Why has the SWD struggled in football?

Eersfan

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

The governing body known as the Virginia High School League does not agree with you...

You and I both know that ADM has nothing to do with a school’s actual enrollment. Not to mention the ADM you cite is from March of 2018 and my number came from August of 2018. 

8 hours ago, Tigerman10 said:

You and I both know that ADM has nothing to do with a school’s actual enrollment. Not to mention the ADM you cite is from March of 2018 and my number came from August of 2018. 

The VHSL doesn't care about August 2018 numbers. They only care about the March numbers that were used to re-classify. 

15 hours ago, Eersfan said:

I’ve seen Lebanon play, they have good numbers. I saw at least 45 kids. I grew up with less than 400 kids in our school in class AA in WV. We still competed well against schools with 1000 students. I think it’s more to do with offensive and defensive strategy. Everyone tries to copy everyone else but only the teams with speed seem to excel at it.

True lebanon has those numbers, over half the roster are Freshman and Sophomores. That is the issue,  they allowed  the program to almost die before they expanded the youth league to help numbers. 

13 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

That’s the thing, he’s wrong even by the 2018 calculations.

At least tag me if you are going to erroneously call me wrong. 

March 2018 ADM says a touch over 500

August 2018 first day of school 460

Reading is fun-damental  

3 hours ago, Tigerman10 said:

At least tag me if you are going to erroneously call me wrong. 

March 2018 ADM says a touch over 500

August 2018 first day of school 460

Reading is fun-damental  

You're wrong...tagged you...you're it...even if you are wrong...

Back to the topic.  Talent in the SWVA district over the years seems to come and go in cycles, although the number of students will effect those cycles.  The industrial situation being what it is in our area has greatly effected enrollment so the talent cycles have changed.  Most high schools have a down year about every four to six years, but the lack of incoming talent and low numbers may stretch the down year into several down years.  The feeder programs as we call them, (little league) have dropped off and lack of interest has come along with the ride, so maybe it's time for eight man football, or consolidation.