave my all for the name across the chest of my jersey.  You claim to know an awful lot about me, why hide behind your screen name? Come say hello sometime. I highly doubt I’ll answer to idiot though. Just be sure to call me by name ole bud. 

32 minutes ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

Thanks. 

Nothing but love for the Devil's from my crib in Bluefield. I miss the days of riding along in the old Ford Bronco down to GC to see the legendary Glenn Carlock vs Harry Fry. Larry, the poster in this thread made the comments due to what you represent, or he identifies you with what he hates and that is Gate City. Gate City has been shi* kicking Abingdon for decades and that bothers him. He's getting his licks while he can since GC is down for the first time in history. Your wasting your time with rationale and reason. You can't argue with someone who hates you for who you are. It doesn't matter what solid or good point you make. You aren't going to make them see, so don't try brother. Good luck to GC and a good friend of mine, Jeremy Houseright.

Most certainly. The will to win and hard work will get a team very far. A group of hard working over achievers will do the program good. A good season can spark the interest of the kids in the halls to want to be apart of a program and it grows from there. Hopefully it can hit the all of the halls of the HS, MS, and elementary schools.