Which game would be good to go watch?

Bulldog05

Bunch of good ones. In addition to what's already mentioned. Giles vs Narrows. Narrows fans I'm sure feel this may be there best chance and they will have some fans for sure. 

Ridgeview vs Gate City. I wouldn't be surprised if this is closer than many think. 

If your willing to drive far enough, Radford and Gretna play at Radford. In spite of Glenvar and Appo, the two best teams in Region C may be playing Friday night and a reasonable chance our Region winner ends up meeting one of these two. That will be a good game over there. 

On 9/15/2019 at 12:11 PM, Hokie1Pokie said:

Bunch of good ones. In addition to what's already mentioned. Giles vs Narrows. Narrows fans I'm sure feel this may be there best chance and they will have some fans for sure. 

Ridgeview vs Gate City. I wouldn't be surprised if this is closer than many think. 

If your willing to drive far enough, Radford and Gretna play at Radford. In spite of Glenvar and Appo, the two best teams in Region C may be playing Friday night and a reasonable chance our Region winner ends up meeting one of these two. That will be a good game over there. 

I was thinking Ridgeview/Gate City also. I’d like to go there, they say that facility is nice and well kept!

11 hours ago, Bulldog05 said:

I was thinking Ridgeview/Gate City also. I’d like to go there, they say that facility is nice and well kept!

It's up on a hill and hard to get cell service but it's a very nice stadium. 

but I loved the old Clintwood field. I dunno why, the visitor stands were basically straight up in the air and it wasn't a particularly great field but it was always packed and when Clintwood was good, it was rocking.

10 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Thats great, glad it was fixed. I remember being up there last year and getting nothing. 

That's because there were way too many people trying to hit the towers.  Cell towers are not designed to handle that much traffic.  That Union game last year was the only game I have ever been unable to live tweet.  Normally I would have WiFi but that got wiped out last year also because of the storm before the game.

21 hours ago, BigWinners said:

but I loved the old Clintwood field. I dunno why, the visitor stands were basically straight up in the air and it wasn't a particularly great field but it was always packed and when Clintwood was good, it was rocking.

Ralph Cummins Stadium has the nicest grass field ive ever seen and its not close.

The visitor stands were right on top of the field and the home stands are really close too, nice environment

4 hours ago, redtiger said:

Ralph Cummins Stadium has the nicest grass field ive ever seen and its not close.

The visitor stands were right on top of the field and the home stands are really close too, nice environment

Disagree, I always thought the grass in Big Stone was better and the best around, but that's opinion stuff.

4 hours ago, redtiger said:

Can somebody help me out on two stadiums.

Ralph Cummins at the old Clintwood.  Is it still there or is it torn down? Was it at Clintwood High or Middle, etc?

Riggs Stadium, Appalachia. Is it still there? Was it at the middle school or High School? Why did Union choose to play at Bullitt Park instead of Riggs? Is BP bigger or does/did Riggs hold more.

I've been to BP once to witness a thrashing my young GMen had at the hands of the PV/Appalachia Bears, but I never really understood why Riggs wasn't an option. From looking at pictures online, that place looked like one hel* of a cool place to play a High School Football game and I would think even the P. Valley faithful would agree that place was the sheeeeittte.

3 minutes ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

Can somebody help me out on two stadiums.

Ralph Cummins at the old Clintwood.  Is it still there or is it torn down? Was it at Clintwood High or Middle, etc?

Riggs Stadium, Appalachia. Is it still there? Was it at the middle school or High School? Why did Union choose to play at Bullitt Park instead of Riggs? Is BP bigger or does/did Riggs hold more.

I've been to BP once to witness a thrashing my young GMen had at the hands of the PV/Appalachia Bears, but I never really understood why Riggs wasn't an option. From looking at pictures online, that place looked like one hel* of a cool place to play a High School Football game and I would think even the P. Valley faithful would agree that place was the sheeeeittte.

Riggs is still in Appalachia. I will make no further comment as I have no desire to rehash that mess, some didn't like my takes about Riggs lol.

38 minutes ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

Union plays soccer at Riggs. I believe some 8th and or JV games played there too??

