Tazewell @ Graham

Taz_Dawg61

3 hours ago, Liam McPoyle said:

I'd love to check out the new Bulldog Radio network but that would mean not listening to Kicks Country 106.3 (the gold standard for high school football broadcasts)

The connection at Mitchell wasn’t strong, and we had technical issues aplenty as a result.  We apologize for the technical issues and the disconnects; going to work on that to try and make sure that doesn’t happen again!

1 hour ago, GMan said:

If Tazewell is the fastest, might be an easy season for the G-Men...

Do you have some bone to pick with me?

I know this is your site, but for years I’ve given you credit for being smarter than this.

I said they were fast. I’ve also said numerous times that Graham would win the game. 

How hard is that to understand?

By the way, yes, Graham should have an easy road the rest of the way.

1 hour ago, Jags52 said:

Yeah the Tazewell hype train ran into a big old g man wall

As will every regular season opponent they face this season, with the exception of Bluefield and their 5 D1 recruits.  That Bluefield game very well could have went the other way, also.

8 hours ago, Bearcat Dad said:

I know this is your site, but for years I’ve given you credit for being smarter than this.

I said they were fast. I’ve also said numerous times that Graham would win the game. 

I have no bone to pick, just pointing out the fact that Tazewell does not have the speed you think they have.  We can let it go now...

9 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

The connection at Mitchell wasn’t strong, and we had technical issues aplenty as a result.  We apologize for the technical issues and the disconnects; going to work on that to try and make sure that doesn’t happen again!

Had to use it while out of state and wondered why it was dropping out plus the fact of it would repeat the previous 5 sec over and over and then sometimes skip and catch up live. 

55 minutes ago, stu_bean said:

Had to use it while out of state and wondered why it was dropping out plus the fact of it would repeat the previous 5 sec over and over and then sometimes skip and catch up live. 

Long story short, we’re at the mercy of our surroundings when we’re away.  At Bulldog Stadium, we have ethernet that  keeps those glitches from happening.  Last week at Emory, we also had ethernet.  We also carry Verizon and AT&T hotspots to keep the quality up, which is usually successful when the signal is strong. 

This week, we had no ethernet connection at Mitchell.  Mitchell is also a weird dead zone for cell service; our Verizon hotspot had 1 bar, and our AT&T only had 2 bars, and both were being taxed by overuse from the source signal.  Gigabeam had a press box feed, which was far and away better than the hotspots in our pregame tests; however, from personal experience, upload speeds are iffy at times.  

A perfect storm of sorts in terms of causing issues.  A learning experience for sure, and we hope the listeners won’t be discouraged.  It’ll be clear as a bell and without lag next week without question.

21 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Long story short, we’re at the mercy of our surroundings when we’re away.  At Bulldog Stadium, we have ethernet that  keeps those glitches from happening.  Last week at Emory, we also had ethernet.  We also carry Verizon and AT&T hotspots to keep the quality up, which is usually successful when the signal is strong. 

This week, we had no ethernet connection at Mitchell.  Mitchell is also a weird dead zone for cell service; our Verizon hotspot had 1 bar, and our AT&T only had 2 bars, and both were being taxed by overuse from the source signal.  Gigabeam had a press box feed, which was far and away better than the hotspots in our pregame tests; however, from personal experience, upload speeds are iffy at times.  

A perfect storm of sorts in terms of causing issues.  A learning experience for sure, and we hope the listeners won’t be discouraged.  It’ll be clear as a bell and without lag next week without question.

I have horrible cell service at Mitchell.  Drives me nuts!!

I hope that the first two games of Tazewell's season are a lesson for everyone out there. For better or worse, point spreads are the worst statistic possible to go by in high school sports, and if you put too much credence in them, you'll get egg on your face every time. 

12 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

I’ll tell you one thing, Graham will not lose again in the regular season.  That was a well-oiled machine tonight.

I stated this last week after the Bluefield game. Also stated they won't be touched until they get to the semis. Having watched Graham for decades, it's the best Graham team I've seen on opening week against Bluefield since 1989. That usually means Graham will go a long way. 

1 hour ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

I stated this last week after the Bluefield game. Also stated they won't be touched until they get to the semis. Having watched Graham for decades, it's the best Graham team I've seen on opening week against Bluefield since 1989. That usually means Graham will go a long way. 

No doubt that Graham should go a long way.

That 89 Graham Beaver game was a snooze fest in comparison. Beaver was horrible and fumbled the ball away inside their own 20 2 out of their first 3 drives. I think losing 17-14 and fumbling away the winning TD on the goal line against the soon to be 14-0 state champs makes for a good showing. The 95 team played a much better Beaver team that had several D1 players , Yubrennal Isabelle, Charlie Tynes, Eric Krauss, and other kids like Glenn Keene. Who didn’t have the hype machine working for them like these kids do now. That 95 Graham team played their butts off and beat a great Beaver team. And they played a much tougher schedule after that, losing to a Tommy Crigger led Grundy team and a good Lee team , both on the road. And only by 1 or 2 points. We always hear comparisons to the 89 team and nothing about the 95 team. The 89 team played a weak schedule other than getting thumped by Salem. Then got to play every playoff game at Mitchell including the state championship. What an advantage. The 95 team played  only 1 playoff game at home. I never hear these Graham historians mention the 95 team but they talk about the very fortunate 89 team like they were the 72 Dolphins. I believe the last 3 GHS teams, the 1990 team and the 95 team were all better than the 89 team

11 minutes ago, Eersfan said:

