Week 1 updates

Tigers_07

5 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

As you should be. Honestly don't know if Richlands has been overhyped or Gate City underhyped. Either way, this was a solid win for the Blue Devils.

Dont recall anyone overhyping Richlands. Most knew what they had. Qbs are struggling with accuracy and receivers are having trouble adjusting and getting underneath the long ball. But if they can get things together they could be a dangerous team. Not a state team but maybe a 2nd or 3rd rounder. GC has some speed that i heard no one talking about. And Calhoun is a truck to bring down at FB. They just made more plays than Richlands. TOs and penalties hurt Richlands as well. But still pretty evenly matched teams. GC is only gonna get better and better by the month and by the year. They have some studs.

1 minute ago, Westisthebest said:

Dont recall anyone overhyping Richlands. Most knew what they had. Qbs are struggling with accuracy and receivers are having trouble adjusting and getting underneath the long ball. But if they can get things together they could be a dangerous team. Not a state team but maybe a 2nd or 3rd rounder. GC has some speed that i heard no one talking about. And Calhoun is a truck to bring down at FB. They just made more plays than Richlands. TOs and penalties hurt Richlands as well. But still pretty evenly matched teams. GC is only gonna get better and better by the month and by the year. They have some studs.

As a Richlands fan, I second this... We have a headache at quarterback and a mess at receiver. Sage Webb was a bright spot, but he was worn out by the end of that ball game. Gate City came out and executed a flawless game plan. Gate City is something special and so is big number 45. That boy can fall for at the line of scrimmage and still get eight yards at a time. Richlands was just outcoached, outplayed, and to be frank, more than likely came in over looking this team. This game doesn't give me a lot of hope for the season.

59 minutes ago, gc1 said:

It's amazing what having a coach that gives a darn and loves the players will do....

Hey GC1 i noticed your laughing emoji toward my penalty disparity comment. I just call it like i see it. I would like to apologize though to any of the kids that may be reading. They were super excited and deserved the win. They made the plays and Richlands didn't. But man y'all must've been hiding that speed y'all had. Heard no talk of it. No 2, 11, and 12 has some wheels. Wasnt expecting that at all. Best of luck the rest of the season. Would love to see them build off this win and make the playoffs. Was just a little upset with the refs. Again good luck! 

9 minutes ago, Westisthebest said:

Hey GC1 i noticed your laughing emoji toward my penalty disparity comment. I just call it like i see it. I would like to apologize though to any of the kids that may be reading. They were super excited and deserved the win. They made the plays and Richlands didn't. But man y'all must've been hiding that speed y'all had. Heard no talk of it. No 2, 11, and 12 has some wheels. Wasnt expecting that at all. Best of luck the rest of the season. Would love to see them build off this win and make the playoffs. Was just a little upset with the refs. Again good luck! 

So the refs were calling ghost penalties?

12 minutes ago, CzarYakov said:

As a Richlands fan, I second this... We have a headache at quarterback and a mess at receiver. Sage Webb was a bright spot, but he was worn out by the end of that ball game. Gate City came out and executed a flawless game plan. Gate City is something special and so is big number 45. That boy can fall for at the line of scrimmage and still get eight yards at a time. Richlands was just outcoached, outplayed, and to be frank, more than likely came in over looking this team. This game doesn't give me a lot of hope for the season.

I hope they can get it together. They have potential. Like I said before Steele is not your running back. They brought in Gillespie and gained some momentum. I believe Steele would be best utilized at WR and put Medley or Whited at TE. Whichever one he has at WR. I get them mixed up they look just alike. Surely Mance has some TE packages. I believe he would be a beast over the middle. He just got outcoached tonight. Didnt like the play calling at all. Hope they can right the ship.

1 hour ago, Unchained said:

3 thoughts for me tonight:

1. This Union defense while very young is going to be special-possibly the best we've seen by the time they gel

2. Brody Gibson looked much more comfortable tonight. All the Bears fans with doom and gloom forgetting that he's learning the position at the varsity level. He threw pretty well overall tonight and should have had a long TD pass but it was dropped (very well thrown ball).

3. Absolutely tickled to death for the kids from Gate City. They've took their lumps over the last few years. The conference needs teams like GC and Central to be good. It will only make the rest better 

Any thoughts on Lee and the new staff?  Normally I'd try to go to the Union game but didn't.  Listened to a little on the radio.

