2019 City-County Bowl: Virginia High @ John Battle

V-Cats

2 hours ago, Bulldog05 said:

I believe V-High has this one by 14

I'm not seeing it. Virginia High is bad. I think  Battle got blown out by a very good Abingdon  team. Just like Virginia  high got beat by a good Tazewell  team. Unless Virginia  High  fixes the defense,  battle has enough speed  to hurt them. 

I think Battle  wins by 14 at least. I'm sorry to say but I think Bearcatsdad is accurate  when he said VHS  could go 0-10 to a generous 3-7. My guess is 1-9. I think they might get Marion. I honestly think Iebanon is better  than both of those teams at the moment, but who knows I could be wrong. 

Just now, Pioneer pride said:

I'm not seeing it. Virginia High is bad. I think  Battle got blown out by a very good Abingdon  team. Just like Virginia  high got beat by a good Tazewell  team. Unless Virginia  High  fixes the defense,  battle has enough speed  to hurt them. 

I think Battle  wins by 14 at least. I'm sorry to say but I think Bearcatsdad is accurate  when he said VHS  could go 0-10 to a generous 3-7. My guess is 1-9. I think they might get Marion. I honestly think Iebanon is better  than both of those teams at the moment, but who knows I could be wrong. 

Lebanon main problem  in a lot of games is going to be confidence. If they can get confident  by then I see them beating both Virginia  High  and Marion. 

I hate to say it, but JSB ends the Bearcats’ 5 game winning streak in the series.

The Trojans kept it close last year, and looked like they may pull the upset, but adjustments were finally made in the Bearcat offensive play calling in the 2nd half.

The two scores for the Bearcats on Friday night were on plays that were mirror images of each other. The #1 WR for VHS got behind the Tazewell defense for long TD passes, in a run heavy, Wing-T offense.

Tazewell’s defense is improved from last year, but still missed a lot of tackles. I believe JSB’s defense is a level above Tazewell’s. I think the Bearcats’ running game will struggle even more than the other night.

The Bearcat defense struggled worse than the offense. Their best player on defense Friday night was a freshman OLB. Now, Battle doesn’t have near the speed that Tazewell does on offense, but they do have some good athletes on that side of the ball.

The jury is still out on how the new JSB coach can make necessary adjustments against teams not named Abingdon. I don’t count that game, because I don’t believe Abingdon will lose to a 2A team this year. If this new coach does as good a job as coach Stone used to, Battle could win this one big.

11 hours ago, Bearcat Dad said:

The jury is still out on how the new JSB coach can make necessary adjustments against teams not named Abingdon. I don’t count that game, because I don’t believe Abingdon will lose to a 2A team this year. If this new coach does as good a job as coach Stone used to, Battle could win this one big.

I think Bearcat Dad is right, we will see what Ricker does now an the new adjustments that need to be made. Also not meaning to step on any ones toes at Union or Ridgeview but unless Abingdon has a bad off night I do not see them losing to a Mnt.7 distric team, when they take the field against teams they just are huge. I cant guess scores no more only have fingers crossed an hope nobody from either team gets hurt, was afraid we lost our wideout/safety for the year Friday night, not a good feeling for a kid to get hurt. So good luck to both teams.

22 hours ago, Pioneer pride said:

I Find it ironic that a lebanon fan is calling out another team. 

2 hours ago, FoxTrot said:

I Find it ironic that a lebanon fan is calling out another team. 

I didn't call out another team. I said I think lebanon is better than both marion and vhs at the moment. That is totally my opinion, and I'm totally entitled to it. If I'm wrong I'm wrong only time will tell. Sorry my comment  triggered you sheesh. 

1 hour ago, Pioneer pride said:

I didn't call out another team. I said I think lebanon is better than both marion and vhs at the moment. That is totally my opinion, and I'm totally entitled to it. If I'm wrong I'm wrong only time will tell. Sorry my comment  triggered you sheesh. 

Just calling a spade, a spade! Not saying your not entitled to your opinion. 

9 hours ago, FoxTrot said:

Just calling a spade, a spade! Not saying your not entitled to your opinion. 

Let me spell this out for you. I'm optimistic  about what's going on with the pioneers for a couple reasons. 

1. Increased numbers- the result from an expanded youth program. They should maintain  40 to 50 players per season as a result. This will increase depth. Will this produce wins over night ...no but in time they will be a playoff caliber team consistently. 

2. I'm not the only one who thinks they are improved. The Lebanon News who was quick to point out that the pioneers could go 0-10 last season picked them ahead of both Marion and VHS this season. They are very unbiased when it comes to the teams coverage. 

3. Do I think they are world  beaters who can beat any team? No, I'm realistic, I even picked Central to beat them my at least 2 scores. I also see Graham, Richlands, and Tazwell  beating them. My guess is by the time they play Marion, they will be improved and it will be a good game. I say they beat Virginia  High because I saw them play, and I've watched enough of Lebanon to form my basis for that. This is a young Pioneer team. They have talent and they are going to improve with every game.  I've said all along they win 4 games at least and I'm sticking to it. 

Their haters are going  to continue  to be their motivators. 

This rivalry used to be super fierce due to the fact that they grew up playing each other in Pee Wee/Midget rec league from flag through 7th grade. Now that league is just a memory and I feel because of that this rivalry has suffered a bit. I am afraid that because parents can't travel just a few miles to Sugar Hollow Park for great youth league competition between City and County that football participation numbers have dwindled for both schools. 

The City/County bowl championship games were always competitive and controversial. 

15 minutes ago, 50kw said:

This rivalry used to be super fierce due to the fact that they grew up playing each other in Pee Wee/Midget rec league from flag through 7th grade. Now that league is just a memory and I feel because of that this rivalry has suffered a bit. I am afraid that because parents can't travel just a few miles to Sugar Hollow Park for great youth league competition between City and County that football participation numbers have dwindled for both schools. 

The City/County bowl championship games were always competitive and controversial. 

so right in every word, when I coached High Point the bowl game was in Bearcat Stadium an it was Great. Oh but the travel ball football means so much more now days. Battle had 33 kids an I think VHS was high 20s, the rec league is the feeder program to HS, an kids parents cant do the travel ball so kids dont play an lose interest. Heck just look an do the math, not rocket science here.

I believe this game will come down to who is conditioned the best and doesn't get tired in the fourth quarter. Battle got pretty banged up last Friday and may be without some players or not at 100%

As to the current topic of loosing interest in Football, it's never a good thing when I drive by BATTLE on a Sunday and see that they have 20+ players out on the baseball field practicing with the some of the coaches.

2 hours ago, bristol8434 said:

I believe this game will come down to who is conditioned the best and doesn't get tired in the fourth quarter. Battle got pretty banged up last Friday and may be without some players or not at 100%

As to the current topic of loosing interest in Football, it's never a good thing when I drive by BATTLE on a Sunday and see that they have 20+ players out on the baseball field practicing with the some of the coaches.

God made football when he saw  man needed legal violence to help release frustration

he also saw the state of man maybe not man in 2019 coming 

so he created baseball