Richlands @ Union

Unionguy_2017

3 hours ago, old_school_blue said:

Turner will come out tonight in the double tight "T" and run the ball, just like Gate City.  It works.  Richlands needs to get away from the two platoon system and put the BEST ELEVEN on the field.  He has three pretty good running backs (# 42, # 5 and # 4), no experienced quarterbacks and no dynamic play-maker at receiver (Webb is more effective taking hand offs.)  The defense would benefit from extended offensive possessions.  Best eleven on the field works, ask Thad Wells.  Massive changes needed, Air Mance needs to turn into ground and pound.

Against a stingy Union defense, I believe Air Mance would be the best way to attack the Bears. Union has a fantastic group of LBs that fly to the ball. I would try to spread them out and attack down the field.

16 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

I wasn't intentionally being a dick, you gave a little jab and I gave one back. 

I don't agree that the T is their bread and butter at all, the offense has been more efficient in most years out of the spread utilizing weapons. Without the dynamic speed that Jenkins had last year and Owens in the past, the T becomes mainly up the gut running and that's easier to stop if you don't have that home run threat. I think the offense is at its best when they are spread out and still use power run concepts like traps and counters but also run the bubble screens and attack the edges and middle of the field in the air. I made my points about the two formations earlier, no need to rehash them, but I wasn't trying to flame you. The dude asked what offense Union was running this season, and from what they've shown against VHS and Lee, the spread was ran more often so far.  That very well may change going forward.

If you don't believe the T is their bread and butter then you have not watched the same Union team I have since 2011.  Also, when you say "spread" do you simply mean shotgun? I have seen Union run an actual one back, spread formation very few times. It's mostly a 2 back shotgun that they run a crossbuck out of, or a single back with one or more other backs lined up as wings to run jet sweeps.

I shudder to think how scary good this defense is going to be with a year in the weight room. Richlands will be ok IMO. Union's defense is going to wreak havoc on a lot of folks. By the time this bunch is done it will be the best defense we've seen. The offense still needs a ton of work but IMO it's about poor,predictable playcalling than anything else. I was joking to my buddies that I thought I saw the Richlands defender send a text message while waiting on the ball carrier. When you have a defense as stout as this one was tonight you've got the luxury of developing the offense:) I saw as many hard hits by the Bear defense as I have seen since the old LPD days. This team reminds me of one of Tom's Appy squads. That hammering drive to get the lead really took me back.

Score was very deceiving, Union by no means blew Richlands out. It was 7-3 into the 4th and 3-0 RHS at the half. But Union finally found some offense late (out of the T. The T produced nothing at all for a half but Union moved it much better after the break in the formation. The only real gains in the first half came out of the gun but the second half was all T and it worked) and then capitalized on Richlands' mistakes to close out the game.

Lining up to kick a FG down 7-3 in the 4th when Union had ate basically entire third quarter with a long drive shocked me. Then Union blocking it and having a monster return really opened floodgates. 

6 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

If you don't believe the T is their bread and butter then you have not watched the same Union team I have since 2011.  Also, when you say "spread" do you simply mean shotgun? I have seen Union run an actual one back, spread formation very few times. It's mostly a 2 back shotgun that they run a crossbuck out of, or a single back with one or more other backs lined up as wings to run jet sweeps.

It depends on how you're defining bread and butter. Their most ran formation? Probably. Their most effective? I would argue no depending on their personnel. When Union has had a QB they trust, you've seen way more spread concepts like the bubble screen Turner loves (but seems reluctant to run this season as much, even with talented kids like Rasnic, Jenkins and Lester).

If you don't believe Union quite a bit of 3x1 spread looks over the past seven years, you haven't watched the same Union team I have since 2011. I was using gun and spread interchangeably, Union still runs mostly power run concepts even when they go 3x1 instead of the ace gun. 2017 became basically a veer offense but every year Union has ran a considerable amount of offense from 3x1 shotgun sets unless there has been questions at QB.  Which they should, as Union has always had playmakers on the edges. It'd be foolish to not try and take advantage and use the talented skill positions. 

Just now, UNION#ATW said:

I feel we need some help on the offensive side...But the DEFENSE is looking strong💪💥...They looked like they ran couple different set ups on defense tonight

Defense looks great and we knew the linebackers were good but the secondary has really been impressive.  The offense was more than usual predictive but the first drive of 2nd half reminded me of the old Appy days, not sure how long the drive was but it felt like about 15 plays and 10 minutes.

12 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

It depends on how you're defining bread and butter. Their most ran formation? Probably. Their most effective? I would argue no depending on their personnel. When Union has had a QB they trust, you've seen way more spread concepts like the bubble screen Turner loves (but seems reluctant to run this season as much, even with talented kids like Rasnic, Jenkins and Lester).

If you don't believe Union quite a bit of 3x1 spread looks over the past seven years, you haven't watched the same Union team I have since 2011. I was using gun and spread interchangeably, Union still runs mostly power run concepts even when they go 3x1 instead of the ace gun. 2017 became basically a veer offense but every year Union has ran a considerable amount of offense from 3x1 shotgun sets unless there has been questions at QB.  Which they should, as Union has always had playmakers on the edges. It'd be foolish to not try and take advantage and use the talented skill positions. 

Since you love to get the last word in,  you may have it. Think my point was proven tonight.

35 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Score was very deceiving, Union by no means blew Richlands out. It was 7-3 into the 4th and 3-0 RHS at the half. But Union finally found some offense late (out of the T. The T produced nothing at all for a half but Union moved it much better after the break in the formation. The only real gains in the first half came out of the gun but the second half was all T and it worked) and then capitalized on Richlands' mistakes to close out the game.

Lining up to kick a FG down 7-3 in the 4th when Union had ate basically entire third quarter with a long drive shocked me. Then Union blocking it and having a monster return really opened floodgates. 

Thought a blocked kick becomes a dead ball, so how you get a return? 

Just now, rhs82 said:

I thought Union was very disrespectful and un sportsmanlike when blowing the train whistle on every offensive of Richlands ran in the first half......

Every team that plays at Texas A&M feels the same with thousands of cowbells. 

Cant handle the noise. 

1 minute ago, rhs82 said:

I thought Union was very disrespectful and un sportsmanlike when blowing the train whistle on every offensive of Richlands ran in the first half......

As disrespectful as Richlands players running through our band over at your place? What do they say about glass houses? 🙂