Richlands, moving forward

Westisthebest

2 hours ago, old_school_blue said:

What you do not understand is mentality.  3 yards and a cloud of dust wins championships.....If we had more dust against Appo a couple years ago (21-6 lead with 6 minutes left in 4th) Richlands would have won a state title.  In football, maliciousness beats creativity.....Union wore us out running four plays.  That is what Turner likes...that what his father liked....beating teams up physically....making people quit...winning through attrition.  From a coaching standpoint, I would rather beat you to death and make you quit...that is more satisfying...that is what you don't understand......it's not about blocking 10 people...it about whipping their ass until they backpedal every play.......

Trust me a understand mentality. There is not a better feeling in the world than looking across the line of scrimmage and seeing the that defense defeated I’ve seen that look plenty of times it’s awesome. You don’t have to put everyone in the box to do that. Just use tempo. Richlands has was 80 players on there team? Snap the ball with 30 seconds on the play clock and run the ball down their throat and throw it enough to keep the box thin that is how you wear a team down. 3 yards and a cloud of dust hasn’t won a championship in 2a for the last 4 years by the way. Even appo started to get away for the split back veer

25 minutes ago, Long Legged Turd Cutter said:

Am I the only one that thinks it maybe time for Mance to hang them up?

That a bold statement, let’s see how this gets answered. 

I really don’t know, I’m anxious to see the responses of this one 

23 minutes ago, Long Legged Turd Cutter said:

You are probably not the only one that thinks that but I'd say you are one of the few from Richlands that does. Now as an opposing fan if he wants to hang it up that's fine by me! Lol. In all honesty for the kids in this part of the state he has done well to get them attention that may not have happened. A coach like Mance doesn't come around very often so hoping he hangs it up isn't in the best interest for Richlands or the surrounding schools. That's just my opinion. Take it for what its worth.

2 hours ago, Long Legged Turd Cutter said:

You've only posted 9 times and you come out with this!  No Mance should coach at Richlands until HE feels its time to hang it up.  We've all been spoiled by the last 10 years or so of winning, and many feel that if a Mance coached team doesn't win every game he should hang it up. Back in my time at Richlands, (many, many, moons ago) we felt good if we won 3 or 4 games a year, and many times we gauged our teams not by wins, but by how well we played Gate City or Bluefield.  I remember getting beat by both teams by several points and saying we had a good game.  We Richlands fans have focused so mush on win, win, win, and have sometimes forgotten that a winning season is so much sweeter after a loosing season.  I for one don't enjoy loosing, but I've noticed over the years that SWVA talent comes and goes in cycles, and Richlands talent is on the down side of that cycle, not the fault of coaching, or the effort of the players, just the same old usual talent cycle.  As Arron Rodgers told the Packers fans a few years ago, "Stay Calm".  Mance is still the best coach for the Blues and will be until he decides to walk away, and then we can be in the stands wishing we had him back, and remembering how good a coach he was.

Agreed blue 72. Anyone that want to run that man out of Richlands is out of their mind! Or a fan of another team trying to stir things up. If your team has to play for championships every year or you want the coach gone move to Riverheads or jump on the Alabama Clemson or Patriots band wagon.  

8 hours ago, old_school_blue said:

You cannot compare De La Salle to Richlands.  That in itself is simply ridiculous....although I am sure Mance would salivate at the athletes found at such a school.  Answer me this....(1) In the last twenty years, when Richlands has the "winningest" coach in the area and a program you are comparing to De La Salle, why have they (Richlands) only won one state championship.  And..(2)...How have they only won one when they have found themselves in five or six title games and have only faced one team in the finals better than they were (Monticello...my opion of course...however, I will argue.)

I’m not at all calling them De La Salle you are right that is dumb.. the whole reason I posted what I did in the first place is to make the point Richlands problem isn’t scheme Mance is one of the best in the business when it comes to take so completely changing offense is absolutely crazy and shine light on why the spread works and so many people run it. As far as your 2 questions I wasn’t comparing them and I’ve only been in the area for one of those finals appearances and IMO Appo 5 scores better than Richlands that year. They have athletes far more athletes and that makes a world of difference. 

@redtiger I’ve enjoyed the conversation. I like running the ball more than most people on this board I like prefer doing it with less box players. Even if a team has 9 in the box with 2 high (which makes no since to me but whatever) you still need 9 guys to execute vs  6 with high school kids I like my chances. I guess we will just have to disagree

9 minutes ago, Jags52 said:

I’m not at all calling them De La Salle you are right that is dumb.. the whole reason I posted what I did in the first place is to make the point Richlands problem isn’t scheme Mance is one of the best in the business when it comes to take so completely changing offense is absolutely crazy and shine light on why the spread works and so many people run it. As far as your 2 questions I wasn’t comparing them and I’ve only been in the area for one of those finals appearances and IMO Appo 5 scores better than Richlands that year. They have athletes far more athletes and that makes a world of difference. 

