Patrick Henry @ Hurley

HHSREBELS

5 hours ago, Widespread_Panic said:

I think PH has the easiest schedule in SWVA. 

Facts! And that is why in the passed with the old playoff system when they had Humphrey Buchanan and the big QB they had they always got bounce early. I think those teams where better but they have a chance to challenge for the region with the brown kid who is hands down the best player on the field in every game they play. With that being said Coach Palmer finds a way in win this one easily on the cliff

5 hours ago, Widespread_Panic said:

I think PH has the easiest schedule in SWVA. 

district:

Holston

Chilhowie

Northwood 

Rural Retreat

non district opponents:

Castlewood

Eastside

Hurley

Lee 

John Battle

Honaker

no offense to either team but they got TS and RC off schedule and added two stronger teams. Not a cake walk schedule IMO: Battle and Lee both 2A, Castlewood and eastside both on the better half of the Cumberland district, honaker and Hurley are both solid and physical teams every year. Wins don’t dictate the challenge a team poses. Look at the rest of 1D team for team these schedules aren’t that different. 

2 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

PH is just battling for 2nd in that category...

Who is First? I'm curious. Two teams come to mind for me, but they are appropriate considering the circumstances. It is a decent schedule for a 1a school who is at their cycle's peak.   

PH playoff record 5-6 over last  18 years Not sure about the strength of schedule  but the teams that bounced the Rebels looks to be the same teams that bounced everyone else.

2018 2-1 lost to state finalist Chilhowie

2017 1-1 Lost to Burton (respected program)

2016 1-1 Lost to GW (lost is state semi)

2015 0-1 upset first round by Bland

2014 1-1 Lost to Galax ( Best 1 A program west side)

2012 0-1 lost to Honaker

12 hours ago, BobBelcher said:

no offense to either team but they got TS and RC off schedule and added two stronger teams. Not a cake walk schedule IMO: Battle and Lee both 2A, Castlewood and eastside both on the better half of the Cumberland district, honaker and Hurley are both solid and physical teams every year. Wins don’t dictate the challenge a team poses. Look at the rest of 1D team for team these schedules aren’t that different. 

Battle and Lee are 2A schools that consistently finish in the bottom of the Mountain District. The rest of the schools on their schedule are far from consistent winners outside of Chilhowie. It will be hard for PH to go far into the playoffs when their schedule doesn't give them much competition. Chilhowie and Burton have schedules that PH should try to emulate. 

Burton plays in the cumberland which I am guessing is the teams that is in question over the last several years. I think we as fans put too much stock into season schedules. In 1A and even 2A 1 injury can change a season and the real key to playoff success is the health of a team. Chilhowie has played a tough schedule and they have had great success. I wonder what their playoff record would look like over the last 10 years? 

1 hour ago, Widespread_Panic said:

Battle and Lee are 2A schools that consistently finish in the bottom of the Mountain District. The rest of the schools on their schedule are far from consistent winners outside of Chilhowie. It will be hard for PH to go far into the playoffs when their schedule doesn't give them much competition. Chilhowie and Burton have schedules that PH should try to emulate. 

Tough schedule or not, PH played toe to toe with Abingdon on film and everybody loves Abingdon on here. Maybe that means something down the road?

Looking at both schedules if they both stay healthy and continue to improve that is very likely t happen. Have to give the Chilhowie staff and players a great deal of credit of picking up where they left off. But Ph better focus on Hurley because they seem to have an outstanding team.

1 hour ago, 1inStripes said:

I believe this could be a very good game.  Hurley will win the BDD if they stay injury free IMO.  They have good lineman and 3 solid backs and a good defense to go along with it.  Either way I am picking the Rebels to win this one.

That's a bold prediction, but I see the Rebels losing this one.