RC Game Called Off

Burrall’s Pearls

43 minutes ago, Burrell’s Pearls said:

Heard Jenkins didn’t have enough to play? If RC takes a forfeit win how does that impact power points?

They'll get 16 base points and nothing else.  Jenkins isn't winning a game anytime soon even if they are able to play any more games this season.

What is the situation at Jenkins?  I know in some sports they are allowed to start playing Varsity ball at a young age and grade.........Is the school just that small? Where would be an option for these students to go to school at if something was to happen to Jenkins?

Sad to say but football is becoming a less popular sport in this area, not sure how all you feel, but seems like numbers are no where near what they used to be.  I understand the school numbers in some areas are down due to the economy, but are kids just not interested in football like they used to be?

They chose not to consolidate with the other Letcher schools which left them with 150 or so total kids (73 boys) in grades 9-12. Add that to a 25 game losing streak and I guess there's not much will to go out and be every opponent's punching bag each week.

RC wont get anything for the game power points wise I dont believe.  They will just divide their total by 9 unless they pickup a game with someone who lost a game with Bland.  Possibly Craig County I guess. Or maybe have two Twin Springs games since TS was to play Jenkins on RCs open date.  Who knows at this point?  I know RC offered to make a long bus ride to play today.

2 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

RC wont get anything for the game power points wise I dont believe.  They will just divide their total by 9 unless they pickup a game with someone who lost a game with Bland.  Possibly Craig County I guess. Or maybe have two Twin Springs games since TS was to play Jenkins on RCs open date.  Who knows at this point?  I know RC offered to make a long bus ride to play today.

But the key word used in the article was forfeit... If the word forfeit hadn't been used then I could see maybe dividing by 9.  I don't know really either, I just guessed because the term "forfeit" was used.  The Cove probably would be better off average wise to play just 9 in all honestly instead of the Jenkins game counting for anything.

8 hours ago, #BBN said:

What is the situation at Jenkins?  I know in some sports they are allowed to start playing Varsity ball at a young age and grade.........Is the school just that small? Where would be an option for these students to go to school at if something was to happen to Jenkins?

Sad to say but football is becoming a less popular sport in this area, not sure how all you feel, but seems like numbers are no where near what they used to be.  I understand the school numbers in some areas are down due to the economy, but are kids just not interested in football like they used to be?

It's not just locally, it's a trend nationally. 

Football is tough, most players will rarely actually play against an actual opponent but are expected to put in work just like the starters. I read an article awhile back talking about the practice time to playing time ratio and football is by far the worst sport. It's easier to play the sport you're best at or is your favorite. AAU Basketball causes some problems,"fall baseball" really makes an impact.

Kids, like adults do things for satisfaction. Other sports and video games offer more satisfaction with less practice time. It's hard to blame them, even if they are missing out on a special experience.

4 hours ago, Beamerball said:

Harlan (city school) forfeited first game also against Harlan County due to lack of players. 

https://www.wymt.com/content/sports/Harlan-Harlan-County-football-game-canceled--513154201.html

I hate to hear that one as well. Harlan wanted to schedule RC and I know Thomas Walker has them on the schedule.  It seemed like they always had decent numbers when I had their games in the past.