Richlands @ Union

Unionguy_2017

On 8/31/2019 at 6:35 PM, Hokie1Pokie said:

Bada Bing. Not everyone expected GC to be down or like they were. Most did, but some didn't. Richlands will beat Radford at home. 

Richlands may have a really bad year this year but i wouldnt be so quick to say they are gonna be bad or count them out. Yes im making predictions based on the first game too but they have some talent. They have other receivers than Webb that have decent speed that can catch the ball in Tarter and Altizer.  A new QB that hasnt played since 8th grade that has a lot of upside. And like i said in several other posts if Mance starts 42 Gillespie at RB and moves 5 Steele to wideout and this QB can find his rythym this could be a good team. Keep in mind they had a couple bad snaps, several big penalties and a couple turnovers against GC. They may surprise a lot of people including myself.

I simply gave an honest response.  No ill will intended.  I’ve watched these kids for years.  This is not a team filled with playmakers.  The point I made was that it’s easy to assume there are playmakers all over the field.  Ask opposing coaches who have to scout for an upcoming Richlands game.  The int that the qb threw was not into double coverage. It was to Richlands tallest receiver 1 v1 with a shorter dB. Not a bad call or decision. Just a poorly thrown ball.   He targeted Webb once in double coverage and just overthrew him. Not a bad play. It’s easy for us forum guys to second guess a coach with 199 wins and critique play calling. I said the qb was gonna get better as the season goes.  As far as needing to get it to other receivers than Webb. My point was that Webb had a constant double team. And he had limited targets. But during the 2 minute drive I think the qb completed 4 to Webb in 4 attempts.  If he had a double, The other  receivers must beat the 1 on 1.  Tarter has made plays.  Altizer was injured or he could have had an impact. But with him gone last week and a new qb making his first start the  “ weapons “ were minimal at best.  The line is the strength. The kicking game is the best arounD , and Webb is  a big play guy  , but only a sophomore. He will have to take on more touches in order for Richlands to move the chains consistently. .   One of the weapons needs to emerge in the running game and another receiver / tight end.  All in all , the offense scored enough points to win a game. The defense , which was believed to be the bright spot , didn’t show up after the first 3 drives.  That was due to lack of speed and lack of skilled players  on the outside . Phipps , Martin , whited , went at it hard.  All I’m saying is look at the graham roster or the Bluefield roster.  Go position by position. Qb, rb , wr , lineman , etc.  How many players do the blues have that would edge out one of their positional players. If your answer is honest.  Not many.  So that would equal “ lack of weapons “.  Not arrogant. Being truthful.  So if you do manage to beat some of these teams , coaching has a lot to do with it. It can’t be terrible win they loose and great win they win.   Your  coaching  what you have  and sometimes it’s not as skilled of a team and it’s ok to say that it isn’t.  

On 9/1/2019 at 10:56 PM, Westisthebest said:

Cant see Richlands beating Radford. Too much speed.

Richland's is a bad matchup for Radford and Richland's is equally as fast as Radford. Sure, Radford has PJ who is a monster and can fly, but they don't have great overall team speed. They are a power team, run oriented, conservative screen passings, play defense. GC had some success throwing on Richland's on a pass. Radford also doesn't have great speed in the secondary other than PJ. Richland's can have success passing on them. The question is whether the Blues can slow down the Radford running game enough to win. Radford runs it Better than GC, and if the Blues give up 300+ on the ground to Radford, they will lose like they did to GC. Richland's has the ability to get up early on Radford with the passing game and if that happens to any run oriented team, nervousness sets in. I think Richland's and the passing game will bother Radford and that's why I'm picking them. 

This game is so unpredictable.  A few years back Union was down and thought in no way were they going to win, and in the last seconds of the game they pulled it out.  That's happened a couple of times, along with the same situation and Richlands pulled it out.  In reference to both teams play last week, Union should win by 7 or more, but the end results will hinge on how much each team has adjusted and improved this week.  If your're able to be at this game, enjoy it, but don't leave until the last whistle blows, or you may miss the best part.  Good luck to both teams and I'm hoping the Blues can manage to put enough on the board to come out on top.

I saw the Union freshmen play at Dobyns-Bennett this past Monday. They have some big kids, but there was one wearing #44 who never got in the game, and he looked like the biggest guy on either team. Anyone know who he is, how big or why he didn't play? I would have asked a Union fan, but our grandson plays on the D-B freshman team and we were sitting on that side. Great game BTW with Union winning 18-14 as D-B completed a long pass and run down to the Union 6 before a kid from Union ran the WR down from behind. With 22 seconds to go, D-B spiked the ball to stop the clock, then fumbled the snap on the next play with Union recovering for the win. 

Huh? Union works out of the spread for the majority of snaps. It's for sure a run first offense, but the T isn't ran nearly as often as the spread. 

Last week, Union had much, much more success out of the gun compared to under center. Lee was stacking the box (as every time likely will with a young QB) and when Union went under center it made yards much harder to come by on the ground. I'm not sure I would run the T at all, but I for sure would only run it inside the 10-yard line and maybe short yardage situations on third down. Spacing is huge, if you can create space by formation, I'm in favor. It's easier to run against seven or eight defenders in the box as opposed to nine or ten. 