1 hour ago, 50kw said:

Could be the best district this side of the state.

It looks to be very good this year except at the very bottom. Poor Lee just isn't very good at all and doesn't look like Battle is much better. But much improved GC and Central plus Ridgeview, Union and Abingdon, it's a tough slate for anyone. 

1 minute ago, Beamerball said:

Any thoughts on Lee and the new staff?

The game plan just was not working. They tried most of the game to run the ball between the tackles into the teeth of the Union defense but it really did them no favors. I believe the big kids were gassed for Lee going both ways, Union seemed to really handle them at the LOS.

but the QB has some play making ability if given time or a place to run. 

Just now, gc1 said:

So the refs were calling ghost penalties?

No the other way around. I sit with a pretty honest group and most of the penalties on Richlands was legit. If i didnt see it they'll be like yeh he did it. Just seen a few no calls on GC. Thats all im saying about it. I believe this is the first time ive ever said anything about refs and i shouldnt have. GC deserved the win like I said. Good luck on the season.

Just now, BigWinners said:

The game plan just was not working. They tried most of the game to run the ball between the tackles into the teeth of the Union defense but it really did them no favors. I believe the big kids were gassed for Lee going both ways, Union seemed to really handle them at the LOS.

but the QB has some play making ability if given time or a place to run. 

100% agree. The QB is a good athlete. They are running the wrong offense. I was impressed with the size on the line and #74 is a stud

Just now, Unchained said:

100% agree. The QB is a good athlete. They are running the wrong offense. I was impressed with the size on the line and #74 is a stud

The line for sure had great size, but even so they struggled to move Union at the LOS. Union only returned one DL starter and still Lee struggled manufacturing first downs. Some of that was for sure Lee's insistence of trying to run into the A&B gaps against a team with four great LBs, but even on passing downs Union was getting pressure with four. Lee did have some success on the edges, but they were almost weirdly intent on going up the gut and the fast, physical Union D really ate it up.

kinda wish Lee had tried to air it out more against the first team, I'll be interested to see the Bears pass defense.

29 minutes ago, Westisthebest said:

Not saying that anyone predicted a state championship season for the Blues, but some of the record predictions would mathematically include at least 3 wins out of Union, Graham, Abingdon, Bluefield and Radford. Might get Union, but the others? Also, talk of who would score the game clinching touchdown tonight. 

And I don't think that GC is just especially fast(basically same kids from last year), but may have looked that way if Richlands hadn't gained any speed from last year. Slowest Blues team I had ever seen. I and ither posters made comments last year.

16 minutes ago, Unchained said:

I was impressed with the size on the line and #74 is a stud

He’s a big kid no doubt, but from my perspective on the 35 yard line he was sucking wind after the first series. He battled a freshman on the line tonight and didn’t do much bullying after 50 found his technique. 

Walk On at VT? Nah

4 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

Not saying that anyone predicted a state championship season for the Blues, but some of the record predictions would mathematically include at least 3 wins out of Union, Graham, Abingdon, Bluefield and Radford. Might get Union, but the others? Also, talk of who would score the game clinching touchdown tonight. 

And I don't think that GC is just especially fast(basically same kids from last year), but may have looked that way if Richlands hadn't gained any speed from last year. Slowest Blues team I had ever seen. I and ither posters made comments last year.

Union doesn't have the elite speed they had last season w Avery Jenkins, but Guerrant showed he has wheels tonight. He had some explosiveness as did the wingback Jenkins, #32. He is nowhere near his brother but he's quick. Union has several 'quick' kids, not elite track speed but quick. Guerrant, both Jenkins, Lomax, Lester and Rasnic all have good speed.

2 hours ago, jonah58 said:

Central 51 Eastside 14, 8:13 4th. Central JV in on both sides of the ball since the middle of the 3rd.

I’m pretty sure if you can play in a Varsity game. You are in High School so on Varsity. Let me guess young like the rest of the hold backs.

13 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Union doesn't have the elite speed they had last season w Avery Jenkins, but Guerrant showed he has wheels tonight. He had some explosiveness as did the wingback Jenkins, #32. He is nowhere near his brother but he's quick. Union has several 'quick' kids, not elite track speed but quick. Guerrant, both Jenkins, Lomax, Lester and Rasnic all have good speed.

Hope to see a good one next week. I think Union has won the last 2 or 3. Hopefully its our turn.