'Random' Football Thread

trublue

The Georgia High School Association (GHSA) has recently made an announcement that football teams can begin wearing helmets during summer workouts as long as they follow COVID-19 sanitation guidelines. However, there has yet to be a decision on if or when the 2020 season will start

View latest GHSA Statements on Covid-19 Guidelines. Football Helmets with stipulations on July 20.… https://t.co/CoVo7i6NPk

Wilson Guidelines on Sanitizing Leather Game Balls. @WilsonFootball @WilsonBasketball   https://t.co/3LtVDGNsj5    https://t.co/SIuxsHNsYd

Top 10 challenges switching 2020 high school football season from fall to spring

Coronavirus forces states to look at alternate plans for tradition calendars.

Robert Edmonds

Some good news for college athletics Covid-19 testing out of JMU reports

COVID-19 testing update from JMU: On Monday, school tested 33 MBB & WBB players and staff, and another 16 football players who arrived in a later wave. All 49 tests were negative. That's on top of 97 initial football tests on July 6 and 7, which resulted in only 1 positive.
2:18 PM · Jul 22, 2020

great state

As expected, the TSSAA pushed its hybrid plan into effect for the 2020 football season during a Board of Control meeting Wednesday in Murfreesboro.

Good read:  

excerpt: “Football has taught me how to be a leader and that you always have to grind when things don’t go your way,” Aka, 25, said. “You are always going to have moments when things don’t go your way and you learn what adversity is all about. Nothing is easy. You just have to keep chopping wood and keep fighting until you find success.”

·U.S. Military Academy prepares former Gwinnett County football star for his next step as an officer, leader

4 hours ago, trublue said:

Good read:  

excerpt: “Football has taught me how to be a leader and that you always have to grind when things don’t go your way,” Aka, 25, said. “You are always going to have moments when things don’t go your way and you learn what adversity is all about. Nothing is easy. You just have to keep chopping wood and keep fighting until you find success.”

·U.S. Military Academy prepares former Gwinnett County football star for his next step as an officer, leader

Thanks for sharing, @trublue. With so many dissatisfied and entitled young adults in the news, this story was a refreshing change.  I appreciated how Aka and his family chose to immigrate to the U.S. and their obvious love for America.  Aka's work ethic and willingness to overcome adversity will serve him well as an Army officer. We're blessed to have him serve our nation.

Bernard Childress w/

tells us the football season will now be able to start Aug. 21st. He said they’ll be able to start contact practice as soon as the Governor signs the Executive Order. He said the schedules will remain as they were before CoVID adjustments.

Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee will reportedly issue Executive Order No. 55 to allow for contact sports to start practice for the 2020 season, provided they follow the requirements of TSSAA.

Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee is reportedly going to sign Executive Order 55 allowing contact sports such as football and girls soccer to resume. That apparently means high school football in Tennessee will kick off on Aug. 21. Girls soccer should begin earlier that week

great state

https://tricitiessports.com/tee-it-up-kick-it-off-governor-lee-tssaa-give-high-school-football-soc-p97759-1.htm

"That has left Mays scrambling for an alternate plan that could include playing an unnamed team from West Virginia in the place of Abingdon."

Tennessee High vs. Bluefield perhaps @Bluefield researcher?

If so, that would be a hell of a ballgame.

44 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

There are talks with multiple Tennessee schools. If something is agreed on then it will be announced.

2 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Bluefield names it's score versus Tennessee High!

4 hours ago, SXSW said:

Bluefield names it's score versus Tennessee High!

Really?  Though I think Bluefield wins the game, I do NOT think it's a runaway, though I would love for it to be.  I can't stand Tennessee High.  Lol.

What I do think is a runaway is one of the other replacement games on the schedule now... Sullivan South vs....... North Greene.  NG lost Twin Springs off their schedule in week 4 and South lost Gate City off week 4, so they decided to play each other.  South wins that game by 80+ if they want.

5 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Really?  Though I think Bluefield wins the game, I do NOT think it's a runaway, though I would love for it to be.  I can't stand Tennessee High.  Lol.

What I do think is a runaway is one of the other replacement games on the schedule now... Sullivan South vs....... North Greene.  NG lost Twin Springs off their schedule in week 4 and South lost Gate City off week 4, so they decided to play each other.  South wins that game by 80+ if they want.

They will be nice to one of their own in that game.  Probably still 60-0.

15 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Yep..Tennessee High is average at best with not too many athletes. Bluefield has elite talent and one thing Tennessee High hasn't seen in years speed!

The VHSL alignment committee approved 11 schools moving down a classification and six moving up beginning in 2021-22. Read more about some of the changes forthcoming here...

great state

TSSAA

TSSAA executive director Bernard Childress said they expect to have the executive order allowing contact sports to begin on time signed by
@GovBillLee  today. He said they were told the document was being “fine tuned”. It was announced Tuesday so not sure why such a delay.

Hey @GovBillLee  we good?

From my conversations with TSSAA, I don't have a feeling at all that TSSAA will move back start of season if more counties push seasons back. Those that are allowed to play will play. Others won't.

Is @GovBillLee open on weekends? Asking for a state.

With an hour left in the business day, reached out to TSSAA executive director Bernard Childress to ask if they had heard from
@GovBillLee on when Executive Order #55 would be signed & sent. Got a one word response - “No” - that won’t help nervous coaches/players across Tennessee
Executive Order #55 has been signed. The mob of coaches headed to the capital with torches in hand can now go back to their field house and resume handing out equipment for Monday’s start of contact practice

Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee has signed the executive order that allows high school contact sports to return, with football and girls soccer season allowed to start on time. Whether or not this actually happens will be up to respective school districts across the state.

great state

Posting the following...not taking a position on should/shouldn't....

According to @DavidGlenn Show

the ACC is sticking to its plan to play football on time after the league conducted meetings today. #keepingourfingerscrossed

ACC is "ABSOLUTELY" intending on playing football, a league official told Dennis Dodd of CBS Sports today. News comes after a league-wide conference call with ADs and presidents. Not "a drop dead time period [to decide]," official said.

Sun Belt Conference plans to follow SEC’s lead & play sports this fall, sources told

Virginia Athletics COVID-19 Testing Update #4 - No new positive tests since the last update (issued July 31) - 238 total student-athletes tested overall so far - 4 student-athletes have produced a positive test since testing started on July 5

As was mentioned during Bronco Mendenhall's media availability earlier today, UVA had zero positive COVID tests again last week for all student athletes. Second straight week of 0 positives in Charlottesville

Conference USA schools still planning to play football this fall, even w/league member ODU canceling fall season, sources told

C-USA ADs met today & are “holding firm on playing in fall,” source said

HIGH SCHOOL

Just spoke to TSSAA Ex Dir Bernard Childress, “High schools have a different set of circumstances then colleges. We don’t have the travel they do. We are in close contact with health officials. As of right now our plan is still to play.”

great state