Why has the SWD struggled in football?

Eersfan

The neighboring districts have the same economic woes. And some have never had the coal boost that we had for a few years. It seems like a few surrounding 1A schools have much stronger programs than most of the SWD. 

Lebanon should be in 1A. Tazewell is just now beginning to get out of a nearly decade long rebuild, Richlands is entering their down period which barring more WV miracles could be the new normal. Marion is good once a decade and VA High is two-three years from being good again. Mostly just bad luck. At least Graham is a consistent contender, replacing the Blues. 

55 minutes ago, Eersfan said:

The neighboring districts have the same economic woes. And some have never had the coal boost that we had for a few years. It seems like a few surrounding 1A schools have much stronger programs than most of the SWD. 

Stronger programs is a relative term. Chilhowie and PH are in the middle of good cycles. Honaker has great tradition, but has been a little down recently due to the same economic issues. Burton probably the 1a standard now that Haysi and Clintwood are consolidated but it’s not like you can point to a 1a school that could finish 2nd in the SWD right now 

3 hours ago, Eersfan said:

Right now Tazewell is in that 2 spot.i believe Chilhowie, PH and Holston could beat them. And I honestly think Richlands will finish SWD  # 2 but Tazewell will have a better overall record

I agree with PH and Holston, but I believe Tazewell May put up a helluva fight with Richlands this year, especially if their passing game is weak. Tazewell has a decent, well decent defense especially against the run game. The only problem is tazewell has like 5 plays that they run the whole entire game and they don’t know how to switch things up. But overall I’m happy with Tazewells improvement and I think they will be on fire next year beings they’ll have a teams full of upperclassmen. 

9 hours ago, Eersfan said:

Right now Tazewell is in that 2 spot.i believe Chilhowie, PH and Holston could beat them. And I honestly think Richlands will finish SWD  # 2 but Tazewell will have a better overall record

Tazewell, VHS, and Lebanon fit the 1a profile. 24-35 players with a lot of guys who play both ways. Richlands still a behemoth trying to figure a few things out-but their numbers matter, especially over a season. Marion has plenty of numbers too typically. 

Im not denying that the SWD is down, and I think PH or Chilhowie would be favored to beat Tazewell on any given night...but that’s a lot different than beating both Tazewell and Richlands and not taking any upsets (and not getting too banged up against Graham)

Chilhowie last year could have done it for sure, but that was a terrific group. 

11 hours ago, CinnamonToastCrunch said:

Lebanon should be in 1A. Tazewell is just now beginning to get out of a nearly decade long rebuild, Richlands is entering their down period which barring more WV miracles could be the new normal. Marion is good once a decade and VA High is two-three years from being good again. Mostly just bad luck. At least Graham is a consistent contender, replacing the Blues. 

Lebanon should  definitely be 1A. We have 8th grade in high school that is counted as part of the enrollment. Essentially  Lebanon has about 500 students grades 9-12. In most sports we are competitive  at the 2A level, but with football its another  story. Lebanon is going to come around in the next year or so. We currently have 19 freshman and they recently expanded thr local youth league. I Feel like the youth league  has been the major problem it just wasn't strong enough to appropriately  feed the high school at the level it needed to. 

16 minutes ago, Pioneer pride said:

Lebanon should  definitely be 1A. We have 8th grade in high school that is counted as part of the enrollment. Essentially  Lebanon has about 500 students grades 9-12. In most sports we are competitive  at the 2A level, but with football its another  story. Lebanon is going to come around in the next year or so. We currently have 19 freshman and they recently expanded thr local youth league. I Feel like the youth league  has been the major problem it just wasn't strong enough to appropriately  feed the high school at the level it needed to. 

500 kids is still too many for 1A. Riverheads is the biggest 1A school with 474.5...

53 minutes ago, Pioneer pride said:

There has to be a cutoff somewhere to change classifications.  Lebanon is the 5th smallest school in 2A, but has 2A enrollment.  Fort Chiswell is smaller but I’ve heard no griping from Max Meadows on that topic...

I don't believe we can pinpoint one thing as the cause. IMO, dwindling population in SWVA which has lead to lower enrollments and smaller talent pool, feeder programs are not producing lots of numbers in some places or lacking in good foundational teaching/playimg, fear of injury, focused on a single sport , etc. I've spoken to several boys and asked why they don't play. I overwhelming get one of two answers, I play travel ball (baseball, basjetball) or I don't want to get hurt. 

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

There has to be a cutoff somewhere to change classifications.  Lebanon is the 5th smallest school in 2A, but has 2A enrollment.  Fort Chiswell is smaller but I’ve heard no griping from Max Meadows on that topic...

This is false-Lebanon was at 460 first day of school last year 9-12. 

1 hour ago, Tigerman10 said:

This is false-Lebanon was at 460 first day of school last year 9-12. 

VHSL has them at 503 as of March 2018. That's the number they go by for this cycle's classification. 

If they had an unexpected loss in enrollment they can always petition the VHSL to drop down, like Grayson Co did.

I’ve seen Lebanon play, they have good numbers. I saw at least 45 kids. I grew up with less than 400 kids in our school in class AA in WV. We still competed well against schools with 1000 students. I think it’s more to do with offensive and defensive strategy. Everyone tries to copy everyone else but only the teams with speed seem to excel at it.