Ab vs gc?

who?

25 minutes ago, who? said:

Can the devils pull another one?

I think  abingdon  wins by 2 tds. They scored at  will against a supposedly  stingy battle defense. The Falcons are well coached and will be ready for them. I'm not taking anything  away from Gate City, but I think they caught Richlands in a very overconfident  unprepared moment. That won't happen with the Falcons. 

Agree with ya on Richlands. But, when you gash a team by running off tackle for 300 yds at their place, that's a good sign for your offensive line and running back. Even if GC is improved, they still will have the good issue and bad issue. The good issue is the ground and pound shortening the game and keeping turnovers low and you are going to be in almost all games. The bad is......because of the above, you are also going to be in many games if you turnover or get hit with a big quick strike score. So, that's the issue for GC with their style. With their history when the talent is there, it has worked for them and it's clear their OL and RB is way better. But talent still takes time to develop and I get the feeling GC may be out talented in this game. Abingdon by 7-10 points.

11 minutes ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

Agree with ya on Richlands. But, when you gash a team by running off tackle for 300 yds at their place, that's a good sign for your offensive line and running back. Even if GC is improved, they still will have the good issue and bad issue. The good issue is the ground and pound shortening the game and keeping turnovers low and you are going to be in almost all games. The bad is......because of the above, you are also going to be in many games if you turnover or get hit with a big quick strike score. So, that's the issue for GC with their style. With their history when the talent is there, it has worked for them and it's clear their OL and RB is way better. But talent still takes time to develop and I get the feeling GC may be out talented in this game. Abingdon by 7-10 points.

How do you think GC will fair against Lucus and the Abingdon passing  game ? Lucus is a beast. 

17 minutes ago, Pioneer pride said:

How do you think GC will fair against Lucus and the Abingdon passing  game ? Lucus is a beast. 

I think Abingdon will hit some big ones. GC don't like it when teams sling it around. The way GC defends it is by running the ball and shortening the game, limiting the possessions of opponents. That's classic GC football since the 60s, same for Graham until recent and Coach Carlock was of the same mold, and Jeremy is exactly the same. It's worked for GC and clearly it worked for Coach Carlock. GC has two very, very good defensive tackles and it's going to be decided there. GC will run it some and Abingdon will hit some big passes, but turnovers and how much pressure the defensive line for GC can get on the Abingdon QB to disguise GCs lack of speed in the secondary will be crucial.

GC this year (haven't seen em) but in discussions with a couple of their staff, tells me they are very, very good from tackle to tackle on O and along the defensive front, but.....the secondary and WRs are not like the old GC teams that were a threat to go far in which they often had a couple of athletes that could cover, and could "house" a kickoff return or take a screen to the house. They are shaky here and just do not have that kind of talent yet.. GC does not have the athletes in the defensive backfield or at the skilled positions to be anywhere close to be considered, "back." But, up front, they are much better and good enough to be considered far from a cellar dwellar and no longer 2-8, 1-9, etc. 

I think Abingdon hits enough big plays in the passing game and playing at home to win it by 10. But, GC is going to have some success on the ground with the "Cahoon." GC is not a good matchup for Union in my opinion. Run oriented teams are going to have problems with GC. Not saying Union doesn't win, but if you don't have a QB or offense that can throw it well, or just has super athletes that can get the corner like Graham or Tazewell, GC will do much better. Abingdon has athletes and speed. It's not a good matchup for GC. Only my thoughts on it.  GC still may end up 4-6, but the 6 losses will not be in the same ballpark as margin of defeat compared to the past 3 years.

GC has a lot of speed I don’t think they are getting much credit for.  There were two pass plays against Richlands where the receivers had burnt the defender and one of those resulted in a 77 yard td.  If the other one was a little more in front it may have been two but the #2 for GC had to slow up a bit which allowed the db to make a great play.  The biggest issue going forward is depth.  It showed Friday with all the cramps in the 2nd half.  If they can stay healthy they will do great things this year.  Will they win a lot of games, who knows.  Abingdon will be a tough matchup with their depth alone.  On a side note, how awesome is it to always seem to be in fg range for Richlands?  That kid should be able to pick where he wants to go to college.

10 minutes ago, Hokie101 said:

That kid should be able to pick where he wants to go to college.

