Week 1 in the Books! Thoughts on your team's performance!

Gridiron60

For Tazewell a little more form tackling wouldn’t help to work on, the QB shows youth in the pocket but nothing that can’t be fixed with game experience. Overall the OL looks to impress and can only get better, Defense is really improved from what we’ve seen in previous years. They will upset and surprise some teams. Great night for the dawgs. #TNT

Was very impressed with how Giles played with a solid 4A school that has only lost 3 games since 2016. The final was 24-0, in Blacksburg's favor, but Giles drove the ball down inside the redzone multiple times but came up empty. Defensively, our pass D needs some serious work, and we need to work on our tackling. But overall I was pleased. We’ve looked better the last two weeks against two very good teams, than we did all last season. We still have a tough schedule with Graham, Glenvar, and Radford, but I like what I see so far.

Pasted from Lee/Union thread...

Union looked really good on D. Have no comments there. The O line is still coming along. A few missed assignments. QB is looking more comfortable. Running game is solid!

The ability to go back and forth between the spread and T is definitely a plus. I just hope it doesn't lead to an identity crisis. 

Overall, a good showing for the Bears.

My thoughts on Tazwell and Virginia  High 

1. Va high defense  is really bad. Any team with speed and a decent line is going to put up a lot of points. 

2. Tazewell has some talent,  offensively  the call the same plays over and over. They need more creativity.  

3. Tazewell  missed a lot of tackles  on defense. The defense looked okay because  Virginia  High's  offense  was bad. The Bearcats  couldn't  hold blocks and their backs had to create  a lot on their own. Teams with better  o-line that can pass are going to be able to score  a lot more than Virginia  high did. 

4. Virginia  high's play calling  needs work. They need to mix it up more and maybe  spread  teams more. 

5. Tazwell I think can win some games, but to be honest  I think this  was a classic  example  of one team being really bad and the other team being decent. 

Lastly, Tazewell  needs to be more humble. Leaving their starters in until 6 minutes  to go or so was not good. The game was over at the half bring in your  back ups and get them experience, especially  when you've had issues in the past of injury that derailed  your season. Also, the celebrating  in the endzone such as high stepping, pointing at fans of the opposing  team was uncalled for in my opinion. Tazewell  hasn't proven anything  yet, be confident  but be humble. Remembered  it's either be humble or eventually  get humbled. 

Good Luck to both teams, I hope Tazewell  is very successful.  

Lebanon  and Honaker

I wasn't there unfortunately. I will say that Lebanon  holding Honaker to 14 pts was a positive. I heard that Lebanon  had a couple  nice drives but penalties  hurt, you have to finish drives. 

I still think Lebanon  has the potential  to surprise  some teams. They are very young and it might take a couple  games.

Honaker is going to have a solid season. 

I hope their QB is able to return. 

Good luck to the Tigers- enjoy the coal bowl Trophy  this year, because  I have a feeling  it's coming back to Lebanon  for the next couple of seasons. 

Go Pioneers 

Graham had too many turn overs & penalties on offense. Lester was great but need work on offensive side of the ball. He can't do it all. O Line was weak although Brody Meadows went toe to toe with Martin. There were some great plays and runs on offense just sloppy and undisciplined.  Defense held up well against a very talented Blufield but will continue to improve.  I'm not predicting they play for a state title although that's my hope and think they have the potential if they clean things up (they could have won last night) but I still see them as forerunner in SWD & region. 

31 minutes ago, Pioneer pride said:

My thoughts on Tazwell and Virginia  High 

1. Va high defense  is really bad. Any team with speed and a decent line is going to put up a lot of points. 

2. Tazewell has some talent,  offensively  the call the same plays over and over. They need more creativity.  

3. Tazewell  missed a lot of tackles  on defense. The defense looked okay because  Virginia  High's  offense  was bad. The Bearcats  couldn't  hold blocks and their backs had to create  a lot on their own. Teams with better  o-line that can pass are going to be able to score  a lot more than Virginia  high did. 

4. Virginia  high's play calling  needs work. They need to mix it up more and maybe  spread  teams more. 

5. Tazwell I think can win some games, but to be honest  I think this  was a classic  example  of one team being really bad and the other team being decent. 

Lastly, Tazewell  needs to be more humble. Leaving their starters in until 6 minutes  to go or so was not good. The game was over at the half bring in your  back ups and get them experience, especially  when you've had issues in the past of injury that derailed  your season. Also, the celebrating  in the endzone such as high stepping, pointing at fans of the opposing  team was uncalled for in my opinion. Tazewell  hasn't proven anything  yet, be confident  but be humble. Remembered  it's either be humble or eventually  get humbled. 

Good Luck to both teams, I hope Tazewell  is very successful.  

Be more humble? 🤔

7 minutes ago, Bulldogs52 said:

Be more humble? 🤔

I take exception with point #2.  If you are having success against a team by calling the same plays over and over, there is no need for "creativity".  No need to pull out all the stops when you are up by 40.