That 89 Graham Beaver game was a snooze fest in comparison. Beaver was horrible and fumbled the ball away inside their own 20 2 out of their first 3 drives. I think losing 17-14 and fumbling away the winning TD on the goal line against the soon to be 14-0 state champs makes for a good showing. The 95 team played a much better Beaver team that had several D1 players , Yubrennal Isabelle, Charlie Tynes, Eric Krauss, and other kids like Glenn Keene. Who didn’t have the hype machine working for them like these kids do now. That 95 Graham team played their butts off and beat a great Beaver team. And they played a much tougher schedule after that, losing to a Tommy Crigger led Grundy team and a good Lee team , both on the road. And only by 1 or 2 points. We always hear comparisons to the 89 team and nothing about the 95 team. The 89 team played a weak schedule other than getting thumped by Salem. Then got to play every playoff game at Mitchell including the state championship. What an advantage. The 95 team played  only 1 playoff game at home. I never hear these Graham historians mention the 95 team but they talk about the very fortunate 89 team like they were the 72 Dolphins. I believe the last 3 GHS teams, the 1990 team and the 95 team were all better than the 89 team

I hear you, but I'm not referring to anything about the competition of Graham in 89/95/2001, and how good Bluefield was. You might be missing my point. I'm judging simply by the quality of the Graham football team, the talent, the skill level, and the ability of the team to win if it doesn't beat itself. It has nothing to do with how good Bluefield was or wasn't in 89 or 95. Graham has certainly "played better games" on week one since 89. My point of reference is Graham's talent and ability to win, not the competition or how good Bluefield was or is this year or in 89 or 95.

I wrote this immediately after the loss to Bluefield last week and my opinion only of course, but this is the best Graham football team I have seen since 1989 in week one and that they will go into the semis untouched in this region. 

16 hours ago, Bearcat Dad said:

C'mon man I know Union isn't quite the well oiled machine of 2017 and Graham certainly handled the Bears last year but you don't have to rub it in and say it'll be that easy lol. 

54 minutes ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

I hear you, but I'm not referring to anything about the competition of Graham in 89/95/2001, and how good Bluefield was. I'm judging simply by the quality of the Graham football team, the talent, the skill level, and the ability of the team to win if it doesn't beat itself. It has nothing to do with how good Bluefield was or wasn't in 89 or 95. I wrote this immediately after the loss to Bluefield last week and my opinion only of course, but this is the best Graham football team I have seen since 1989 and that they will go into the semis untouched in this region. 

My point is that you can only gauge how great a team is by who they play. I think this years Graham team has talent but it’s easy to put up big numbers against a weak schedule. Tazewell has a terrible defense and even though Bluefield has some talent, that’s not one of the better Beaver teams to get on the field. You have  D1 colleges carrying 160 players on their roster , then you have parents spending big $$$ to haul their kids to camps and combines and social media feeding the hype even more. Any kid that can run a 4.5 or go 6’5 290 will get offers from D1 schools. People remember the hype and not the depth or character of a great team. There is no parity to HS football in this area. Sometimes it’s not about how good your team is that year but how many other teams talent pool has went dry. Every now and then a team will face 5 or 6 teams that year who have their best talent in years. I think the 95 team faced that. If Graham would’ve held Davis to 50 yards or less instead of giving up 2 70 yard TD runs on 1st down, I’d say that this Graham team is a well oiled machine but does that only apply when they face teams like Tazewell , who have 2 solid skill players and would struggle against 1A schools like Patrick Henry , Chilhowie and Galax, or teams like Bluefield who can gather up some of the same talent that Graham does? Comparing these teams who face terrible competition to teams in the past who faced much better competition just feeds into the hype. They get enough hype as it is

1 hour ago, BigWinners said:

C'mon man I know Union isn't quite the well oiled machine of 2017 and Graham certainly handled the Bears last year but you don't have to rub it in and say it'll be that easy lol. 

There is no doubt in my mind that Union will be up to the task in a couple of weeks in Bluefield.

1 hour ago, Eersfan said:

Uh Radford was the 2nd best team in the state in 1989. Gave Graham fits in the two games they played and were lucky to win either of them. They also shut out the AA div 4 state champions in Blacksburg.So much for that weak schedule theory of yours. The 89 team was the best in school history, followed by the 2001 team. 2018 is 3rd,  and 4th is the 95 team. 

1 hour ago, Eersfan said:

My point is that you can only gauge how great a team is by who they play. I think this years Graham team has talent but it’s easy to put up big numbers against a weak schedule. Tazewell has a terrible defense and even though Bluefield has some talent, that’s not one of the better Beaver teams to get on the field. You have  D1 colleges carrying 160 players on their roster , then you have parents spending big $$$ to haul their kids to camps and combines and social media feeding the hype even more. Any kid that can run a 4.5 or go 6’5 290 will get offers from D1 schools. People remember the hype and not the depth or character of a great team. There is no parity to HS football in this area. Sometimes it’s not about how good your team is that year but how many other teams talent pool has went dry. Every now and then a team will face 5 or 6 teams that year who have their best talent in years. I think the 95 team faced that. If Graham would’ve held Davis to 50 yards or less instead of giving up 2 70 yard TD runs on 1st down, I’d say that this Graham team is a well oiled machine but does that only apply when they face teams like Tazewell , who have 2 solid skill players and would struggle against 1A schools like Patrick Henry , Chilhowie and Galax, or teams like Bluefield who can gather up some of the same talent that Graham does? Comparing these teams who face terrible competition to teams in the past who faced much better competition just feeds into the hype. They get enough hype as it is

Literally nothing after the second sentence of this post is correct.