Richlands, moving forward

Westisthebest

They may have finally found their RB in Webb. He looked great for his first time in the backfield. Very shifty and can find the wholes. This was a smart move as the QB is struggling with accuracy and it gets the ball in your playmakers hands more often. He looked like a true RB even though undersized. I think Mance relied too much on Fle when we probably shouldve went for it. The kick that got blocked was slow developing. But hindsight is always 20/20. What are their best chances moving forward or what would yall like to see Mance change?

Me personally, i like Webb at RB but would like to see a 2 RB set some to give a 1 2 punch in speed and power. Maybe Webb and Gillespie? Would also love to see Medley at TE full time and put Steele at WR to give them a little length with some speed. He's too good of an athlete to not put him on your offense somewhere. Their defense looked pretty good tonight only allowing one long sustained drive. Just my thoughts that don't really matter i guess. Would love to see them turn this offense around and at least finish 5-5. Ill keep saying it, i believe the potential is there. We found out GC is for real and were up on Union 3-0 to start the 4th. Just gotta find something on offense. Gonna keep the hope. 

Btw who else was wowed that Fle ran down number 32 on that blocked FG? Who knew our kicker had some wheels?

Just now, Ryan4VT said:

Yep. 

with his size and speed, I bet he's a great scorer. He is built like a Lewandowski or a less buff and less silly looking Bale (man buns, smh), seems like he can be a threat in the box with his head and in space with his speed and leg power. I

are you as nonplussed for the EPL season as I am? I'm excited to see what Pusilic can do for us but I can't see Chelsea being a factor at all in the top four. I hope for a UCL berth but it's gonna be tough. City, Liverpool, Spurs are all great then Chelsea is in group with Arsenal, United lol they still suck tho.

We can only have opinions about what the Blues do moving forward, and what we would like to see happen or change, so here's mine.

I'd like to see Simmons moved to RB and bring Cox in as QB to let him get the experience for next year.  May even line Webb and Simmons up together in the backfield.  

1 hour ago, GMan said:

Richlands needs to fall out of love with the 3 ball and start going for 6...a kicker is a mighty weapon but he can't carry the team...

They can't get seem to get in for 6.....they been inside the 20 multiple times and can't seem to punch it in.....

14 minutes ago, #1BLUESFAN said:

They can't get seem to get in for 6.....they been inside the 20 multiple times and can't seem to punch it in.....

Agree, the Blues have got to find a way of putting points on the board.  Multiple trips into the red zone in the first two games and came up empty.  The defense is far ahead of the offense.  In both games so far, the offense moved the ball well between the 20's, but once inside the 20, the offense failed.  I'm sure Mance and company are working on this, sense both games were in reach of winning.  If the Blues had scored every time they entered the 20, they would be 2-0 not 0-2, but if a frog had wings......................  In the end we all have to remember, it's just a game, to be enjoyed by all.  GO BLUES!!!

My biggest issue is that someone needs to make a big play other than Webb.  The punt block was really the only thing big that brought a lot of energy.   If Steele can get going or Gillespie it would do a great deal. Or if tarter and whited get more involved in the pass game.   Whited may have to be spread out  in order to create some mismatch opportunities.  Medley as well.   If not , there is no choice but to pack it in and ground it out. But watching union bring 9 guys to the line of scrimmage when Webb was torching them ,  let me know that they feared no one else at that particular time. And they were able to shut him down somewhat.   Maybe we could have at aired one deep to one of the other receivers and try to back them off but it’s easy to second guess. I still say that it is a personnel issue more than anything. A lot of these players are good but are they better than what Richlands has had the last decade ? No.  Only about 3 of these guys would have started  as little as maybe 3 years ago.  Got to get some speed and athleticism.  The brown kid that is a freshman will be tough. Just give him a few more weeks.  Some of these sophomores have potential as well.  But right now your playing some tough competition without the luxury of a lot of talent.  

Put Webb and Gillespie in the backfield at the same time . Move #5 to wideout in place of Webb. Mix it up running Gillespie up the middle and have Gillespie lead block for Webb around the ends . When the defense packs them in , throw the ball short across the middle to Whited or long if it's there to #5 or #1 or Altizer when they are all healthy. Play some ball control and keep our defense off the field so they won't be used up by halftime.

Here's a fresh idea for ya!  Get out of the Spread. You have two guys that are 6'5" or 6'6" (Whited and Cox.)  Put them at TE, load the backfield with your speed, select your best five linemen (that would include Ethan Phipps) and run the damn ball.  That was easy, take all the receivers off the field and make them running backs.

48 minutes ago, rhs82 said:

Put Webb and Gillespie in the backfield at the same time . Move #5 to wideout in place of Webb. Mix it up running Gillespie up the middle and have Gillespie lead block for Webb around the ends . When the defense packs them in , throw the ball short across the middle to Whited or long if it's there to #5 or #1 or Altizer when they are all healthy. Play some ball control and keep our defense off the field so they won't be used up by halftime.

This is exactly what i would love to see. Webb and Gillespie in the backfield, Medley at TE who can block, hit him for a screen or go deep and Steele at wideout gives you some length and speed. Not sure why Steele hasnt been tried at wideout. Maybe bad hands?

3 hours ago, old_school_blue said:

Here's a fresh idea for ya!  Get out of the Spread. You have two guys that are 6'5" or 6'6" (Whited and Cox.)  Put them at TE, load the backfield with your speed, select your best five linemen (that would include Ethan Phipps) and run the damn ball.  That was easy, take all the receivers off the field and make them running backs.

