Week 1 updates

Tigers_07

1 hour ago, Westisthebest said:

Hope to see a good one next week. I think Union has won the last 2 or 3. Hopefully its our turn. 

Itll be close. I think it's required by law lol. Even last season, when Union was considerably better, the game was close as was the playoff game in BSG in 2017. 

Being in BSG should help Union, they play much better at home.

6 hours ago, Deacon said:

Most of the team is hold backs. Lol, See how much the JV plays week three .

False. Most of the team is not hold backs. 

And let's just clarify here, that holding back is only an advantage in the sense you are using it when the individual gains an AGE advantage. 

Let me simplify it for you: typical age for each grade of high school is as follows - 9th grade = 15 years old; 10th grade = 16 years old; 11th grade = 17 years old; 12th grade =18 years old. Nobody will argue about that, just work the math backwards if you can to the average starting age of 5 for Kindergarten. 5+13 = 18.....

If a student "holds back", but yet is the same age as the typical student in that grade, no advantage was gained. The only time an age advantage is gained is when a student is OLDER than the typical student for that grade. 

So when you have a sour grapes attitude, and want to pick fights on a score update thread because someone gives a clearer picture of what's happening in the game, before you throw out blind excuses, make sure you throw one out that is valid.

In this case, the whole team is not hold backs,  and the number of students on Central's team that has any kind of AGE ADVANTAGE  is a whopping 1, and he weighs 150 pounds. 

Maybe GMan can open up a section on the board entitled "Safe Space" so one can go to it if they get triggered easy.

Central pulled their starters when it was 38-0 midway through the third quarter.  It is what it is. I would post that with the score update of any team. It just gives a clearer picture of what is going on.

35 minutes ago, jonah58 said:

Let me simplify it for you: typical age for each grade of high school is as follows - 9th grade = 15 years old; 10th grade = 16 years old; 11th grade = 17 years old; 12th grade =18 years old. Nobody will argue about that, just work the math backwards if you can to the average starting age of 5 for Kindergarten. 5+13 = 18.....

First, I don’t have a bone to pick and this isn’t personal. Just offering that, your math is a bit flawed. When counting from 0 to 5 using fingers, you’ll use 6 fingers. Point being, kids don’t attend public school for 14 years, it’s 13. 

My daughter is a freshman and only turned 14 less than 6-weeks ago. She began kindergarten at age 5, first grade at 6, second grade at 7, third grade at 8, fourth grade at 9, fifth grade at 10, sixth grade at 11, seventh grade at 12, eighth grade at 13 and ninth grade at 14. 

Simply adding 5 to the total number of grade levels counts the age “5” year twice. More to the point of the OP, any freshman who is currently 15, has been held back!

2 minutes ago, sixcat said:

First, I don’t have a bone to pick and this isn’t personal. Just offering that, your math is a bit flawed. When counting from 0 to 5 using fingers, you’ll use 6 fingers. Point being, kids don’t attend public school for 14 years, it’s 13. 

My daughter is a freshman and only turned 14 less than 6-weeks ago. She began kindergarten at age 5, first grade at 6, second grade at 7, third grade at 8, fourth grade at 9, fifth grade at 10, sixth grade at 11, seventh grade at 12, eighth grade at 13 and ninth grade at 14. 

Simply adding 5 to the total number of grade levels counts the age “5” year twice. More to the point of the OP, any freshman who is currently 15, has been held back!

Most turn 6 during the kindergarten year. It does add up. Most will turn 18 their senior year.

Just now, jonah58 said:

Most turn 6 during the kindergarten year. It does add up.

Please, allow me to rephrase!

If a current freshman is already 15, they have been held back!  If a kindergartener is turning 6 in August/September, they started school a year late. 

5 minutes ago, sixcat said:

I was 15 my freshman year,  got my driver's license during my sophomore year, started kindergarten when I was 5. I didn't hold back.

4 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Please, allow me to rephrase!

If a current freshman is already 15, they have been held back!  If a kindergartener is turning 6 in August/September, they started school a year 

Possibly lol.... but the only age advantage is when a kid is 19 their senior year. 

7 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

I was 15 my freshman year,  got my driver's license during my sophomore year, started kindergarten when I was 5. I didn't hold back.

Completely understand that. My younger daughter will turn 15 halfway through her freshman year and wasn’t held back. But if a kid is turning 15 in January, they didn’t play football as a 15 year old freshman. 

Semantics, I suppose but all things in this circumstance aren’t equal. As @jonah58 said, the presumed advantage is being a 19 year old senior football player. 

Just now, sixcat said:

Completely understand that. My younger daughter will turn 15 halfway through her freshman year and wasn’t held back. But if a kid is turning 15 in January, they didn’t play football as a 15 year old freshman. 

Semantics, I suppose but all things in this circumstance aren’t equal. As @jonah58 said, the presumed advantage is being a 19 year old senior football player. 

True. And I agree if you turn 19 your senior year, you held back.

12 minutes ago, sixcat said:

The main point is.... just throwing out "the whole team is hold backs" is a silly excuse and there are too many variables to look at to determine if a hold back has even gained an advantage other than age. And that isn't even a factor until they are 19. 

@sixcat all this would be easy if every kid was born in June and July lol

I can tell you all that Abingdon is a monster of a team, there line is huge an there backups are the same size, Lucus is 230 pounds of power an speed, we thought from PH game that passing was weak spot but not so last night. I thought Union an Ridgeview was going to have the largest line but I was wrong, Abingdon just wore us out. 

15 minutes ago, grandpaw trojan said:

I can tell you all that Abingdon is a monster of a team, there line is huge an there backups are the same size, Lucus is 230 pounds of power an speed, we thought from PH game that passing was weak spot but not so last night. I thought Union an Ridgeview was going to have the largest line but I was wrong, Abingdon just wore us out. 

Not sure about Ridgeview,  but Union's line is pretty small this season compared to previous years.

2 hours ago, jonah58 said:

False. Most of the team is not hold backs. 

And let's just clarify here, that holding back is only an advantage in the sense you are using it when the individual gains an AGE advantage. 

If a student "holds back", but yet is the same age as the typical student in that grade, no advantage was gained. The only time an age advantage is gained is when a student is OLDER than the typical student for that grade. 

So when you have a sour grapes attitude, and want to pick fights on a score update thread because someone gives a clearer picture of what's happening in the game, before you throw out blind excuses, make sure you throw one out that is valid.

In this case, the whole team is not hold backs,  and the number of students on Central's team that has any kind of AGE ADVANTAGE  is a whopping 1, and he weighs 150 pounds. 

Maybe GMan can open up a section on the board entitled "Safe Space" so one can go to it if they get triggered easy.

Central pulled their starters when it was 38-0 midway through the third quarter.  It is what it is. I would post that with the score update of any team. It just gives a clearer picture of what is going on.

I don’t need a “safe space” or have a sour grape attitude. Much less picking fights on social media.

My first point was the back ups are not JV but on a Varsity team. Other words Eastside did not score until the starters was pulled. But thanks for the clarification.