Ridgeview at Burton -- Thursday

swva_havok_fan

Well, this game was only on the radar up until now because it was a Thursday night game and the first action in deep SWVA for the season.  But now, due to some unforeseen things that happened at Ridgeview earlier today, this may now be a very competitive game.  Not going to talk about the "unforeseen things" since some folks that do come on here would probably rather not read about it on a message board... but it's definitely going to be a much closer game now than it looked on paper I believe.

Thoughts?

I'm telling you folks had best not sleep on the Raiders. They have to find a QB but the excitement is up as well as the numbers and they have several returning starters. I fully expect them to terrorize D1

No the Soph QB don't have the arm Houston had but he's improved a lot. If he gets loose he's  gone. The Defense,  these dudes bring the wood. No matter what happened at school today or wherever this was going to be a game. I'm sorry but SWVA ain't got a OL that can stop Soph Johnny Williams kid is unreal. If Trenton is all they got game over. That new OL RV has is suspected. If the Raiders lose it'll be 9-1 Season.

12 hours ago, big ugly vol said:

Because of RV’s insistence on being so one dimensional on offense I always see them being a stacked defensive front away from an upset. However I don’t think it happens this week. 

RVs run game is very good. The line does a great job opening up holes for the studs they have in the back field. They really only need to successfully throw the ball 5 times a game to keep the D Honest. I don’t know know much about JI but if they have anything less than a great front 7 they got no chance.

11 minutes ago, Jags52 said:

RVs run game is very good. The line does a great job opening up holes for the studs they have in the back field. They really only need to successfully throw the ball 5 times a game to keep the D Honest. I don’t know know much about JI but if they have anything less than a great front 7 they got no chance.

After yesterday, there will be a lot of questions surrounding the highlighted sentence.

19 minutes ago, HaloSports2 said:

this game won't be close

Thats what Union thought a few years ago vs JIB in the Thursday opener. Thats JIB team was a lot less talented than this one and that Union team was at least on par with this RV team.

Not saying JIB will win or that it will even be close but football is a funny game and wildly unpredictable, high school football even more so.  Not to mention overall JIB is the faster team

10 minutes ago, redtiger said:

Thats what Union thought a few years ago vs JIB in the Thursday opener. Thats JIB team was a lot less talented than this one and that Union team was at least on par with this RV team.

Not saying JIB will win or that it will even be close but football is a funny game and wildly unpredictable, high school football even more so.  Not to mention overall JIB is the faster team

2017? The score was 35-0 ....That was NOT close.

This is my take on the game.

Burton is a solid single A team and needs to get more of a passing game to get out of the region in the playoffs.

RV is a solid AA team that needs more of a passing game to get past the 2nd round in the playoffs.

Couldn't agree more Counts, once these teams get deeper in the playoffs the competition gets tougher, and its hard to line up and run it down someones throat.

Need a decent passing game to keep the defense honest, and not be able to stack the box with 9 to 10 guys and leaving a safety back by himself.

When is the last time SWVA has seen a true balanced offense with a passing game and running game?  Brad Robbins at PV?

2 hours ago, Counts said:

This is my take on the game.

Burton is a solid single A team and needs to get more of a passing game to get out of the region in the playoffs.

RV is a solid AA team that needs more of a passing game to get past the 2nd round in the playoffs.

I Take it you've seen J.I.Burton play??    Playoffs has nothing to do with Thur game!!   I was waiting for someone to say RV has more student. Lol

1 hour ago, #BBN said:

Couldn't agree more Counts, once these teams get deeper in the playoffs the competition gets tougher, and its hard to line up and run it down someones throat.

Need a decent passing game to keep the defense honest, and not be able to stack the box with 9 to 10 guys and leaving a safety back by himself.

When is the last time SWVA has seen a true balanced offense with a passing game and running game?  Brad Robbins at PV?

Union 2015 was pretty balanced. Spears had around 2000 yards passing and I believe over 2500 yards rushing among 3 backs.

2 hours ago, #BBN said:

Haysi had two 1000 yard rushers and a 2,000 - 2,500 yard passer in their last year. They were about 50/50 pass/run when the first team was in. More dangerous throwing because Coach Colley didn't care to air it out, but very balanced. This is from memory. I wouldn't swear to the numbers.

55 minutes ago, Michael_389 said:

I Take it you've seen J.I.Burton play??    Playoffs has nothing to do with Thur game!!   I was waiting for someone to say RV has more student. Lol

(I Take it you've seen J.I.Burton play??) Yes

( Playoffs has nothing to do with Thur game!!) with Graham in Ridgeviews Division and PH in Burtons I think you are wrong if you want good seeding

( I was waiting for someone to say RV has more student. Lol) since no one brought it up yet do you think it is important?

3 hours ago, #BBN said:

Richlands when Devon was at RB. We all know the passing game is always great, but Devon made it impossible to sit back and defend the pass. 

2 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Richlands when Devon was at RB. We all know the passing game is always great, but Devon made it impossible to sit back and defend the pass. 

That 2010 team especially, with Cody Lockheart and Devon