In the 80s and 90s, Riggs was a great atmosphere for a football game. The players walking down those long steps to the field was really special. It definitely rivaled that of Bullitt

Not sure of the exact capacity, but I've always been told Bullitt Park held more. And the field at BP is in better condition. The "cloud of dust" from "3 yards and a cloud of dust" didn't come out of thin air. Lol. Riggs was known to be dirt by September and mud by the playoffs. (Just realized Tim Hayes said about the same thing)

In 2014, Union had 6 home games and played Sullivan North at Riggs. Articles below. Yes, 3 separate articles on the game. It was a big deal.

https://www.heraldcourier.com/sports/football-returns-to-legendary-riggs-stadium/article_e7f2bc16-3a23-11e4-bd26-0017a43b2370.amp.html

https://www.heraldcourier.com/sports/gregory-column-plenty-of-memories-at-riggs-stadium/article_eb02230c-3e1e-11e4-8585-001a4bcf6878.html

https://www.heraldcourier.com/sports/summers-leads-union-in-return-to-riggs/article_6c113c58-3aff-11e4-9b72-001a4bcf6878.html

1 hour ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

Still there In Clintwood at the old high school.  It is used for little league games now.  It is a good field but the grass isn’t nearly as good as it used to be.  Bermuda has been overrun with clover and crabgrass.  

2 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

Union plays soccer at Riggs. I believe some 8th and or JV games played there too??

In the 80s and 90s, Riggs was a great atmosphere for a football game. The players walking down those long steps to the field was really special. It definitely rivaled that of Bullitt

Not sure of the exact capacity, but I've always been told Bullitt Park held more. And the field at BP is in better condition. The "cloud of dust" from "3 yards and a cloud of dust" didn't come out of thin air. Lol. Riggs was known to be dirt by September and mud by the playoffs. (Just realized Tim Hayes said about the same thing)

In 2014, Union had 6 home games and played Sullivan North at Riggs. Articles below. Yes, 3 separate articles on the game. It was a big deal.

https://www.heraldcourier.com/sports/football-returns-to-legendary-riggs-stadium/article_e7f2bc16-3a23-11e4-bd26-0017a43b2370.amp.html

https://www.heraldcourier.com/sports/gregory-column-plenty-of-memories-at-riggs-stadium/article_eb02230c-3e1e-11e4-8585-001a4bcf6878.html

https://www.heraldcourier.com/sports/summers-leads-union-in-return-to-riggs/article_6c113c58-3aff-11e4-9b72-001a4bcf6878.html

You were lucky if it was just dirt and not rocks, shards of glass, Dragon teeth, bones, .50 cal shells, hypodermic needles, quicksand, land mines, etc...

(Relax Appalachia folk I'm kidding)

10 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

That's because there were way too many people trying to hit the towers.  Cell towers are not designed to handle that much traffic.  That Union game last year was the only game I have ever been unable to live tweet.  Normally I would have WiFi but that got wiped out last year also because of the storm before the game.

I live tweeted all game at the Richlands/Ridgeview game last year and it was a packed house and my phone did just fine. 

2 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

Riggs had very poor visitors seating also compared to Bullitt, and the playing surface is far superior.  If BP would ever created actual locker rooms at least for the visitors and officials it would be an A+ game site.

A new fieldhouse is part of the BSG future plans for town improvements.  Not sure if we will all be just old OR just dead then. Lol

13 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

I live tweeted all game at the Richlands/Ridgeview game last year and it was a packed house and my phone did just fine. 

Were there over 10,000 people there?  There were for Ridgeview/Union.  They were four and five deep at the fence all the way around the stadium that night.  I was stuck in the parking lot for 2 hours after that game.  That was also the week most of the games were moved up or back because of the hurricane that cancelled VT/ECU last year because Mitchell was in attendance.  There were a lot of folks there that night that weren't even affiliated with Union or Ridgeview.

As you may recall, I missed that Richlands game last year.  Lol

On 9/18/2019 at 8:34 PM, Union_Fan said:

A new fieldhouse is part of the BSG future plans for town improvements.  Not sure if we will all be just old OR just dead then. Lol

I’ve been hearing about that new field house for years now, gonna be shaped as a U with each team plenty of space really looking forward to it but like you said we may not live that long.  The one that is there now is pitiful.  It’s a shame when you have such a nice football program u can’t come up with a nice field house, hell just go buy a carport and some metal roofing to get the kids out of the weather.