Washington Post: Evolving High School Football

trublue

As high school football offenses evolve, defenses trade size for speed to catch up

"The Spread" has been making a huge difference in high school football since the mid 2000s, defenses are really just now catching up but that type of attack is just about at its zenith. As soon as Defenses start to match speed/quickness with speed/quickness the offense will load up with big bodies and hammer those undersized box players, its inevitable. What makes it tough at the local 1A/2A/3A level is there are still a lot of old school run heavy teams, put those tall, lean middle backers and DEs in and see what happens. 

One of the things thats truly beautiful about high school football and what makes it the pinnacle of football for me is the variation you see offensively. Locally from week to week you will see Double Tights T Belly, Wing T, Jet Sweep, Shotgun 4 wide, Triple Option, I-Formation, etc. Its exciting to get to watch something different each week vs the college game(which I love) where its some variation of the spread every week with teams like New Mexico, Auburn, Oregon, etc putting their own spin on it.