Mance 200

Ryan4VT

4 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Stealing this from Brady. 

Mance is 1 win away from win 200 at Richlands. 

What are your top 5 biggest victories for Richlands under Mance?

Nice idea, @rvtne216

1.) State Championship in Lynchburg

2.) Beating Brookville at Brookville

3.) Beating Beaver 

4.) Overtime win against V.H.

5.) Two point conversion win in state semi-final

I think all Blues fans will have their favorites, but these are mine.

From a GMen perspective, 2004 over Graham was big. Richlands opened the season with a loss to Gate City, and beat Tazewell and Abingdon, but it felt like it was going to be same same for Richlands. They would be competitive, pretty good, 7-3ish, but lose some of the big ones like GC and Graham. Richlands beat Graham handily that year and things became obvious that it wasn't just one win. You could sense that Richlands had arrived as a football program and they had. They lost in the semi's to Salem that year. It was the turning point for Graham and Richlands. Graham had taken over the district since the late 80s, and Richlands had the great run in 92-93 and Grundy did also, but Graham was best football program in that stretch. I think 2004 was the last time Coach Carlock coached against Richlands, and of course, after the 2004 season, Graham would go on to have it's worst 10-12 years of football arguably in it's history.  Before 2004, Graham had had their way with Richlands for most years dating back to the early 80s. So for me, that 2004 win for the Blues really turned the tables and Richlands was the team to beat not just in Tazewell County, but the entire region.

I remember 2004 quite a bit differently. After Bradshaw graduated, Graham was expected to be very much down and gearing toward 2005.  Graham ended up having no offense that season (See: Tazewell - 7, Graham - 5).  Carlock getting that 2004 team to the playoffs is possibly the most underrated coaching performance of his entire career.  That was a mediocre team on its best day, and to play Richlands to a 25-9 loss, when most knew Richlands was going to be the team coming out of R4D4, was pretty impressive.

The real passing of the torch was that 2005 season.  Carlock had passed weeks before coaching what he thought was going to be one of his best teams.  Richlands has just dropped to R4D3.  Graham started 4-0, then went to Richlands and got blanked 30-0.  Graham went back to Richlands for the R4D3 playoffs at 9-2, and lost a 19-13 game.  That’s where the programs diverged.

3 hours ago, GloboGymCobras said:

Sorry to go off-topic but will there be a podcast this week, Ryan? 

I will answer this for, Ryan. The podcast right now is at the drawing board. Ryan's equipment is currently out of commission and I am currently at law school so we are trying to figure it out at the moment!

A few that come to my mind is the 2006 State Championship against Rockbridge Co., 2010 state semis win over Brookville, 2016 state semis win over Stuarts Draft, 2013 Virginia High 3OT game, and I think the 2004 Magna Vista game or the 2005 Liberty Bedford state semifinal game. A few other games come to my mind. 2014 Lord Botetourt was a big win. 2007 state semi win over Brookville was a big one. 2008 over Tazewell in the playoffs was a memorable one. Powell Valley in 2000 at Bullitt Park. 2004 vs. Graham is big. 

A lot of fun to reminisce on some of these.

I think I've listened to Ron Brown call most of these classic games and concur with those listed. 

200 wins is impressive for any coach, but I think Mance's accomplishment is especially remarkable for several reasons: 

1. It didn't that long. 23 seasons is a fairly short career to reach this milestone.

2. He got a late start. He didn't become HC until his mid-30s and he's still only in his 50s.  

3. He inherited a program in turmoil. 'Nuff said.

4. He had a slow start. His record after 3 seasons was a pedestrian 14-18, which meant he averaged more than 9.7 wins over the next 19 seasons. 

5. Not a lot cupcakes. The SWD wasn't always tough, but the OOD always was.  

11 hours ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

Houseright - 1 

Mance - 199 

Yep. He got a win and it was well deserved. Mance is still one win away. This thread wasn’t meant as a guarantee that Mance would win last night. It was a thread about Richlands. Had nothing to do with GC. Congrats on your win. Good luck the rest of the way.