7 minutes ago, Pioneer pride said:

Yes my observation  and opinion agree to disagree 

I was in agreement with you on all your points till the humble one. Here’s why, these kids started as mostly freshmen and sophomores two years ago are now Juniors and Seniors and there wasn’t no teams being humble with them. 

18 minutes ago, Bulldogs52 said:

I was in agreement with you on all your points till the humble one. Here’s why, these kids started as mostly freshmen and sophomores two years ago are now Juniors and Seniors and there wasn’t no teams being humble with them. 

That's all well and good but I  don't care what team it is nobody  likes cocky. I think you and I can both agree on that. You made my point for me.....nobody  was humble to them, so they aren't  going to be the bigger team and have humility  now ? Not sure I agree with that. What is that teaching them in the long run?  Humility always goes a long way. We should be teaching our students humility, kids don't get taught that a lot now days

Good luck the rest of the season and I hope you have a blessed day. 

45 minutes ago, Pioneer pride said:

That's all well and good but I  don't care what team it is nobody  likes cocky. I think you and I can both agree on that. You made my point for me.....nobody  was humble to them, so they aren't  going to be the bigger team and have humility  now ? Not sure I agree with that. What is that teaching them in the long run?  Humility always goes a long way. We should be teaching our students humility, kids don't get taught that a lot now days

Good luck the rest of the season and I hope you have a blessed day. 

I’ve always said the same thing you’re saying now on this same message board many of times... Everyone response to me was, stop them and the score won’t be that high!!! And I’ll leave it at that. 

Happy for GC. I didn't expect them to win. I thought it was possible they could play with Richlands but thought in the end Richlands would win by 2-3 TD's. Hopefully the coaching & players don't get too hung up on this win though, cause Abingdon could send them back into reality real quick next week.

I think the G Men need some work. They gave up several  70 and 80 yard runs for TDS. Bluefield could’ve opened the lead up in the 3rd but Davis came out after a 30 Yd run inside the 10. Then his replacement fumbled on the next play. And Beaver had at least a dozen bad snaps , 2 of which resulted in turnovers. Bluefield has some talent but I don’t think it’s enough to overcome the 100 or more yards in penalties and 3 or 4 fumbles they had. They might have the D1 recruits but I don’t see them winning state unless they get home field. Graham will have a much easier road but they need to stay injury free. 

Graham and Bluefield both obviously have some work to do. If I'm Palmer, I don't if I would even want to watch the film. I honestly thought he had a good game plan. Unfortunately the execution wasn't quite up to par. Too many missed opportunities. Defensively Graham does have some issues with DE's and the secondary. 

Bluefield did play pretty sloppy. Some of that could have been due to Graham and/or focus due to the events surrounding the team. Bluefield couldnt seem to sustain a drive. It was  either a 80 yard touchdown or nothing it seemed. 

All in all I thought it was a very good hard fought contest. Officiating...........was pretty sloppy as well. First game of the season for everyone!! Lol

Chilhowie will win a lot of games, Marion won't. Pretty simple. 

I genuinely don't believe Chilhowie will lose a regular season game. They are far and away the fastest 1A team in this area, and I don't see many teams giving them much of a fight. Jonathan Gilley will be 1st team all-state by the time it's all said and done.

Marion could improve if they simplify things offensively. They have a very talented stable of receivers who can make plays, but if things get too complicated, we'll continue to see turnovers on passing plays. Also, I would personally give #13 twenty-five touches a game. That boy is a load and a half. It was obvious that it was Smith's first game as a head coach, and I don't think the sky is falling, but some serious changes need to occur for Marion to even get as many as three wins this season.

23 hours ago, Plywood_King said:

Chilhowie will win a lot of games, Marion won't. Pretty simple. 

I genuinely don't believe Chilhowie will lose a regular season game. They are far and away the fastest 1A team in this area, and I don't see many teams giving them much of a fight. Jonathan Gilley will be 1st team all-state by the time it's all said and done.

Marion could improve if they simplify things offensively. They have a very talented stable of receivers who can make plays, but if things get too complicated, we'll continue to see turnovers on passing plays. Also, I would personally give #13 twenty-five touches a game. That boy is a load and a half. It was obvious that it was Smith's first game as a head coach, and I don't think the sky is falling, but some serious changes need to occur for Marion to even get as many as three wins this season.

I have a pretty good feeling that PH will have something to say about that statement this year. I would be shocked if they don't give them a real fight. 

Wait till next year I suppose 

I knew we were going to take a step back and I didn't think we'd beat Tazewell. But my goodness, I did not think it would be like that

I think we can pull a win or two out of Lebanon and Marion & I think we can hang for a bit with Battle, Central, and Chilhowie -- but I have my doubts. Beyond that, it's going to get ugly

We've got a group of young athletic playmakers, Thomas and Morris particularly, who will make some noise in the next two years, but they'll have to take their lumps this season

4 hours ago, AHScoach said:

I have a pretty good feeling that PH will have something to say about that statement this year. I would be shocked if they don't give them a real fight. 

The key phrase was "many teams" 🤣