@redtiger I’ve enjoyed the conversation. I like running the ball more than most people on this board I like prefer doing it with less box players. Even if a team has 9 in the box with 2 high (which makes no since to me but whatever) you still need 9 guys to execute vs  6 with high school kids I like my chances. I guess we will just have to disagree

Appo was 5 scores better??????Richlands was up 2 touchdowns with 6 minutes left.  Put down the shovel and stop digging!!! 

2 hours ago, Blue 72 said:

You've only posted 9 times and you come out with this!  No Mance should coach at Richlands until HE feels its time to hang it up.  We've all been spoiled by the last 10 years or so of winning, and many feel that if a Mance coached team doesn't win every game he should hang it up.  Mance is still the best coach for the Blues and will be until he decides to walk away, and then we can be in the stands wishing we had him back, and remembering how good a coach he was.  

^^^This^^^

Don't feel it's many, just someone who has an axe to grind for whatever reason.

36 minutes ago, old_school_blue said:

Appo was 5 scores better??????Richlands was up 2 touchdowns with 6 minutes left.  Put down the shovel and stop digging!!! 

2016 Appo 42 Richlands 7 how can you be 2 scores up when you only scored once? I can’t speak to anything before 2015 season I wasn’t in the area. Calm down I’ve done nothing but compliment your team man.

For all the praise on Union's three yards and cloud of dust offense, it's produced zero state titles while Graham, running a more wide open offense, has the hardware. That's not a knock on Union at all.

Unions problems happen if they fall behind, it's tough to make up multiple scores if you lack the ability to put up points quick. 12-play, ten minute scoring drives are fantastic if you're winning or tied, but if you're down 21-7 in the second half, those drives hurt you. Union was a better team than Appomattox in 2017, but they fell behind early and ran out of time coming back. If you can run the ball consistently, great. But you have to be able to attack a defense in multiple ways unless you're so much more talented than the opposition. 

46 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

For all the praise on Union's three yards and cloud of dust offense, it's produced zero state titles while Graham, running a more wide open offense, has the hardware. That's not a knock on Union at all.

Unions problems happen if they fall behind, it's tough to make up multiple scores if you lack the ability to put up points quick. 12-play, ten minute scoring drives are fantastic if you're winning or tied, but if you're down 21-7 in the second half, those drives hurt you. Union was a better team than Appomattox in 2017, but they fell behind early and ran out of time coming back. If you can run the ball consistently, great. But you have to be able to attack a defense in multiple ways unless you're so much more talented than the opposition. 

If you take the quarterback of last year's Graham team.....they do not win a state title.....probably not in the finals.  He was the most dynamic play-maker I saw in years.  And that is the only Graham title running spread.  Carlock was a wishbone man.

5 hours ago, Blue 72 said:

You've only posted 9 times and you come out with this!  No Mance should coach at Richlands until HE feels its time to hang it up.  We've all been spoiled by the last 10 years or so of winning, and many feel that if a Mance coached team doesn't win every game he should hang it up. Back in my time at Richlands, (many, many, moons ago) we felt good if we won 3 or 4 games a year, and many times we gauged our teams not by wins, but by how well we played Gate City or Bluefield.  I remember getting beat by both teams by several points and saying we had a good game.  We Richlands fans have focused so mush on win, win, win, and have sometimes forgotten that a winning season is so much sweeter after a loosing season.  I for one don't enjoy loosing, but I've noticed over the years that SWVA talent comes and goes in cycles, and Richlands talent is on the down side of that cycle, not the fault of coaching, or the effort of the players, just the same old usual talent cycle.  As Arron Rodgers told the Packers fans a few years ago, "Stay Calm".  Mance is still the best coach for the Blues and will be until he decides to walk away, and then we can be in the stands wishing we had him back, and remembering how good a coach he was.

This ^^

1 hour ago, Tiger 2000 said:

I’ve got 199 reasons Mance can stay as long as he wants.   

And this ^^.......enough said !

We, ( Richlands fans )  have been so spoiled over the last 20 or so years that most have forgotten or too young to remember what the 70's and most of the 80's were like as a Blues fan,  but I have a bad feeling that when coach Mance does decide to move on or retire, everyone will remember VERY quickly !

7 hours ago, old_school_blue said:

If you take the quarterback of last year's Graham team.....they do not win a state title.....probably not in the finals.  He was the most dynamic play-maker I saw in years.  And that is the only Graham title running spread.  Carlock was a wishbone man.

