Spartans vs Green Wave

SWVAgridiron

Giles (0-3) will host Narrows (3-0) in the county clash. The last time Giles started the season 0-3 was back in 2002, which is the last time that we lost to Narrows. The Spartans have shown that they can play with Blacksburg, Christiansburg, and Graham but have struggled finishing drives in all 3 games (around 10 drives have stalled out in opponents territory). The Waves have a solid run defense and shut the single-wing down for 3 and half quarters last year. Narrows has not scored an offensive touchdown against Giles since 2016. Will the Spartans be able to finish drives or will Narrows end the 16 year losing streak? I see this being a low scoring battle. I’m taking my Spartans 14-13. 

Who y’all got? 

It can be extremely hard for a team to get up two weeks in a row in big games. I didn't see the Chilhowie game if it was a extremely hard fought game that will certainly be the case as you can become emotionally drained. If the game wasn't a struggle indicative of the score then different story. 

When cross town rivalries take place you can throw records out the window. 

Does Narrows actually attack the weaknesses and the mismatches they have on the Giles D for once or out coach themseleves attack their strengths on O like they usually do in this game?  Can the Narrows' D keep those 0 to 2 yard runs in the first quarter from turning into 7 to 10 yard runs or bigger in the 4th like they did last year once the linemen get gassed?  Does Narrows counter to Giles' adjustments after halftime?  The answer can be yes to all these but will they be?  Usually the answer is no to most of these questions and until that changes it'll continue to be more of the same.  I will call it like this, I don't see it  working out unless Narrows has a 2 score lead after 3.  It's going to close and it's going to be fun.

Should be a good game....Giles has played a tough schedule so far, to put it nicely narrows hasn't.

Hopefully Giles is battle tested enough that it can pull them through in this one.

Should be a huge crowd since everyone on narrows side will be there cause most narrows people I've talked with have already said they ARE winning this year...guess we'll see around 9:30 Friday night

Can the big green get their first win in this series since 2002 or do the Spartans make it 17 straight wins? 

See ya Friday night green wave faithful

1 hour ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Should be a good game....Giles has played a tough schedule so far, to put it nicely narrows hasn't.

Hopefully Giles is battle tested enough that it can pull them through in this one.

Should be a huge crowd since everyone on narrows side will be there cause most narrows people I've talked with have already said they ARE winning this year...guess we'll see around 9:30 Friday night

Can the big green get their first win in this series since 2002 or do the Spartans make it 17 straight wins? 

See ya Friday night green wave faithful

Ok we played a weak team in Northwood but Chilhowie weak I think not, Auburn a team christiansburg could not do anything  with in a scrimmage weak, again I think not.

9 minutes ago, County boy said:

Ok we played a weak team in Northwood but Chilhowie weak I think not, Auburn a team christiansburg could not do anything  with in a scrimmage weak, again I think not.

Think what you want...but if we switched schedules even as bad as we are we probably 3-0 and I promise you narrows is 0-3 against our schedule.

And a scrimmage? Really? Geez

If Giles doesn’t beat Narz, they will finish 3 and 7 In my opinion. Radford with the big kid that left Giles coming home following week, then having to travel to Floyd. Tough beginning of season for them Spartans.

I thought Narrows would take down Giles last year; however, Giles rallied back to win. Narrows has a lot of motivation but these big rivalry games can get crazy and go either way!

In a close one ... Narrows ends the streak!

Narrows 21  Giles 17

GRAHAM G-MEN 2018 STATE CHAMPS!

2 hours ago, Old Soul said:

Anybody hear from 1Wing23 lately? I just knew he would have something to say about Giles - Narrows game Friday night! Hope everything is fine. Maybe got sick from eating crow last week!?

On paper, Narrows should win this game and is a more talented team than Giles. Narrows has had the talent advantage the past two seasons but can't get over the hump. The difference has been like someone mentioned earlier adjustments, game plan,etc. Giles has a better coaching staff that allows them to win the intangibles. I do however think that may not be enough to to continue the winning streak. Narrows 21 Giles 14

This may in fact be Narrows’ year but I just don’t see it happening. Giles will be the best team Narrows plays this year in the regular season despite us having an 0-3 record. I just hope it’s a good game and I pray that both teams are able to walk off the field with the same amount of healthy players that walk onto the field. 

35 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

This may in fact be Narrows’ year but I just don’t see it happening. Giles will be the best team Narrows plays this year in the regular season despite us having an 0-3 record. I just hope it’s a good game and I pray that both teams are able to walk off the field with the same amount of healthy players that walk onto the field. 

Giles is definitely the best team Narrows will see until the regional finals! Hard to compare the two due to obvious difference in strength of schedule. I think the difference will be Narrows has a swarming defense and Giles just doesn't have nearly enough offense to challenge them. Hopefully two completely healthy teams walk off that field though

On 9/15/2019 at 6:48 PM, County boy said:

North wood? Really? Lol. Chilhowie has 3 returning starters and that’s only reason you played them. Last year you would of never played them,run from competition!!!