UNION vs LETCHER COUNTY

UNION#ATW

8 hours ago, Ol Dawg said:

No one can accuse Coach Turner of dodging competition.  My guess is he scheduled who had an opening.  We don't fill our schedule with 1A cupcakes lol.  But it sounds like LCC is down from what I gather.  Time will tell.

Union usually has a tough OOC schedule but it wasn't that long ago Eastside was on the schedule lol. And honestly I'd rather see them play Eastside as opposed to LCC, because LCC never gives any power points and then you have to play in KY every two years. 

13 hours ago, Ol Dawg said:

No one can accuse Coach Turner of dodging competition.  My guess is he scheduled who had an opening.  We don't fill our schedule with 1A cupcakes lol.  But it sounds like LCC is down from what I gather.  Time will tell.

Give me a break, I guarantee he didn't make a call to Johnson Central or Belfry! But I will say I don't blame him!

I can confirm that Union tries to schedule tough but in reality they have a hard time getting people to play them. They are on the receiving end of the dodging. If it was a Home and away series offer, I know coach Johnson would have flurted the idea of playing union just to fill the schedule and get them 10 games.

25 minutes ago, TwhscoachT said:

I can confirm that Union tries to schedule tough but in reality they have a hard time getting people to play them. They are on the receiving end of the dodging. If it was a Home and away series offer, I know coach Johnson would have flurted the idea of playing union just to fill the schedule and get them 10 games.

This makes sense for both parties, honestly, in terms of postseason goals.  Union would be prohibitively favored, and TW would be a better option for power points than several other A schools in Union’s proximity.  TW is a school that needs no preface concerning its light scheduling, and playing a team like Union would finally show that TW is serious about playing competition that would prepare them for the playoffs.

3 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

This makes sense for both parties, honestly.  Union would be prohibitively favored, and TW would be a better option for power points than several other A schools in their proximity.  TW is a school that needs no preface concerning its light scheduling, and playing a team like Union would finally show that TW is serious about playing competition that would prepare them for the playoffs.

May I add the away and away series was the deal breaker, too much money to be gained from hosting them or another team. At a 1a school money talks.

1 hour ago, TwhscoachT said:

May I add the away and away series was the deal breaker, too much money to be gained from hosting them or another team. At a 1a school money talks.

You may know for sure, but I was told that Union paid TW $2500 to come back to BSG for the 2012 game. Not sure what was offered for any future home/home games.

And I think TW was going to be on the schedule had we not gotten MoWest for 17/18 cycle.

4 hours ago, Black Bears said:

Give me a break, I guarantee he didn't make a call to Johnson Central or Belfry! But I will say I don't blame him!

Yeah I'm sure you know all the calls that were placed.   😕

Union has never shied away  from tough OOC games. Why else would they schedule Richlands, Graham and Paintsville? Morristown West, a huge school, has been on the schedule. 

maybe he didn't call those schools so Union wouldn't have to play in BFE KY 11-on-14? Union has talked with schools like Elizabethton, Science Hill, etc... 

18 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Yeah I'm sure you know all the calls that were placed.   😕

Union has never shied away  from tough OOC games. Why else would they schedule Richlands, Graham and Paintsville? Morristown West, a huge school, has been on the schedule. 

maybe he didn't call those schools so Union wouldn't have to play in BFE KY 11-on-14? Union has talked with schools like Elizabethton, Science Hill, etc... 

Let me guess you do! Call it what ya want, their is a reason he didn't call them! 

2 minutes ago, Black Bears said:

Let me guess you do! Call it what ya want, their is a reason he didn't call them! 

He called Graham and I guarantee they wouldn't have a problem with mighty Belfry, didn't Richlands spank them a couple years back in a scrimmage

6 minutes ago, Black Bears said:

Hell no I have no idea. But I didn't pretend I did. Also, why the hell would Union try and schedule those schools? Because they're good? There's several schools closer that would fit that bill.

Union is scared, they didn't even try to set up games with Greeneville, Miami Northwestern or Highland Springs!!!!!!

1 minute ago, BigWinners said:

Hell no I have no idea. But I didn't pretend I did. Also, why the hell would Union try and schedule those schools? Because they're good? There's several schools closer that would fit that bill.

Union is scared, they didn't even try to set up games with Greeneville, Miami Northwestern or Highland Springs!!!!!!

I've met a few eastern Kentucky fans and they all believe they're better than SWVA football because all they can do is throw out names like Belfry or pikeville they pick the 2 or 3 best teams they have and it makes the whole area look better even though they only have 4-5 good teams

Just now, goose111874 said:

I've met a few eastern Kentucky fans and they all believe they're better than SWVA football because all they can do is throw out names like Belfry or pikeville they pick the 2 or 3 best teams they have and it makes the whole area look better even though they only have 4-5 good teams

On the whole, VA football is considerably better. The number of blue chip recruits, number of kids on D1 rosters, etc... VA is a top ten state in producing elite talent (8th), regularly produces double digit 4* and 5* recruits, compared to KY, who was 29th and didn't produce double digits total in the years SB Nation looked at:

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2016/6/28/12040586/rankings-state-stars-florida-texas-california

Bleacher Report had KY ranked 38th, last actual state, in their rankings of elite talent produced (5* recruits or All-Americans). Virginia was 8th, ahead of hotbeds like PA, NC, SC, etc..

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2713445-ranking-every-state-by-elite-college-football-talent-produced#slide17

VA produced 5.6% of HS players recruited by D1 schools per NCAA research, KY produced 4.0%

https://mobile.twitter.com/NCAAResearch/status/854330443629572097?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^854330443629572097&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.sbnation.com%2Fcollege-football-recruiting%2F2017%2F4%2F18%2F15340728%2Frecruits-per-state-ncaa-map

32 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

We are trying to pick up Bishop Gorman though

I would say Union doesn’t run from competition from what I have seen. I don’t know much about Paintsville KY but I shall take your all’s word for it that they are good. 

But playing Graham, the Virginia 2A defending champions sounds like good competition. Richlands has usually had an excellent program. 

Union sounds like they’d have some good series against some teams here in the Roanoke Valley and New River Valley.

12 hours ago, BigWinners said:

On the whole, VA football is considerably better. The number of blue chip recruits, number of kids on D1 rosters, etc... VA is a top ten state in producing elite talent (8th), regularly produces double digit 4* and 5* recruits, compared to KY, who was 29th and didn't produce double digits total in the years SB Nation looked at:

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2016/6/28/12040586/rankings-state-stars-florida-texas-california

Bleacher Report had KY ranked 38th, last actual state, in their rankings of elite talent produced (5* recruits or All-Americans). Virginia was 8th, ahead of hotbeds like PA, NC, SC, etc..

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2713445-ranking-every-state-by-elite-college-football-talent-produced#slide17

VA produced 5.6% of HS players recruited by D1 schools per NCAA research, KY produced 4.0%

https://mobile.twitter.com/NCAAResearch/status/854330443629572097?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^854330443629572097&re

12 hours ago, goose111874 said:

if you compare East Ky teams to southwest Va and not the whole state. East Ky is better. Take 2-3 teams from South West Va and that's all you got.

12 hours ago, goose111874 said:

He called Graham and I guarantee they wouldn't have a problem with mighty Belfry, didn't Richlands spank them a couple years back in a scrimmage

Ok, a scrimmage come on. Put them on the schedule and see what happens.

Just now, UNION#ATW said:

I've never been over that way...is that a good place to eat?

Definitely man. I work over in KY and frequent there often when I’m down in the area. Also if you like BBQ there’s a place on the 4lane headed towards pound called Crooked Road BBQ, it’s great food as well