Union @ Graham

CriticalNoise

Hats off to Union on a great win. I had Graham beating Union by 20. I was wrong. Great win. For Graham, a horrible loss regarding seeding. Graham likely no better then the third seed whether we finish 8-2 or 7-3, and probably finds itself having to win on the road at both Union and Ridge view to win the region.

I certainly think Graham can and I still favor Graham, even with the loss. For Tony and the Coaches, tough loss guys and I will write this because you know I will echonthis when I see you. The holdings. Enough is enough. It's time to set players down for a quarter, maybe even a half. It's got to the point where the penalties are actually effecting the outcomes of games. The holdings and stupid holdings are actually getting tough to watch because as a fan, it's easy to see this team is skilled and special, yet they are just self destructing. Please guys, the kids need actual discipline with the holdings. It's got to stop.

Credit Union for the ball control offense. That was the difference coupled with Graham's continuous drive killers in the form of holding just like it did against Bluefield. I think the GMen turn it around and clean it up and do well. This season is at a 50/50 crossroads as to whether it looks like 2017 Graham with the penalties and self destruction, or the 2018 Graham where it cleans it up and gets it right by playoffs time. We will see. I think when all is said and done, it looks like 2018 Graham. 

Go GMen

P.S. Did I mention holding? For the love of all things good, stop freaking holding!

32 minutes ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

Hats off to Union on a great win. I had Graham beating Union by 20. I was wrong. Great win. For Graham, a horrible loss regarding seeding. Graham likely no better then the third seed whether we finish 8-2 or 7-3, and probably finds itself having to win on the road at both Union and Ridge view to win the region.

I certainly think Graham can and I still favor Graham, even with the loss. For Tony and the Coaches, tough loss guys and I will write this because you know I will echonthis when I see you. The holdings. Enough is enough. It's time to set players down for a quarter, maybe even a half. It's got to the point where the penalties are actually effecting the outcomes of games. The holdings and stupid holdings are actually getting tough to watch because as a fan, it's easy to see this team is skilled and special, yet they are just self destructing. Please guys, the kids need actual discipline with the holdings. It's got to stop.

Credit Union for the ball control offense. That was the difference coupled with Graham's continuous drive killers in the form of holding just like it did against Bluefield. I think the GMen turn it around and clean it up and do well. This season is at a 50/50 crossroads as to whether it looks like 2017 Graham with the penalties and self destruction, or the 2018 Graham where it cleans it up and gets it right by playoffs time. We will see. I think when all is said and done, it looks like 2018 Graham. 

Go GMen

P.S. Did I mention holding? For the love of all things good, stop freaking holding!

I'd be cleaning a lot of that up in practice. You are correct, enough is enough! GMen are better than what they've shown especially last night! 8 TDs called back in 4 games I think. They have skilled players , speed, & athleticism but they are lacking in discipline and focus! They should have never been in the position to have to play catch up, period! All credit to Union! They did what they needed to do.

2 hours ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

Go GMen

I deleted what I originally typed. Feelings seem to get hurt easily. Lol

Great post!!! Couldn't agree more!!

I actually think the biggest penalty was the unsportsmanlike after the TD that moved them back to the 18. I am not sure if there were 2 on Graham. There was only one on Union on that play. But Union's was first. An official can correct me if I am wrong but there is no such thing as offsetting penalties in high school?? The one against Union should have been marked off to the 1.5 yard line and then the Graham one back to the sixteen and a half since the Union one happened first. If there were 2 on Graham they both should have been marked off. The potential two points that they lost there was probably the difference in a tie and going to OT vs going home. 

Also Graham is not going very far in the playoffs unless they develop the running game enough to make opponents respect it. They got beat badly on both sides of the ball and only their vastly superior athletic ability kept the game close.

35 minutes ago, Bluefield researcher said:

I actually think the biggest penalty was the unsportsmanlike after the TD that moved them back to the 18. I am not sure if there were 2 on Graham. There was only one on Union on that play. But Union's was first. An official can correct me if I am wrong but there is no such thing as offsetting penalties in high school?? The one against Union should have been marked off to the 1.5 yard line and then the Graham one back to the sixteen and a half since the Union one happened first. If there were 2 on Graham they both should have been marked off. The potential two points that they lost there was probably the difference in a tie and going to OT vs going home. 

Also Graham is not going very far in the playoffs unless they develop the running game enough to make opponents respect it. They got beat badly on both sides of the ball and only their vastly superior athletic ability kept the game close.

There are offsetting penalties in HS.

I believe the play referenced was either personal fouls or unsportsmanlike on both Graham and Union. While the officials were discussing it, a Graham player came over to a Union player and began talking to him. Obviously, I have no clue what was said, but it was close enough to an official to be heard, and apparently drew an additional flag.  

b. If both teams commit unsportsmanlike, nonplayer or dead-ball personal fouls prior to the completion of penalty administration for those fouls, the distance penalty for an equal number of 15-yard
unsportsmanlike, nonplayer or dead-ball personal fouls will offset.
Any remaining penalties will be enforced separately and in the order
of occurrence

9 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

There are offsetting penalties in HS.

I believe the play referenced was either personal fouls or unsportsmanlike on both Graham and Union. While the officials were discussing it, a Graham player came over to a Union player and began talking to him. Obviously, I have no clue what was said, but it was close enough to an official to be heard, and apparently drew an additional flag.  

b. If both teams commit unsportsmanlike, nonplayer or dead-ball personal fouls prior to the completion of penalty administration for those fouls, the distance penalty for an equal number of 15-yard
unsportsmanlike, nonplayer or dead-ball personal fouls will offset.
Any remaining penalties will be enforced separately and in the order
of occurrence

The Graham player invited the Union player to McDonald's after the game. He said something about getting the "school discount". Ref didn't find it too funny........15 yarder

2 hours ago, Mountain Football said:

The Graham player invited the Union player to McDonald's after the game. He said something about getting the "school discount". Ref didn't find it too funny........15 yarder

That's funny....not the 15 yards but the comment. Piggybacking off that...people take things way too serious and get way too offended these days with things that should just be ignored or let roll off one's back. 

1 hour ago, Gridiron60 said:

That's funny....not the 15 yards but the comment. Piggybacking off that...people take things way to serious and get way to offended these days with things that should just be ignored or let roll off one's back. 

Agree 100%!  I loved the fact that so many graham students were wearing happy meal hats and the colors. That was good clean fun. I want to think a few years ago some central students were wearing Walmart shirts in response to the Walmart warriors name. good stuff. Anyway, the atmosphere was great. The students getting involved. The band playing. The fans cheering. Bells dining. Horns blowing🤣. What a way to spend any Friday night!