Union had a dynamic D1 athlete in 2017 as well but fell behind in the semis and ran out of time coming back. Allen was absolutely fantastic but I'm not sure he was head and shoulders ahead of Mitchell as an athlete. QB, 100% for sure no doubt but as an athlete, Mitchell was comparable. Hard to compare different positions. 

8 hours ago, Jags52 said:

2016 Appo 42 Richlands 7 how can you be 2 scores up when you only scored once? I can’t speak to anything before 2015 season I wasn’t in the area. Calm down I’ve done nothing but compliment your team man.

I think the most unwise decision Mance made in 2016 was getting rid of Snake , messed with team's mojo. He'd probably tell you that himself now. With that said, Mance is a great coach and he stays at Richlands for all eternity if he wants. I'd like to see him step up to college level somewhere when he decides to retire from HS. I think he could be an asset to programs like UVA-Wise, Bluefield College or elsewhere. He's a definite VHSL future Hall of Famer. As for rest of this season, I'd say he'll figure it out. By end of season, no one will want to meet them in first round of playoffs. 

4 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Union had a dynamic D1 athlete in 2017 as well but fell behind in the semis and ran out of time coming back. Allen was absolutely fantastic but I'm not sure he was head and shoulders ahead of Mitchell as an athlete. QB, 100% for sure no doubt but as an athlete, Mitchell was comparable. Hard to compare different positions. 

Agree with you.  You witnessed what happened when Allen didn't have the lineplay in 2017 like he did at 2018 down at Big Stone Gap.  No matter how good, when a team is that much better than you, it's a tough go of it.  Carlock was a wishbone bone as one poster alluded, but not in the since you would think he was.  Carlock would better be described as a run oriented coach and run first coach for sure, but actually......Not a lot of option for Graham in the Wishbone years (late 80s starting it as he didn't run it from 71ish until the late 80s.  But, Graham lined up in a wishbone formation, but you would still see more traps and dives.....did I write more traps......I should write that again, more traps out of the wishbone formation and dives compared to the actual option play from the wishbone.  Graham certainly ran option, but for a wishbone set, they would probably be the least "option running" team out of the Wishbone set compared to the overwhelming majority of teams in Va that ran out of the wishbone set.

15 minutes ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

Agree with you.  You witnessed what happened when Allen didn't have the lineplay in 2017 like he did at 2018 down at Big Stone Gap.  No matter how good, when a team is that much better than you, it's a tough go of it.  Carlock was a wishbone bone as one poster alluded, but not in the since you would think he was.  Carlock would better be described as a run oriented coach and run first coach for sure, but actually......Not a lot of option for Graham in the Wishbone years (late 80s starting it as he didn't run it from 71ish until the late 80s.  But, Graham lined up in a wishbone formation, but you would still see more traps and dives.....did I write more traps......I should write that again, more traps out of the wishbone formation and dives compared to the actual option play from the wishbone.  Graham certainly ran option, but for a wishbone set, they would probably be the least "option running" team out of the Wishbone set compared to the overwhelming majority of teams in Va that ran out of the wishbone set.

Having officiated a few of Grahams game with Bradshaw there at the end of the Carlock era, it seems like there was a lot of unbalanced formations with counters ran to the weak side numerous times throughout the game.

7 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Hard to disagree with that.  Mitchell was phenomenal,  he was more of a throwback old school football player.  When needed, he could carry his team.

On 9/13/2019 at 11:48 AM, Blue 72 said:

My bad, I am new to the site and didn't realize that you have to have made a certain number of posts before asking a hard question.  Obviously, I feel like the guy was a great coach with a great track record but eventually old father time will catch up to us all.  At some point Blue72, I am sure your forum posting game will slip a little bit and you will not be able to jump all over a new member asking a simple question like you did so well here. 

16 hours ago, Long Legged Turd Cutter said:

My bad, I am new to the site and didn't realize that you have to have made a certain number of posts before asking a hard question.  Obviously, I feel like the guy was a great coach with a great track record but eventually old father time will catch up to us all.  At some point Blue72, I am sure your forum posting game will slip a little bit and you will not be able to jump all over a new member asking a simple question like you did so well here. 

The way you posted the question was like Mance was beyond his time and his coaching skills were not up to par, with which I totally disagree.  Nothing wrong from my view point with you being new to the board, glad to have you here and appreciate your outlook, sorry for being so direct, but I'm at fault for letting your post rub me the wrong way.  You may not have had the intention of implicating that Mance is slipping, but myself and several others, took it that way.  Don't let this old (sometime grumpy) fan keep you from posting, by all means.  Glad to hear from you.