Top 3 players for week 1 in the SWD?

Bulldog05

11 minutes ago, Bulldog05 said:

Who’s everyone’s top 3 players this week in the SWD?

My picks are:

1. Levi Forrest. (Richlands High)

2. Chance Harris (Tazewell High)

3. Gavin Nunley (Tazewell High)

1. Levi Forrest

2. Trenton Adkins

3. Chancellor Harris

2 minutes ago, Bulldog05 said:

Where does Trenton Adkins play? TIA!

Ridgeview. He ran for 357 yards and 5 touchdowns last week. And he's being recruited to Penn St., UNC, UT, and countless other D1 schools. He's arguably the best player in SWVA. 

1 minute ago, Ryan4VT said:

Ridgeview. He ran for 357 yards and 5 touchdowns last week. And he's being recruited to Penn St., UNC, UT, and countless other D1 schools. He's arguably the best player in SWVA. 

Heck yeah man! That’s awesome. No matter what, you have to give credit where it’s due. Does Levi Forrest have any offers yet? I swear that kid is so good he could skip college and go straight to the NFL

14 minutes ago, Bulldog05 said:

Heck yeah man! That’s awesome. No matter what, you have to give credit where it’s due. Does Levi Forrest have any offers yet? I swear that kid is so good he could skip college and go straight to the NFL

He has a list of schools that are interested. Kicker offers are usually a little different than other positions. But he'll land at a well-known school across the country. 

I respect everyone's take on it, but I got to mention the obvious one.

Lester. I'm curious if some of you knew his stats against Bluefield before posting. Maybe you did, maybe you didn't, but in case you didn't, 263ish rushing yards and over 130 passing yds with other 150 passing yds negated by penalties. In summary, even with the penalties he accounted for 400 yds of offense against a team that is one bad outfit on both sides of the ball. I don't bet, but I would bet this, no single player will rush for over 225 yds against Bluefield this year, much less over 260 yds, and that includes Lord Botty and the folks upstate in WV come playoff time. One of them might beat the Beavers, but one player ain't getting those numbers on them again this year. That kid put on an absolute show and it's one of the best QB performances by a Graham QB against Bluefield in a long, long time, if not ever.

2 hours ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

I respect everyone's take on it, but I got to mention the obvious one.

Lester. I'm curious if some of you knew his stats against Bluefield before posting. Maybe you did, maybe you didn't, but in case you didn't, 263ish rushing yards and over 130 passing yds with other 150 passing yds negated by penalties. In summary, even with the penalties he accounted for 400 yds of offense against a team that is one bad outfit on both sides of the ball. I don't bet, but I would bet this, no single player will rush for over 225 yds against Bluefield this year, much less over 260 yds, and that includes Lord Botty and the folks upstate in WV come playoff time. One of them might beat the Beavers, but one player ain't getting those numbers on them again this year. That kid put on an absolute show and it's one of the best QB performances by a Graham QB against Bluefield in a long, long time, if not ever.

Lester put up unbelievable numbers. But Bluefield’s Achilles heel has always been a mobile QB. It’s almost like they don’t account for a running QB. Ben Meade beat Beaver with his legs a few years back. He was around 200 yards then. Ravenswood beat Bluefield on two separate occasions with a mobile QB. In 2010 , they lost in the state semis when they gave up 200 yards to their QB then lost 4 years later at Mitchell giving up almost 300 yards to a much smaller QB. One year against Wayne they geared up to stop a 6’4 240 fullback but gave up 160 yards on like 5 carries to a wingback turned QB. It was an impressive performance but Beaver has never faired well against a mobile QB and this years team isn’t that consistent in the middle

Lester's performance was one for the ages. Haven't seen an opponent give such a performance since Jalen Jones of Oak Hill in 2012. When you consider the level of competition his performance was awesome. Reminds me of some of those old Timex and Samsonite commercials.BTW. Saw the game film this week and the two calls that resulted in TD's being called back were the correct calls. Unfortunately the film does not show the Graham player's feet along the sideline on the fumble/strip call. The players standing on the sideline blocked the view.

