Gate City vs Abingdon and Crow

Hokie1Pokie

It will be interesting to see what the Devil's can do against Abingdon. I think it's close, but have Abingdon winning at home. Abingdon better be good up front and get ready for the "Cahoon" because that's a rough running back. 

Also, I just ain't feeling it. As much punches, straight rights, uppercuts and head butts the GC fans and program have taken on here, and only a couple of quick congrats in one or two single posts? Na brothers, that's a bit weak. It's crowtime. I'm a GMen diehard, and credit to GC fans on here for playing it pretty cool and not lashing out or talking smack with the win. It's a pretty good sign if a non GC fan has to serve the crow. Are you kidding me? Statements something to the effect of, "it will take 10-15 years to get GC back on track." LMAO. 

I think a few of you know who you are. Show some sack folks. They deserve a bit more than a quick, "congrats on your win." They took far to many punches for that quick of a comment. I think you know who you are. I'm sure the Abingdon guy is on pens and needles this week with the "love" he's showed for GC on here. 

On a serious note, a huge congrats to Jeremy (a good friend of mine), and for the kids, the fans, and that town. One more crow type thing. If GC has turned it around and they knock off Abingdon or Union and bust out at 6-4 this year, for the ones who hammered them on the coaching thing, and arguing it didn't matter who the coach was, you can't win there? For those people, you are going to be absolutely crow stuffed and tasting tennis shoe rubber for a while, if, and that's a big if, but if Houseright turns the thing around in one season.

If the Devil's are 6-4, did they magically find talent this year that wasn't supposed to be there for a decade. Surely, it can't be the new coach, right? Devil fans, I suspect you guys are going to be rooted against, whether open or in secret, for the rest of the year, and especially in games against Abingdon and Union. Why? Crow tastes terrible man. You can't even season it up or deep fry it to make it taste good. It's gonna be a fun ride. If GC beats Abingdon and Richlands beats Union, there's gonna be some serious nervousness setting in down that way, lol.

22 minutes ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

It will be interesting to see what the Devil's can do against Abingdon. I think it's close, but have Abingdon winning at home. Abingdon better be good up front and get ready for the "Cahoon" because that's a rough running back. 

Also, I just ain't feeling it. As much punches, straight rights, uppercuts and head butts the GC fans and program have taken on here, and only a couple of quick congrats in one or two single posts? Na brothers, that's a bit weak. It's crowtime. I'm a GMen diehard, and credit to GC fans on here for playing it pretty cool and not lashing out or talking smack with the win. It's a pretty good sign if a non GC fan has to serve the crow. Are you kidding me? Statements something to the effect of, "it will take 10-15 years to get GC back on track." LMAO. 

I think a few of you know who you are. Show some sack folks. They deserve a bit more than a quick, "congrats on your win." They took far to many punches for that quick of a comment. I think you know who you are. I'm sure the Abingdon guy is on pens and needles this week with the "love" he's showed for GC on here. 

On a serious note, a huge congrats to Jeremy (a good friend of mine), and for the kids, the fans, and that town. One more crow type thing. If GC has turned it around and they knock off Abingdon or Union and bust out at 6-4 this year, for the ones who hammered them on the coaching thing, and arguing it didn't matter who the coach was, you can't win there? For those people, you are going to be absolutely crow stuffed and tasting tennis shoe rubber for a while, if, and that's a big if, but if Houseright turns the thing around in one season.

If the Devil's are 6-4, did they magically find talent this year that wasn't supposed to be there for a decade. Surely, it can't be the new coach, right? Devil fans, I suspect you guys are going to be rooted against, whether open or in secret, for the rest of the year, and especially in games against Abingdon and Union. Why? Crow tastes terrible man. You can't even season it up or deep fry it to make it taste good. It's gonna be a fun ride. If GC beats Abingdon and Richlands beats Union, there's gonna be some serious nervousness setting in down that way, lol.

I'm glad GC is improving,  but I think Abingdon  still wins by 2 tds. After beating Richlands,  GC isn't a secret anymore. Abingdon  is well coached they will be ready. 

I’ve congratulated them in a couple of places already.  It was a stunning win, one where their best performance beat a very poor performance from Richlands.  I’m happy for Scott County, and the GC fans that haven’t been complete obnoxious, unrealistic jerks.

But overreaction is law of the land here.  Let’s see if GC can sustain it against a daunting M7 slate.  In terms of continuity, GC’s feeder systems are in substantial disrepair.  That’s going to be the difference in being a region contender and a 5-5 playoff team in the 2020s.

