Beaver Graham 2019

SWVsportsNUT

I think both defenses are strong.If Bluefield expects the defense from the game last year, I think they’ll be surprised.  Graham is going to need some great plays on offensive as I believe it’s still a little shaky from comments I’ve seen posted by those that attended scrimmages. Hopefully, they can do some fine tuning this week. Bluefield (once again from comments made by other posters) , seemed to have a stronger showing against Giles than Pulaski. I think it’s going to be hard to beat them but not impossible. I’m hoping for a great game that comes down to the wire! 

Graham's defense is way ahead of their offense at this point.  For them to have a chance, they need  to get to Bluefield's qb and force him into making mistakes.  A lot of folks around town are talking about those 5 D1 commits from Bluefield and figure that Bluefield has this game in the bag.  Im also hearing a lot of folks believing that Graham will have a serious drop off at qb this season, but I believe Lester will do a great job.  Heck, just last season,  at the beginning, a lot of folks were questioning the decision to start Allen over Lester.  I think this game is much closer than last season.  Overall Graham's defense is bigger and stronger than last season and they have good speed at cornerback and safety positions and the defense seems to already be ready ro go (unlike last year). The Offensive line-play for both teams will determine the outcome of this game.  I honestly believe it will be a barn burner and a higjly emotional game on both sides, with the both teams dedicating the game to #5. It wont be the same to  most of those kids without him on the field.  Im not predicting a winner.  All of those kids will be winners on that night in my eyes and in the eyes of just about everybody watching them.  Both schools will be playing for Little Tony and some things are bigger than football.  The love and respect those kids have for each other out there on friday night will and should be the story of that game. 

Both teams have good defenses. So when that is the case, you have to look at which offense is better built for the big play. To me that’s Bluefield. I’m afraid that Lester will be running for his life all night long with that shaky o-line. I think Graham can and will score, just not enough to edge out a team like Bluefield. 

I don't really know what will happen Friday. I stay away from scrimmages and pre season games because I actually don't want to know. Having this as the first game is what makes it special. We have ideas of what to expect but we just don't really know. That is one reason 10,000 people pack the stands. We all know Bluefield is loaded at the skill positions but can they block and tackle? Graham is more balanced this year but will they be able to run the ball and stop the big plays? We really just don't know and that is what makes this game so great.

The game has also turned in to a defacto home coming game for both schools. You can see many former grads at the tailgate party from both schools just talking and having a good time. It has turned into an event that can not be topped anywhere for hundreds of miles.

22 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Ryan,

I will have to 2nd that...a lot of people are talking about Richlands coming to town already!!!

Big Stone & Appalachia is one of the modern-day ( Towns of Friday Night Lights ) ITS ALL ABOUT THE LOVE FOR FOOTBALL!!! 

It was one of the reasons why I moved my son back there is to play FOOTBALL.

You probably feel that way because you are a Richlands fan, to me, nothing comes remotely close to Bluefield-Graham.  What other game has people coming from hundreds or even thousands of miles once a year to watch the game, regardless of how good (or bad) the teams are that particular season.  

Also, I'm not trying to be mean or ugly by any means, but this thread is about Bluefield vs. Graham, let's please stick to the topic.  You will have plenty of time to discuss Richlands vs. Union.

People forget to give the players much credit for their defensive play. These seniors  as 8th graders gave Bluefield Middle team their only loss of the season and held a much faster BMS team to 1 score. And prior to that , They held a Bluefield Cardinal team that scored 40 or more points a game to 1 offensive TD for 2 games in a row. Oh yeah and the opposing teams QB was Devin Lester. These seniors didn’t have that explosive offensive player back then  but they were tough, smart and coachable. They were a tremendous group of defenders long before Edwards, Atkins, Ray and even Lester came along.  Adding those kids just gave them more confidence with the added speed.

Spoken like a true blue, Blue Tornado, lol! Bullitt Park is a great atmosphere too, I agree. Ernie Hicks too but it doesn't get as packed out as it did years ago. There used to be standing room only even around track. One guarantee, Mitchell is always packed out for the first game. 

I really think Graham's defense will be fine for the year. The offense will come together as the year goes on. Offensive line play will be the sticking point as many have said. Chris Austin has done a great job in previous years of getting each group better as the year progresses. This group will improve as well. 

We'll all need to have some patience with the offense. We lost Cam and Lester doesn't have a Lester type receiver that will demand a double coverage. I'm sure the two scrimmages we had Tony showed very little as far as plays. 

Defensively I'm anxious to see how this group responds to a passing team. Losing Cam was obviously huge. We now have 3 new players that are in the secondary. 

2 hours ago, Eersfan said:

People forget to give the players much credit for their defensive play. These seniors  as 8th graders gave Bluefield Middle team their only loss of the season and held a much faster BMS team to 1 score. And prior to that , They held a Bluefield Cardinal team that scored 40 or more points a game to 1 offensive TD for 2 games in a row. Oh yeah and the opposing teams QB was Devin Lester. These seniors didn’t have that explosive offensive player back then  but they were tough, smart and coachable. They were a tremendous group of defenders long before Edwards, Atkins, Ray and even Lester came along.  Adding those kids just gave them more confidence with the added speed.

Are you saying Large is the same as Simon.. 

My thoughts are the game will be a closer this year than last  with Graham's defense way ahead of where they were last year at the beginning of the season. Offense isn't there yet.  Bluefield is strong on both sides of the ball. I know most people are handing the game to Bluefield but I'm hoping that Graham can pull out the W. It will certainly be a hard fought contest and great atmosphere for fans. 

39 minutes ago, crazyFB said:

Are you saying Large is the same as Simon.. 

I’m saying Bluefield was loaded with even more talent and speed then and Spadaro was also an assistant for Large. The tenacity of Graham’s defense is due to the players. It has shown in the past. Football today is more about the Johnny’s and the Joe’s than it is the X’s and the O’s.  Simon and Palmer are good coaches but they would never have their success at a school such as Lebanon or a Montcalm. Great coaching comes in to play when you know the other sideline has more size,speed and talent than you do every week but you find ways to win.

Who all does Bluefield have on the line besides Martin?

D. Flack 6’6 340

D. Hairston 6’1 318

M. Peters 6’7 319

E. Powell 5’10 290

T. Parks 5’9 305

G. Jordan 5’10 255

L. Cartwright 5’11 280

And several other young guys who haven’t had an opportunity yet.  Should be interesting but there are definitely other guys on the line that will be hungry to help Martin out.