20 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Adkins was the best player in all of SWVA week 1.  But yeah, the topic says SWD only so I can't help you there.  Lol.

That's debatable.  I think Lester was considering the competition and to take it further, even though not in the SW District, what about the Bluefield running back who is legit.  This guy will play and start at some point in a BCS level conference.  The absolute real deal. Again, on Lester, people discount his defensive prowess.  He was first team all state last year on both sides of the ball.  He made a crap ton of tackles on Bluefield.

7 hours ago, Bluefield researcher said:

Lester's performance was one for the ages. Haven't seen an opponent give such a performance since Jalen Jones of Oak Hill in 2012. When you consider the level of competition his performance was awesome. Reminds me of some of those old Timex and Samsonite commercials.BTW. Saw the game film this week and the two calls that resulted in TD's being called back were the correct calls. Unfortunately the film does not show the Graham player's feet along the sideline on the fumble/strip call. The players standing on the sideline blocked the view.

Agree, and looking at it, can't tell because players are on the way.  As for the TD called back on the illegal block/decleating/crack back, or whatever it's defined as, it was absolutely Illegal.  I wasn't aware of the rule changes and a few years ago, it's an awesome block, but by today's rule, that flag is thrown every single time, so the right call was made.  Unfortunately, it didn't affect the outcome of the play.  That defender was going to even get a hand on Lester (not within 3 yards when it happened) before he released the throw.  That's what is tough if your a GMen fan.  The bubble screen I have issues with.  The flag was thrown by the Referee (Head Judge) which stands behind the Offense and not by the line judge or side judge).  The Side Judge would commonly be the guy to flag a WR for holding, and the Referee often throws the flag on offensive lineman holding as well as the line judge.  That's the issue I have.  I didn't see a hold on the play for starters, and also, it's a bubble screen and the flag thrown by the referee likely indicated a hold one of the offensive lineman which is very, very, very rare for a bubble screen.  If it's a hold by a WR on a bubble, I get it, that's normal, and quickly pointed out by the side judge or line judge depending on which side of the field it occurs.  Someone would need to check that as to who threw the flag and hopefully it's on tape, but I was told by a friend, who used to play and coach at Graham setting beside me that the flag was thrown by the Referee, which is very, very, very rare on a bubble screen IF the hold is by a WR.  It happens and the Referee (The Head Official standing behind the Offense) can make any call he wants, but rare for him to make the flag on a bubble screen IF the hold is on a WR.  If it's on an offensive lineman, that's different.  I haven't seen the replay of this on film to verify IF the Referee tossed that flag instead of the side judge.   I was told that he was the guy who tossed it.

For Lester, he kept Graham in the game on O and on D having 3 touchdown saving tackles.  Best performance by a Graham QB against Bluefield that I've ever seen.  He did that to what is likely, or at least arguably, the best 2A team in Virginia (if Bluefield High played in Virginia) and in AA WV.  What I saw from this game was a high level of play and unGoshly talent from both side.  I know it was sloppy with turnovers, flags, etc, but those are self inflicted things that can be worked on.  If Bluefield and Graham don't beat themselves or have that may penalty yards and turnovers, I just can't see any team beating them, and that includes Fairmont, Point Pleasant and even Lord Botty (I think Bluefield wins down there).  And for Graham, I just think this team is at such a high level of talent that they finish out with 9 wins and go on to win the region, and maybe, maybe the state.  That's just my opinion and where I'm at with it.  The jury is still out on Buckingham.  They may be the real deal.  They've always had Appo equal talent and athleticism, but what sets them apart is the new Coach that started last year ,  He's sharp and like the Appo coach, he has kids disciplined and he knows how to use his athletes in space on offense.  

39 minutes ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

That's debatable.  I think Lester was considering the competition and to take it further, even though not in the SW District, what about the Bluefield running back who is legit.  This guy will play and start at some point in a BCS level conference.  The absolute real deal. Again, on Lester, people discount his defensive prowess.  He was first team all state last year on both sides of the ball.  He made a crap ton of tackles on Bluefield.

