Ab vs gc?

who?

4 hours ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

I can remember Coach Carlock so many times before kickoff in the locker room. Telling us we were playing for our school, our town, and each other and your actions represent all of them on and off the field.  So at Graham years ago, we were certainly playing for each other, but definitely playing for our town and our school.

Same has always been echoed at Gate City throughout the years. The kids at GC understand what it’s about to wear the blue and white. Sounds like a few more in SWVA understand it what it means to wear their name and colors as well. That’s good to hear. 

Huge LOL at what this thread turned into. Guess we are just gonna play pretend. Expecting 15-18 year old boys to put more stock into tradition and a town than playing for their coaches, each other and to impress the chicks is crazy. You can pretend GC is different, but the tradition there is no better than a few other schools. I think you guys are confusing lip service for actual motivation. 

32 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Huge LOL at what this thread turned into. Guess we are just gonna play pretend. Expecting 15-18 year old boys to put more stock into tradition and a town than playing for their coaches, each other and to impress the chicks is crazy. You can pretend GC is different, but the tradition there is no better than a few other schools. I think you guys are confusing lip service for actual motivation. 

You babies get tore all to hell after everything I say. I love it. 

Okay, I don’t usually comment on threads, as I like to watch the games I miss as they happen and keep up with everything. But I will say this; as a kid fresh out of GC, we did play for pride, tradition, the community and the love of the game. They preached it in the locker rooms, coaches and players alike. And let’s be real, as much as we took/take pride in the game and community, every single player in the locker room loved to hit hard, and get pretty gals and that’s just real. All the stuff that comes with football is great, but we didn’t stay as a team under those hard seasons just for hitting hard and women, we stayed together for each other and for Gate City and the love of the game.

Just saw this article concerning the championship game of the Appy/BSG P-Nut football league. An excerpt...“This means a lot,” an emotional Phillips said after the game. “Especially because it’s my last year. It’s been great being a Charger. I can’t wait to be a Bear.”

Maybe kids in some towns don't care about pride and tradition, but these kids do. To generalize that "95%" of kids don't care is a foolish statement. The risks of playing football are well known, so it takes a lot more than selfish reasons to pursue the game. 

And if you read the article, it's not a misprint, we have a 7th grader that can put kickoffs into the endzone. A talented group coming up. The future is bright!

http://www.thecoalfieldprogress.com/sports/chargers-go-undefeated-to-win-championship/article_972dc8d6-cfea-11e9-addb-5fa2c007c368.html

About 25-30% of any given football team truly cares about representing their school/community and upholding the history/tradition of the program. It can be preached all you want but thats just the truth, granted that percentage is probably higher at certain schools. 

How much did representing the school/community and history/tradition mean to the players at GC last year when their numbers were really low?  Not trying to throw off on those kids or the program but its just the truth.

1 hour ago, redtiger said:

About 25-30% of any given football team truly cares about representing their school/community and upholding the history/tradition of the program. It can be preached all you want but thats just the truth, granted that percentage is probably higher at certain schools. 

How much did representing the school/community and history/tradition mean to the players at GC last year when their numbers were really low?  Not trying to throw off on those kids or the program but its just the truth.

They had 46 last year which is usually the norm, so the numbers weren't low. Any school that goes 1-9 for 2 straight seasons will see a drop off in participation. This is the smallest number of kids I've seen GC have in 47 years of watching them, but after it's all over they may have the biggest heart of any team I've watched. They're not back yet, but I feel the foundation is being put down.

2 hours ago, GC_Quincy said:

They had 46 last year which is usually the norm, so the numbers weren't low. Any school that goes 1-9 for 2 straight seasons will see a drop off in participation. This is the smallest number of kids I've seen GC have in 47 years of watching them, but after it's all over they may have the biggest heart of any team I've watched. They're not back yet, but I feel the foundation is being put down.

GC ended the season with 46? 

Im not trying to throw off on all those kids that stuck it out the past 2 years at all, obviously history/tradition/community and just playing football meant a lot to them. 

On 9/8/2019 at 4:51 PM, Leatherhead Larry said:

You babies get tore all to hell after everything I say. I love it. 

I'm the upset one? Lololol read the replies dude. Everyone got all bent out of shape because I said HS kids are more interested in other things.