Yea, you would think, but numbnuts Tech hasn't offered yet. This stuff makes me so upset at my Hokies. They offer Parris a partial or preferred, then WVU comes and offers full. Smart for WVU. If your Tech, it's obvious. The kid is in your back yard. It's clear he can kick, and it's clear Texh wouldn't have to worry about a kicker for 4 years, but nope....the Hokies have to show the old folks in SWVA how big of school it is and how VT is at such an elite level that the offer isn't in yet. Meanwhile, they will recruit another 4 star athlete who played QB in Chicago and can't hit the broad side of a barn from within, and then that kid will transfer to Old Dominion in 2 years. That's my rant and enough posts for today. I am visiting Charleston, SC, and it's raining like a madman here and I'm bored and it's time to drop the mic for a few days. Go Graham High!

3 hours ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

Yea, you would think, but numbnuts Tech hasn't offered yet. This stuff makes me so upset at my Hokies. They offer Parris a partial or preferred, then WVU comes and offers full. Smart for WVU. If your Tech, it's obvious. The kid is in your back yard. It's clear he can kick, and it's clear Texh wouldn't have to worry about a kicker for 4 years, but nope....the Hokies have to show the old folks in SWVA how big of school it is and how VT is at such an elite level that the offer isn't in yet. Meanwhile, they will recruit another 4 star athlete who played QB in Chicago and can't hit the broad side of a barn from within, and then that kid will transfer to Old Dominion in 2 years. That's my rant and enough posts for today. I am visiting Charleston, SC, and it's raining like a madman here and I'm bored and it's time to drop the mic for a few days. Go Graham High!

Has anyone stopped to think that maybe he doesn’t want to go to VT??

He has a list. It’s not out there much. But it’s a nice list. 

I can see Abingdon really piling up the yards on the ground with Martin. Richlands had really good success up the middle when they brought in Gillespie but kept trying to go outside with no luck. Can also see Gate City playing them close but my gut says Abingdon runs wild. Curious to see how this one plays out. If it's close then we know GC is back. If they don't make playoffs this year i feel they're gonna be very dangerous the next 2 years.

Gate City is coming off and emotional slobber Knocker, Abingdon is coming off a easy week 1 game where I believe their starters was out mid 3rd QTR at Least. Abingdon has ton of talent and athletes Gate City has some Talent and Tons of Heart. Abingdon I think has the edge in this one being more rested due to their starters getting a qtr and a half off this past Friday.  I prob. should pick with my head on this one and take Abingdon to win, but ill like heart over talent in lots of cases and this is one of those cases. Legion Field will be Rocking Friday night im sure as their Devils pound the rock eating up Clock and eliminating Abingdons possessions and pulls out another tough win!!!!

37 minutes ago, Jags52 said:

Abingdon pulls a Tennessee football and overlooks this one and loses 30-38 because just like Georgia States head coach said in the locker room at Gate City it just means more to us

Trust me Coach Amburgey doesn’t overlook any team. Neither do his team. 

19 minutes ago, Falcon Mania said:

Trust me Coach Amburgey doesn’t overlook any team. Neither do his team. 

Kids will be kids man they have 2 bigs games after this with Pulaski and Richlands I can see it happening 

On 9/1/2019 at 2:39 PM, Ryan4VT said:

Has anyone stopped to think that maybe he doesn’t want to go to VT??

He has a list. It’s not out there much. But it’s a nice list. 

Sounds like a smart kid.

(Very disappointed no one else jumped on this set piece quicker.)

Was just wondering, Does GC still use that Train Whistle ? My ears are very sensitive to Loud High Pitched noises So was checking to see if I need to use ear plugs or not.  Thanks I’m advance!!!

17 minutes ago, Sam I Am said:

Was just wondering, Does GC still use that Train Whistle ? My ears are very sensitive to Loud High Pitched noises So was checking to see if I need to use ear plugs or not.  Thanks I’m advance!!!

I wouldn't describe it as a "whistle", but do have a set of air horns on a vehicle the last time I was there. Sounds more like a diesel locomotive.

Thanks my friend I’m at Walmart now to try and get prepared!! I feel like this will be a great atmosphere and the weather is proving to be perfect for it as well!! Good luck to both teams looking for a good old fashion SWVA football game!