I noticed their numbers were still down but I didn't remember most of the skilled players I seen Friday from last year. If i remember correctly back in the offseason there might have been some talk of getting some transfers from TN. Is this the same team from last year, did they have some new kids come out or get a transfer or two? Either way glad to see them back on the right track. 

To my knowledge this is the same group of kids from last year.  Some have changed positions from last year though.  The Jenkins kid, #11, is just a sophomore and I don’t  believe he played much last year.  He had a huge impact in last Friday’s game with 2 touchdowns and the huge int at the end of the game.  Calhoun, #45, is a senior but he was hurt last year but I can’t remember what part of the season that happened.

5 hours ago, Westisthebest said:

I noticed their numbers were still down but I didn't remember most of the skilled players I seen Friday from last year. If i remember correctly back in the offseason there might have been some talk of getting some transfers from TN. Is this the same team from last year, did they have some new kids come out or get a transfer or two? Either way glad to see them back on the right track. 

42 minutes ago, Hokie101 said:

To my knowledge this is the same group of kids from last year.  Some have changed positions from last year though.  The Jenkins kid, #11, is just a sophomore and I don’t  believe he played much last year.  He had a huge impact in last Friday’s game with 2 touchdowns and the huge int at the end of the game.  Calhoun, #45, is a senior but he was hurt last year but I can’t remember what part of the season that happened.

Exactly. Same kids, different positions with the addition of the Jenkins kid. Two years ago I stated somewhere on this board that GC had talent, but it wasn't being used appropriately. Quickest, most shifty kid on the team rarely got the ball last year. I think he had over 100 yards Friday night.

A 5 star QB won't do your team much good if he's playing left guard. Amazing what happens when you have the right kid in the correct position. Looks like the complaints about Akers were spot on.

To be completely honest I think most people's reaction is....Is Richlands really that bad? I'm not saying that reaction is justified or not but I think it is the case. Now the season is 10 games and Gate City has several opportunities to prove they have what it takes and so does Richlands. I think most are tempering their enthusiasm if they are Blue Devil Fans. No one wants to get their hopes up too high over one excellent performance. But it is a very good sign to say the least for Gate City.

On the other hand one has to consider that Richlands is not very good. If that is the case they could be 0-8 going into the Lebanon game.

Only time will tell but I think most of us are hoping that Gate City is much improved instead of Richlands being way down because it makes for better overall competition and a more interesting season if more teams are good.

4 hours ago, Hokie101 said:

Im pretty sure that #2 had that game ending Int. He played that side the whole night. I could be wrong. But if it was #11 then he had 2 Ints. One off a deflection at midfield. 

All sports dynasties eventually decline and most will hit rock-bottom.  Some teams are able to rise from the ashes and be great again.  It happened to Graham (see 2010) and now they're back.  It happened to Gate City (see 2018) and they're laying the foundation for their rebuild.  It's likely to get worse at Richlands before it gets better.

8 minutes ago, Liam McPoyle said:

All sports dynasties eventually decline and most will hit rock-bottom.  Some teams are able to rise from the ashes and be great again.  It happened to Graham (see 2010) and now they're back.  It happened to Gate City (see 2018) and they're laying the foundation for their rebuild.  It's likely to get worse at Richlands before it gets better.

Exactly right...it goes it cycles...look at Giles...not a losing season since 1987 before last year and 3 state titles in that span....last year was a down year for us and this year while it should be better is still Gonna be a down year for our standards but it happens...all I can tell the fans are to continue to support the coaches that put in a lot of hours for not much pay and support the kids who work hard in the off season and during the season to give us fans something to enjoy on Friday nights

3 minutes ago, jonah58 said:

Is Richlands just not a typical Richlands team this year? I've not seen any film yet.

RHS had 2 bad snaps & 3 10-15 yard penalties that put them in impossible 3rd down situations. I’m betting Mance & Co get that cleaned up. My take: Richlands has the area’s best HC, a generational talent at kicker, and a TON of raw talent. They have the potential to go 9-0 from here on out. 

3 minutes ago, Grapeape said:

RHS had 2 bad snaps & 3 10-15 yard penalties that put them in impossible 3rd down situations. I’m betting Mance & Co get that cleaned up. My take: Richlands has the area’s best HC, a generational talent at kicker, and a TON of raw talent. They have the potential to go 9-0 from here on out. 

