Gate City vs Abingdon and Crow

Hokie1Pokie

I'm pulling for GC in this one.  Not because they won against Richlands, but because of the heart the players showed on the field.  The GC players had no quit in them and kept their head in the game until the final play.  I liked the GC fans getting behind their team with the "We are Gate City" chant.  Not sure I would say they are back, but in my opinion their on the way.  Congratulations to all at Gate City, hope the season is a success, and all you fans enjoy it!!!

I think GC could get back to being a contender with the new coach and atmosphere.  It will help with the Mcclung and Ervin era ending as the focus among the youngsters will gradually shift back to football for the school.  It will take time for the consistency to come back through the youth programs.

10 hours ago, Elder statesman said:

I think GC could get back to being a contender with the new coach and atmosphere.  It will help with the Mcclung and Ervin era ending as the focus among the youngsters will gradually shift back to football for the school.  It will take time for the consistency to come back through the youth programs.

I agree with this. The basketball team was exciting and fun to watch and more kids leaned towards basketball. If GC can pull off a few more surprises this season, it could light a spark for more kids to want to move back to football. Wasn't that long ago kids played both. I'm not sure what happened there.

43 minutes ago, GC_Quincy said:

I agree with this. The basketball team was exciting and fun to watch and more kids leaned towards basketball. If GC can pull off a few more surprises this season, it could light a spark for more kids to want to move back to football. Wasn't that long ago kids played both. I'm not sure what happened there.

Someone posted on here years ago that GC was becoming a "basketball school" and everyone laughed about it, well it did and they had a phenomenal 6 or 7 years run but football is still the bell cow, even though the bell still hasn't rang loudly for a while, I am nowhere near ready to proclaim it back and or healthy, Coach Houseright has his work cut out for him in the future and in the present but if he could just get the kids to play that have quit playing he would add instant depth and respectability would follow.  

This year may be the best opportunity for GC to have some success in my opinion.  Just looking at their roster there will be a significant drop off for next season unless the numbers can improve.  I think that’s why everyone is so excited about the Richlands game because it allows an opportunity for the mentality to change in the halls.  If we can put together a pretty respectable season this year, maybe some of those kids that can play but aren’t change their minds.  It will be a long process but hopefully we are in the beginning stages now.  If the players play with as much heart as they did last week, which I know they will, then this could be the season everybody points back to that started the rebuild of the program.

I have mentioned the specialization issue before.  GC is a classic example.  With travel ball taking over the youth leagues, in basketball and baseball especially, the kids play year round and football becomes the sport kids leave.  Mcclung and Ervin chose to specialize to maximize their potential in basketball.  Those 2 athletes alone on the football team would have made a world of difference in GC’s records those years.  Their success and hype led other athletes to specialize for the team and the kids that idolize them choose early to play b-ball all year so they can be the next Mac.  Mix that with the current overlap of seasons and it becomes even harder.  A school that makes playoff runs every year in football hurts the basketball team because the players that do both cannot start workouts until football is over.  By the time they acclimate and team chemistry forms, basketball is 5-6 games into the season

31 minutes ago, Elder statesman said:

I have mentioned the specialization issue before.  GC is a classic example.  With travel ball taking over the youth leagues, in basketball and baseball especially, the kids play year round and football becomes the sport kids leave.  Mcclung and Ervin chose to specialize to maximize their potential in basketball.  Those 2 athletes alone on the football team would have made a world of difference in GC’s records those years.  Their success and hype led other athletes to specialize for the team and the kids that idolize them choose early to play b-ball all year so they can be the next Mac.  Mix that with the current overlap of seasons and it becomes even harder.  A school that makes playoff runs every year in football hurts the basketball team because the players that do both cannot start workouts until football is over.  By the time they acclimate and team chemistry forms, basketball is 5-6 games into the season

Mac played WR in 2015 & had a monster year. Personnel decisions lead to his specializing after the 15 season - but we’ve covered all that in previous threads. 

Transfers. Don't discount the effect that transfers can have on a program. If you win or appear to be on track and have the history of GC, 2-3 transfers across the TN/VA border can ignite a program and attentuate the youth league lags GC has had. 

One more thing, GC has been dominant in the West Region since Chad Beasley and Shoemaker, actually from the late 90s. They have had a 20 year run in Hoops. No titles before recent in Hoops, but compared to the rest of AA region 4/region D, they've been dominant for a good 20 years, not just 6-7 years.

2 hours ago, Grapeape said:

Mac played WR in 2015 & had a monster year. Personnel decisions lead to his specializing after the 15 season - but we’ve covered all that in previous threads. 

Just curious as ive had the "what if Mac played football?" discussion with friends, what were his 2015 stats?

20 minutes ago, redtiger said:

Just curious as ive had the "what if Mac played football?" discussion with friends, what were his 2015 stats?

Somebody that knows more should definitely verify, but I think he pulled in 12 TD catches & has some big runs (off  jet sweeps). I think he had some big returns. I’m the type that can remember what I had for breakfast in 1988 but can’t remember yesterday. 🤷🏽‍♂️

1 hour ago, redtiger said:

He would have been phenomenal. I watched him in the scrimmage against Elizabethton and told some Union coaches that they better keep an eye on #2(think that was his number).

He and Collier ate us alive in the game that year.

36 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

He would have been phenomenal. I watched him in the scrimmage against Elizabethton and told some Union coaches that they better keep an eye on #2(think that was his number).

He and Collier ate us alive in the game that year.

Yes you are correct and I believe he was all state as well