I also believe running out of the gun is a more effective way to get the QB involved in the running attack, it gives your runners more options and better vision lanes while also allowing some true RPO looks. I'd love to see Union try more RPOs, but it's a lot to ask of an inexperienced QB. Union has weapons on the outside, you gotta be able to utilize them fully and it's harder to do out of the T. If you have a productive power run game from the gun, I guess I don't see the need for going under center. It opens up so much more of the field for either rushes or passes. Screens, intermediate passing routes, the deep ball, PA passing, etc...are all available from the gun. It's much harder to do some of that stuff from the T, especially with a young QB. 

This has been the BigWinners unnecessary rant of the week.

3 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Huh? Union works out of the spread for the majority of snaps. It's for sure a run first offense, but the T isn't ran nearly as often as the spread. 

Last week, Union had much, much more success out of the gun compared to under center. Lee was stacking the box (as every time likely will with a young QB) and when Union went under center it made yards much harder to come by on the ground. I'm not sure I would run the T at all, but I for sure would only run it inside the 10-yard line and maybe short yardage situations on third down. Spacing is huge, if you can create space by formation, I'm in favor. It's easier to run against seven or eight defenders in the box as opposed to nine or ten. 

I also believe running out of the gun is a more effective way to get the QB involved in the running attack, it gives your runners more options and better vision lanes while also allowing some true RPO looks. I'd love to see Union try more RPOs, but it's a lot to ask of an inexperienced QB. Union has weapons on the outside, you gotta be able to utilize them fully and it's harder to do out of the T. If you have a productive power run game from the gun, I guess I don't see the need for going under center. It opens up so much more of the field for either rushes or passes. Screens, intermediate passing routes, the deep ball, PA passing, etc...are all available from the gun. It's much harder to do some of that stuff from the T, especially with a young QB. 

You were right about one thing. It was unnecessary. 😂

Just now, Union_Fan said:

You were right about one thing. It was unnecessary. 😂

Just correcting information to being with, then I got on a roll and just kept going. I can never fire back if someone calls me long winded. 

I would say 75% of the snaps Friday came out of the gun. It was probably about the same percentage of running plays. The offense looks basically the same as it has for years, it hasn't changed much at all except in 2017 when Union was down a QB. It's worked so why not keep it the same. It's a primary run offense, but ran out of the gun. 

37 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

you def know we have a young qb

51 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

You make great points. But for the last few years, 2016 and 2018, (I won’t include 17 due to the wildcat offense) the vast majority of unions snaps against Richlands have came in the T. Union stayed in it in 2016 @ Ernie Hicks until the last 5 or so minutes of the game where they went to the spread. 

1 hour ago, BigWinners said:

Just correcting information to being with, then I got on a roll and just kept going. I can never fire back if someone calls me long winded. 

I would say 75% of the snaps Friday came out of the gun. It was probably about the same percentage of running plays. The offense looks basically the same as it has for years, it hasn't changed much at all except in 2017 when Union was down a QB. It's worked so why not keep it the same. It's a primary run offense, but ran out of the gun. 

If you go back and read the OP I responded to, you will see that I answered his question about Union running the T. They do, and have since 2011. I also stated that they run the spread and other formations. They do.

Nowhere did I mention what they ran against Lee. Although, if you recall, they got into the T when they wanted to score before the half. Unless time is short, when they need to score, eat up the clock, put the game away or otherwise demoralize their opponent, they run the T. It's their bread and butter. 

It's that time, Blues fans be safe traveling, Union fans get ready for our crowd, everyone be proud, be loud, and overall show good sportsmanship.  Hope both teams play well and play injury free.  Good luck to both teams, have a good game, and my the good Lord smile on all of us who love this game.  GO BLUES!!!

Turner will come out tonight in the double tight "T" and run the ball, just like Gate City.  It works.  Richlands needs to get away from the two platoon system and put the BEST ELEVEN on the field.  He has three pretty good running backs (# 42, # 5 and # 4), no experienced quarterbacks and no dynamic play-maker at receiver (Webb is more effective taking hand offs.)  The defense would benefit from extended offensive possessions.  Best eleven on the field works, ask Thad Wells.  Massive changes needed, Air Mance needs to turn into ground and pound.

Mance will adjust he always does and gets #200. But you know it will come down to the final play with one fan base leaving pissed off heart broken and headed to the gas station to pick up the 30 rack of their choice 

17 minutes ago, Jags52 said:

Mance will adjust he always does and gets #200. But you know it will come down to the final play with one fan base leaving pissed off heart broken and headed to the gas station to pick up the 30 rack of their choice 

I hope the good people from Richlands has some designated drivers...thats long road home if people are drinking...safe travels..😲🤔😆 

16 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

If you go back and read the OP I responded to, you will see that I answered his question about Union running the T. They do, and have since 2011. I also stated that they run the spread and other formations. They do.

Nowhere did I mention what they ran against Lee. Although, if you recall, they got into the T when they wanted to score before the half. Unless time is short, when they need to score, eat up the clock, put the game away or otherwise demoralize their opponent, they run the T. It's their bread and butter. 

I wasn't intentionally being a dick, you gave a little jab and I gave one back. 

I don't agree that the T is their bread and butter at all, the offense has been more efficient in most years out of the spread utilizing weapons. Without the dynamic speed that Jenkins had last year and Owens in the past, the T becomes mainly up the gut running and that's easier to stop if you don't have that home run threat. I think the offense is at its best when they are spread out and still use power run concepts like traps and counters but also run the bubble screens and attack the edges and middle of the field in the air. I made my points about the two formations earlier, no need to rehash them, but I wasn't trying to flame you. The dude asked what offense Union was running this season, and from what they've shown against VHS and Lee, the spread was ran more often so far.  That very well may change going forward.