Sometimes these first games aren't real litmus tests. I think Gate City is improved, but I just can't make sense of them playing toe to toe with Hurly for 2 quarters then turning around and beating Richlands without some help some where. Not taking away from either team, but it is easy to fall into the "if team A beats team B, then team B should beat team C" trap. I told someone yesterday that this GC beating Richlands may be just the tip of the iceberg in surprise outcomes this year.

25 minutes ago, Grapeape said:

I'm not seeing 9-0 for Richlands after last week but anything is possible I guess. Kicker probably best in the state but he alone can't win games. 

I think folks are taking too much from the Hurley scrimmage. They flat hit Tennessee High in the mouth the week before and Richlands the week after. I'm not saying they're world beaters and I haven't even seen them in person yet. All I'll say is this bunch has confidence now, and still a huge chip on their shoulder. The town of Gate City has been starvin to death for a team that'll bust their hind ends for 48 minutes. I look for Legion Field to be rock'n and roll'n Friday night. Abingdon may win by 28 Friday night, but they could also run into a buzzsaw. Keep in mind, GC played them solid for the first half last year at Abingdon.

1 hour ago, GC_Quincy said:

I think folks are taking too much from the Hurley scrimmage. They flat hit Tennessee High in the mouth the week before and Richlands the week after. I'm not saying they're world beaters and I haven't even seen them in person yet. All I'll say is this bunch has confidence now, and still a huge chip on their shoulder. The town of Gate City has been starvin to death for a team that'll bust their hind ends for 48 minutes. I look for Legion Field to be rock'n and roll'n Friday night. Abingdon may win by 28 Friday night, but they could also run into a buzzsaw. Keep in mind, GC played them solid for the first half last year at Abingdon.

True,  but the abingdon  team in week 2 last year was breaking in a new coach and system. Abingdon  went on to win that game 45 to 13. They didn't  fix things until they lost to winless Hidden Valley team. Following that game they didn't lose  until they lost to Lord Botatort in the playoffs. Gate City might keep it close, but I'm still betting the falcons win by 2 or 3 scores. I just don't think Gate City is on their level yet. 

3 hours ago, jonah58 said:

Sometimes these first games aren't real litmus tests. I think Gate City is improved, but I just can't make sense of them playing toe to toe with Hurly for 2 quarters then turning around and beating Richlands without some help some where. Not taking away from either team, but it is easy to fall into the "if team A beats team B, then team B should beat team C" trap. I told someone yesterday that this GC beating Richlands may be just the tip of the iceberg in surprise outcomes this year.

Because Hurley was a scrimmage and Richlands was a game. Never put much stock into a scrimmage or jamboree. 

4 hours ago, Grapeape said:

Biggest penalty of the whole game was the last drive for GC that ended up being the game winning TD.  Richlands stopped us on 3rd down but a DT came in real late and dove on the running back after the whistle giving us the automatic first down.

Week 1 was a great first step for the program. Most knowledgeable GC fans will tell you that we still have a long way to go.

Our biggest hindrance will be our lack of depth. Is very difficult for a team of 30'ish to compete with a team of 50'ish. You have kids playing both ways, and they tire toward the latter stages of the games. This leads to an increased risk of injury, and  a couple of injuries can ruin your season when you have low numbers. Fatigued kids are slower. The RB they could contain early in the game, easily makes it outside in the 4th quarter.  We should be able to play with a lot of teams early in the games. The key will be how we play in the 4th quarters.

I think 5 wins would be great for this team. Get a few wins, and start building more excitement for the program. More excitement will hopefully lead to more kids wanting to play.

5 hours ago, Great City said:

Week 1 was a great first step for the program. Most knowledgeable GC fans will tell you that we still have a long way to go.

Our biggest hindrance will be our lack of depth. Is very difficult for a team of 30'ish to compete with a team of 50'ish. You have kids playing both ways, and they tire toward the latter stages of the games. This leads to an increased risk of injury, and  a couple of injuries can ruin your season when you have low numbers. Fatigued kids are slower. The RB they could contain early in the game, easily makes it outside in the 4th quarter.  We should be able to play with a lot of teams early in the games. The key will be how we play in the 4th quarters.

I think 5 wins would be great for this team. Get a few wins, and start building more excitement for the program. More excitement will hopefully lead to more kids wanting to play.

Well said! Good luck to GC for a turn around season!

GRAHAM G-MEN 2018 STATE CHAMPS!

Week 1 was a pleasant surprise. A long way to go though. Still need to get the numbers up in little league. Also need to keep those talented kids interested passed little league. I see some really talented kids quit between little league and 8th grade.