Narrows Green Wave ROLL

hsportsfan

1 hour ago, hsportsfan said:

Let’s hear all the haters!!!

I don’t remember anyone hating other than one Narrows guy posing as a Giles fan and newbies like you. And a few talking about the weak schedule that they play. And Narrows was predicted by most to win. My hats off to the Wave, they shut the single wing down and ended the streak. That’s all that really needs to be said.

5 hours ago, hsportsfan said:

Let’s hear all the haters!!!

You waited 17 years to post this...you must have great patiences to last that long

And yes not gonna lie I hate narrows only cause they are out biggest rival for a long time.

I have many many friends from narrows of which i shook some of their hands after the game and told them narrows was the better team.

And I'll have to ask Kelly when I see him WTF he was doing going for 2 late in the game up 20-0? Especially with us showing no ability to move the ball much less scoring 3 TDs...chicken shit move IMO...but that's ok 

Again congrats waves...and I hope the Bowman kid is going to be ok...great player

57 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

You waited 17 years to post this...you must have great patiences to last that long

And yes not gonna lie I hate narrows only cause they are out biggest rival for a long time.

I have many many friends from narrows of which i shook some of their hands after the game and told them narrows was the better team.

And I'll have to ask Kelly when I see him WTF he was doing going for 2 late in the game up 20-0? Especially with us showing no ability to move the ball much less scoring 3 TDs...chicken shit move IMO...but that's ok 

Again congrats waves...and I hope the Bowman kid is going to be ok...great player

Good game Hokie.  Hopefully it's 2nd of 3 streaks I see die in 2019.  Watching the Hoos win in person at the Dean Dome being the first.  

1 hour ago, IRISH-FAN18 said:

Has Narrows ever had a 10-0 record in the schools history??

1938: 7-0

1939: 10-0

They went 9-0 in 60, 61 & 62 in a streak where they went 35-0-1. 

They went 10-0 in 78 and 79. 

All of those come from @Bluefield researcherand his website www.fourseasonsfootball.com

7 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

1938: 7-0

1939: 10-0

They went 9-0 in 60, 61 & 62 in a streak where they went 35-0-1. 

They went 10-0 in 78 and 79. 

All of those come from @Bluefield researcherand his website www.fourseasonsfootball.com

38 & 39 are years they claim a state championship also....but they weren't even reconized until 1970....they have signs on their school at the football field also lol

18 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

38 & 39 are years they claim a state championship also....but they weren't even reconized until 1970....they have signs on their school at the football field also lol

They were state champions. There actually was a championship system in place at the time for all three classes. A (big schools), B (small to medium size), and C (really small schools like Pocahontas and Rural Retreat. The big schools had an East and West Division. They even played an East vs West playoff games until the late 1920's. Then they had a system. The B and C classes were divided into districts. Each district decided their own champion in their own way. The best record and if there was a tie they would vote. Then two neighboring districts would have a playoff game, Most of the time the game was played but sometimes one school would decline to play, These games were optional. Sometimes a school would decline for various reasons. Usually the lack of travelling money. If they declined the other team was given a pass to the next round. If they played the winner advanced to the next level. Marion won the state B championship in 1930. It is a completely valid championship. In 1937 the proper opponents for Narrows declined. In 1938 Bedford was beaten and the following opponents declined. Not exactly the greatest way to obtain a championship but they are valid. Narrows was in Class C at that time. in 1940 Appalachia defeated William Byrd in the class B championship and in 1940 they defeated William Fleming. Next summer I hope to be able to go thru my research and piece together these brackets to see who was playing who and who declined, etc.

18 minutes ago, Bluefield researcher said:

They were state champions. There actually was a championship system in place at the time for all three classes. A (big schools), B (small to medium size), and C (really small schools like Pocahontas and Rural Retreat. The big schools had an East and West Division. They even played an East vs West playoff games until the late 1920's. Then they had a system. The B and C classes were divided into districts. Each district decided their own champion in their own way. The best record and if there was a tie they would vote. Then two neighboring districts would have a playoff game, Most of the time the game was played but sometimes one school would decline to play, These games were optional. Sometimes a school would decline for various reasons. Usually the lack of travelling money. If they declined the other team was given a pass to the next round. If they played the winner advanced to the next level. Marion won the state B championship in 1930. It is a completely valid championship. In 1938 the proper opponents for Narrows declined. In 1939 Bedford was beaten and the following opponents declined. Not exactly the greatest way to obtain a championship but they are valid. Narrows was in Class C at that time. in 1940 Appalachia defeated William Byrd in the class B championship and in 1940 they defeated William Fleming. Next summer I hope to be able to go thru my research and piece together these brackets to see who was playing who and who declined, etc.

Great stuff but some weren't even won on the field and technically they weren't recognized until 1970

Just now, Hokiebird7 said:

Great stuff but some weren't even won on the field and technically they weren't recognized until 1970

A better way to say it IMO is to say that they were re recognized. A lot of these championships slipped into oblivion because the championship process was dropped during WWII for all schools except class A. When the VHSL implemented the playoff system in 1970 it sounds like it jogged some memories and past champions were given their proper due.

Just now, Gridiron60 said:

@Bluefield researcher I'll check out your site, the answer may be there. Have you compiled a list of state championships from which school has most to least? I'm presuming Bluefield would be close to the top if not the top. 

Championships by state? Our area?

28 minutes ago, Bluefield researcher said:

Championships by state? Our area?

I was interested in our area. The teams represented on SWVA Sports. I guess could easily compare WV/VA though. You know-how we vote on Top 10 in weekly poll. I was curious who top 10 coverage area (state champions were) if that makes sense.