We aren't built to do that. They’re taught the spread so young now that the linemen grow up learning pass blocking. We don’t know how to run that type of offense anymore. 

14 hours ago, #1BLUESFAN said:

They are playing for a FG because they know it is a sure thing.  They aren't concerned if they don't score 6 because they know Levi has their back...there is not urgency to get a TD.  They have to get out of that mentality and score 6...period.  And I'm not talking about two FGs...

On 9/10/2019 at 5:55 AM, GMan said:

They are playing for a FG because they know it is a sure thing.  They aren't concerned if they don't score 6 because they know Levi has their back...there is not urgency to get a TD.  They have to get out of that mentality and score 6...period.  And I'm not talking about two FGs...

He is by far the best kicker around the area but you can't ask a HS kid to be automatic every time.  but I agree with you, I can't believe Mance didn't at least try for a TD once against Union. If they had scored one TD in the first half against Union, it's a totally different game. And the decision to try the kick in the fourth quarter blew my mind. Union had ate up almost entire third quarter with a drive, seemed to be clicking on the ground, and the score was 7-3. I know a FG makes it to where a FG could win game, but there was almost an entire quarter left and Webb had found success as the runner. It really baffled me that he would go that conservative there. 

On 9/9/2019 at 8:48 PM, old_school_blue said:

The whole point of the spread offense is to spread people out. It is a lot easier to to run the football against a 5 or 6 man box that is just a fact. Richlands has the ability to go 10 personnel and run for 200 yards a game because usually have one of the best passing attacks in swva because Mance does a great job with the pass concepts and 7 on 7 in the summer. I get the old school idea of you need 2 TE and a FB in the game or you can’t run the ball because that’s what swva is use to but here is a little math for you 5 lineman + 2 TE + 2 backs + 1 QB = 10 players guess how many defensive players you have in the box... 10 and you eliminate all the fancy Q runs that you can do out of the spread to account for that last defender you can block if you have a 6 man box. I would rather take my chances with 5 guys blocking perfect than trying to block 10 people any day of the week. This is all just my opinion though I’m just a young buck that likes a fast paced wide open offense that shows the coach’s creativity instead of 3 yards and a cloud of dust of running the same 4 plays over and over and over again.. 

5 minutes ago, Jags52 said:

The whole point of the spread offense is to spread people out. It is a lot easier to to run the football against a 5 or 6 man box that is just a fact. Richlands has the ability to go 10 personnel and run for 200 yards a game because usually have one of the best passing attacks in swva because Mance does a great job with the pass concepts and 7 on 7 in the summer. I get the old school idea of you need 2 TE and a FB in the game or you can’t run the ball because that’s what swva is use to but here is a little math for you 5 lineman + 2 TE + 2 backs + 1 QB = 10 players guess how many defensive players you have in the box... 10 and you eliminate all the fancy Q runs that you can do out of the spread to account for that last defender you can block if you have a 6 man box. I would rather take my chances with 5 guys blocking perfect than trying to block 10 people any day of the week. This is all just my opinion though I’m just a young buck that likes a fast paced wide open offense that shows the coach’s creativity instead of 3 yards and a cloud of dust of running the same 4 plays over and over and over again.. 

I won't get into the debate of which formation is better because at the HS level, your personnel should really dictate that. And a good coach will adapt their offense to best take advantage of their players' skill set. Round peg, round hole concept. No one offense will work at every school. Richlands and Giles are perfect examples because they are on complete opposites of the spectrum. Giles has been running the single wing forever. Some years they're great, some years they're good and some years they're not. Offense is the same year in and year out. Only the players change. Everyone knows what they're running, but in the great years, nobody can stop them.

Richlands has run the spread for, what, 15 years or so? Same as Giles, great, good and not so good years. The offense has stayed the same, but the players are different each year. Sometimes you have the players to run the offense of your choice and sometimes you don't. When you have athletes and speed everywhere, spread them out and force them to match up. When you have 5 - 6'5", 300 lb lineman and 230 lb RBs, cram it down their throat.

Looking at Giles and Richlands, who both have great, long tenured coaches, proves that success has more to do with getting your talent in the right position to succeed rather than any particular offensive scheme. Now, when you're talking about college or NFL, where you can pick your talent, a whole different argument can be made.

33 minutes ago, Jags52 said:

The whole point of the spread offense is to spread people out. It is a lot easier to to run the football against a 5 or 6 man box that is just a fact. 

Thats where you're wrong, and Union just proved it.  Lets say were trying to run in the A gaps, in the spread you're running Inside Zone against 4 guys (typically 2 DTs and 2 LBs) at the high school level, in the T you're running FB Dive against the same 4 guys. Plus your math is wrong; 5 OL + 2 TEs + 2 backs + 1 QB = 10 but the defense has to respect the pass and theyre not gonna put more than 9 in the box, if they go 10 then play action is there all day. 

I get the concept of relying on fewer blocks to gain yards but what you lose is deception, its hard to be sure who has the ball when Union is running Dive/Belly all night, and unsure linebackers play flat footed and slow. 

Spread offense may be fun to watch but you know whats not fun to watch? An offense that only scores 3 points. 

Plus dont forget 2 TE, 2 Back, shotgun ...