People do stuff that Lester and Adkins do, every single season. They both had impressive games. But name me the last time you saw a high school kicker make a 59 yarder (more than most NFL guys can make) with no wind at his back and still have 4-5 yards of clearance? Legitimately may be the single most impressive thing I've seen at a Richlands game ever. Adam Vinatieri's career long is 57 and he's the GOAT.

No doubt, Levi is the man. That's impressive and an argument for him can be made because that's record breaking stuff and really a one time occurrence in a 50 year type thing. I could see him deserving of it. But, what Adkins and Lester did does not happen every week or once a year in the context of Graham and Beaver. Bluefield is legit and incredibly good, but Lester probably did have the best performance for a Graham QB against Bluefield in this long series, and it may have been the best performance by alot.

Levi could get my vote because of both field goals. If he hit from 59, that's impressive enough, but to hit from 53 in the same game for a High School kicker is a once in a lifetime thing for about any kicker in Virginia. After thinking about this, I do see and  feel Levi is most deserving of POTW. That he did is just not done, not just in SWVA, but not common in VA or the rest of the country for one game being a kicker.

3 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

People do stuff that Lester and Adkins do, every single season. They both had impressive games. But name me the last time you saw a high school kicker make a 59 yarder (more than most NFL guys can make) with no wind at his back and still have 4-5 yards of clearance? Legitimately may be the single most impressive thing I've seen at a Richlands game ever. Adam Vinatieri's career long is 57 and he's the GOAT.

1 hour ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

No doubt, Levi is the man. That's impressive and an argument for him can be made because that's record breaking stuff and really a one time occurrence in a 50 year type thing. I could see him deserving of it. But, what Adkins and Lester did does not happen every week or once a year in the context of Graham and Beaver. Bluefield is legit and incredibly good, but Lester probably did have the best performance for a Graham QB against Bluefield in this long series, and it may have been the best performance by alot.

Levi could get my vote because of both field goals. If he hit from 59, that's impressive enough, but to hit from 53 in the same game for a High School kicker is a once in a lifetime thing for about any kicker in Virginia. After thinking about this, I do see and  feel Levi is most deserving of POTW. That he did is just not done, not just in SWVA, but not common in VA or the rest of the country for one game being a kicker.

I reserve Coalfield Sports dot com rules.  You have to win the game in order to be nominated POTW.  Graham and Richlands did not win their games.  Ridgeview did.  :P

In all seriousness, if Richlands and Graham were in the WCYB coverage area, would Adkins have still won their player of the week?  I guess we'll never know.  Does WVVA have a player of the week?

Forest is an anomaly. He only plays a few plays a game but he is the best in the state at what he does. A 59 yd field goal is awesome but it had little effect on the game. Lester's performance was incredible. He played every snap until he left with a minute to go after crashing into the Bluefield bench at high speed. He gave it his all on every play and the results were apparent. You don't have to win to be great and his performance was great. If you had to pick one player to start a team with for one year and you had to select from this board's coverage area you would pick Lester. Other players such as Sean Martin and Levi Forest are better at their individual skill but I'll start my team with Lester.

There’s always that “ he’s just a kicker “ argument. But when you take a look at the whole picture, the game has changed to accommodate offenses. Turf fields, rules changes , spread offenses , poor tackling and passive defenders. I remember thinking what the Peoples kid did a few years ago was untouchable. But every Saturday morning , you’re reading how some kid at almost any school has put up 200 plus yards on the ground. Sometimes carrying 30 times or more. I remember a kid at Pikeview running for 350 a couple years back. You guys are giving Beavers defense too much credit. They looked horrible tackling, trying to strip the ball on every play instead of wrapping up. The APC, twitter and FB has made these kids household names but they still gotta show it on the field. Martin and Davis sat out the whole 3rd quarter. If kids like RJ Buford and Jake Lilly would’ve had the hype that these kids have backing them, they would’ve been D1 easy. Give Levi Forrest credit, his accomplishments on Friday are universal for any era of football. The ball still has to clear the line and travel wether into the wind or with it.