Trenton Adkins, is he even stoppable? Over 1000 yards in 3 games!

Gridiron60

Total games matters here. Davis and Heritage played 15 games (thanks largely to Davis) and back in the day, the most games a kid like Jones and P. Valley could play were 14. That 15th game matters as the playoffs have expanded. For Atkins and Ridgeview, Graham could be a possible (possible) difference in Atkins playing only 12 or 13 games versus getting to the state semis for game 14 and so on. If Atkins keeps putting up 300+ per game, he would likely already have the record through 12. I doubt he does it, but if the dude busts for 300 yds this week against what is likely a Ridgeview team that will have far fewer possessions than the first three games, then ya never know. 

1 hour ago, Beamerball said:

See: Matewan / McCoy

I remember that!  

I also wouldn’t put it past Freddy Simon to do something like that.  He’s proven he’ll RUTS when it suits him.  He “avenged” the 57-21 loss to Wyoming East in 1999 by hanging 86 on them in 2002 (he had no problem putting up 69 on Wayne in the 2004 AA championship game, in a delicious twist).  He also called in orders in 2014 for Bluefield to score a meaningless touchdown on the last play of the game in the Graham-Beaver game (76 points, all-time worst for Graham) because Graham wouldn’t lay down and die.

All I’m saying is: give him a once-in-a-generation running back and a patsy on the schedule, and there’s about a 20% chance he’d do it.

6 hours ago, goose111874 said:

Someone will break it at some point.  Probably a great team in single A with a D1 back playing cupcakes.  I mean if Adkins was going against someone like Jenkins he could probably get 1000 yards and 15 TDS in a 4 QT. game.

Itll have to be a player on a great team that plays for a state title. On a bad team it'll be impossible, having to score an average of six scores a game through the games. it'll also have to be a coach with no mercy. Most coaches will rest their stars late in games against bad teams so a kid could only score 1-2 against a bad team and rest if team is up 35-0. Three scores every game is incredible, but even with 15 games, that would still be fifteen TDs short. It'll take a kid getting multiple 6-7 TD games and putting in multiple TDs in every game.

This young man has had an amazing start!  No question.  But Ridgeview has yet to play anyone that is a traditional power.  I mean no offense to Central with that.  This years team may very well be the best they have ever had.  If Adkins can put those numbers up against Abingdon and Union, then hold the phone because he could really make alot of noise.  Looking forward to when we play them.  But for now, I'm ready to head to WV and see what Mr Lester and co do this year.

18 hours ago, GMan said:

The record is 3,603 yards for a season by Elijah Davis in 2017.  Jones is 2nd now...

And that year in the state championship the opposing team tightened up on Davis and made Heritage beat them other ways and Heritage fell short of the ring that year.

Best to develop some other game now rather than trying to find it later. 

3 hours ago, redtiger said:

Details please

In 2006, Matewan intentionally ran as many plays as possible and intentionally started as deep as possible in their own territory to allow their star running back,  Paul McCoy, to set the national 1-game rushing record against Burch.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-2006-10-11-0610110005-story,amp.html

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

In 2006, Matewan intentionally ran as many plays as possible and intentionally started as deep as possible in their own territory to allow their star running back,  Paul McCoy, to set the national 1-game rushing record against Burch.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-2006-10-11-0610110005-story,amp.html

Unbelievable , that's all I have, unbelievable! @UVAObserver Where did McCoy end up going to college? Did the record help him in that regard? 

6 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

Unbelievable , that's all I have, unbelievable! @UVAObserver Where did McCoy end up going to college? Did the record help him in that regard? 

He went completely off the radar after that season, oddly enough.  I can’t find anything in recruiting databases showing that he went to an NCAA school.  I know that Morehead State showed some interest but no offer.

I wonder what ever happened to the "Prick of Pineville." We'll, maybe Mullens, but the former coach from Wyoming East that Freddy got some payback on. His first name was Kevin. I can't remember his last name. I wonder if that guy still coaches. He was absolutely explosive in temperament and I heard he was a monster to get along with. Watching him on the sidelines, I wondered if that guy should have been hospitalized.  I wish the Beavers would have put up 100 on them, and no ill intent to the fans of Wyoming County, but man oh man that coach they had was a first class arse. 

Grogg. The night Beaver ran up the score, Grogg chose to kickoff after Beaver scored several 2nd half TD’s. And they were shunned by the Coalfield Conference which made it tough on scheduling games. And a lot of those Wyoming , Raleigh and Fayette county schools made it tough on Beaver in other sports for years after that. One year Bluefield was thoroughly beating Liberty Raleigh in a playoff game and a rash of Beavers started coming to the sideline after being poked in the eye. Eventually the trainer went on the field after a Beckley area officiating crew and drew a 15 yarder for speaking his mind. Grogg had some influence up that way and he used that game in 2003( I think it was) to gain some sympathy and some allies as well.

On 9/17/2019 at 11:00 PM, BigWinners said:

Itll have to be a player on a great team that plays for a state title. On a bad team it'll be impossible, having to score an average of six scores a game through the games. it'll also have to be a coach with no mercy. Most coaches will rest their stars late in games against bad teams so a kid could only score 1-2 against a bad team and rest if team is up 35-0. Three scores every game is incredible, but even with 15 games, that would still be fifteen TDs short. It'll take a kid getting multiple 6-7 TD games and putting in multiple TDs in every game.

It would be tuff, although Steven Peoples broke single-season records for rushing yards (3,078) and touchdowns (44) in 11 games in 2013.

Peoples also broke the VHSL’s single-game rushing record with 502 yards on 22 carries in a 54-7 victory over Graham 

9 hours ago, Optimal62 said:

It would be tuff, although Steven Peoples broke single-season records for rushing yards (3,078) and touchdowns (44) in 11 games in 2013.

Peoples also broke the VHSL’s single-game rushing record with 502 yards on 22 carries in a 54-7 victory over Graham 

I'm certain those numbers in the first sentence were school records, not state records.  Joseph Dixon and Charles Harris have both broken that school rushing record in back to back years.  Now, the 502 yards against my poor, pitiful G-Men, yes, that is still the state record for rushing yards in one game.

17 minutes ago, GMan said:

I'm certain those numbers in the first sentence were school records, not state records.  Joseph Dixon and Charles Harris have both broken that school rushing record in back to back years.  Now, the 502 yards against my poor, pitiful G-Men, yes, that is still the state record for rushing yards in one game.

That was a fun day watching Peoples dominate. I remember we were going to leave early because they subbed him out on offense but we stopped at the gate to finish watching graham’s drive since it looked like they were going to score. Peoples was still playing defense. He picked up a fumble and returned it 80ish yards for another touchdown. 

It's hard to imagine the turnaround at Graham and I just don't know if Tony has still got enough credit for this. Maybe he has, I don't know, but I know this, it was only 2014 when GC gave Graham it's worst loss in school history by a score of 70-0. Add to that the People's rushing day of over half of a thousand yards. From the GC loss in 2014 to present day, less than 5 years, Graham has 1 state title and has a strong chance (not automatic but a good chance) of getting 2. All of that in 60 months. Folks that a turnaround, and then to think about the direction GC has gone in those approximate 60 months.

I’m not gonna lie I did not think the Adkins kid was worth all the hype when I first saw him. That was his freshman year but most guys that are D1 you tell at that age. Looking at him now.. WOW I’m able to admit when I’m wrong and boy was I wrong I look forward to watching this kid play on Saturdays I just hope it’s not in Knoxville I hope he is smarter than that

2 hours ago, GMan said:

You are correct, my error. At the time it was the second most in VHSL behind Thomas Jones