Richlands is very dangerous when they do the way they did, on the ground

Hokie1Pokie

Well, it's impressive to see what happens when Richlands decides to be a run first oriented offense and makes the pass the second option.  Richlands destroyed Abingdon on the ground.  Look at the disparity between rush yards and pass yards which Richlands had.  That formula makes Richlands a dangerous football team because they have the guys up front that can block.  It also takes possessions away from your opponent.  See what Union did to Graham with the run oriented offense, but also throwing it fairly efficiently when needed.  It's interesting that for win 200 for Mance, this took place for Richlands on the offensive side of the ball, but the difference in rushing yards and passing yards for a Richlands team was noticeable.  If Richlands stays with this type of offensive mind, they have the ability to win Region D.  I don't think they will and they ain't favored, but Richlands has always had some tough guys up front and when they decide to become a run first oriented offense, while still passing efficiently when they need to, it completely changes the completion of games with Richlands.  Abingdon found that out.  Will Mance and Richlands stay with the ground game first or is this just a one time event?  We will see.  I hope folks at least realize what happened in this game though.  It wasn't air raid Richlands pass.  It was old school Richlands.  

I feel like I'm yelling into a canyon when I say this, but one offense isn't any better than another on paper. Running the ball 50 times can work, or it can backfire and you get blown out. Personnel is imperative. If you don't have a strong push in the trenches, you'll get dominated. If you get behind the sticks and can't convert third and long, you'll get dominated. If you fall behind and have to score quick, you can get dominated. 

If you don't have the ability to throw the ball and keep a defense honest, you'll see teams move eleven in the box and make running space extremely limited. 

Thats not to say you automatically lose, but you make it harder on yourself if you are only able to move the ball in one way. And with the new rules, its easier than ever to throw the ball so it's silly to abandon such a vital part of any offense. There's nothing wrong with being a run-heavy offense if you have personnel capable of running said offense and you have the ability to convert long yardage situations and score quick. 

21 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

I feel like I'm yelling into a canyon when I say this, but one offense isn't any better than another on paper. Running the ball 50 times can work, or it can backfire and you get blown out. Personnel is imperative. If you don't have a strong push in the trenches, you'll get dominated. If you get behind the sticks and can't convert third and long, you'll get dominated. If you fall behind and have to score quick, you can get dominated. 

If you don't have the ability to throw the ball and keep a defense honest, you'll see teams move eleven in the box and make running space extremely limited. 

Thats not to say you automatically lose, but you make it harder on yourself if you are only able to move the ball in one way. And with the new rules, its easier than ever to throw the ball so it's silly to abandon such a vital part of any offense. There's nothing wrong with being a run-heavy offense if you have personnel capable of running said offense and you have the ability to convert long yardage situations and score quick. 

Not anything about the offense type or playing.  I agree with you.  I refer to as run first, or in short, having the ability to run when your are pass first.  Richlands personnel suits a run oriented offensive system.  I think it's also noticeable when they do so like last night.  As for the defense, that's another story.  Run oriented teams with passing as a second choice, but efficient often do the best.  It's very tough for a pass oriented FIRST team to run it efficiently when they do compared to a run oriented FIRST team to pass efficiently when it needs to.  Pass blocking and run blocking are not the same.  You can be a run oriented offense and throw it 20 times per game if the box is stacked.  The thing is, you are looking to run it first as a first option and if this pass is there, then take it.  Richlands did that against Abingdon and they whipped em.  Actually, Union did the same last night.  Looking to run effectively, took the pass when there on the blitz or when the box was stacked.  There are times when Richlands lines up and the called play on first down is a pass REGARDLESS of the defensive set.  That's not run oriented.  Bluefield Researcher is right in a post in one of these threads talking about Graham's run game.  They better get one and get one quick to go late in the playoffs.   The odds are, if you can't run the ball when you need to (as often happens in the playoffs, you lose).  Sure, sometimes a team or teams can get buy with it, but it's the exception to the rule.  Same for a run oriented team.  They better at least be able to complete some screens and or short efficient passes when they need to to advance far in the playoffs.  The exception to the rule is that a team gets by with it late in the playoffs.

Union can throw it BETTER than 2017.  I watched both teams.  This QB can throw it well enough to keep defenses honest and from loading the box.  That will serve Union well and in my opinion, makes them as dangerous as they were in 2017 because of the versatility of their offense.  Same with Ridgeview.  It appears that kid can actually throw it and that they can do so when they need to.

58 minutes ago, Jags52 said:

How many running backs and tightends?? Not trying to start a fight just wondering 

Ran out of the spread the vast majority of it. There were TE’s on the field, but they were lined up out wide more than they were on the line to block. It was always just one RB. Either Steele or one series they let Webb run the ball. 

3 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

Ran out of the spread the vast majority of it. There were TE’s on the field, but they were lined up out wide more than they were on the line to block. It was always just one RB. Either Steele or one series they let Webb run the ball. 

Smart.  A bunch of RPO's I'm sure based on how your describing their sets.  There's one thing for certain.  It worked.  Richlands ran all over Abingdon.

Blocking looked better last night. But game wasn’t old fashioned smash mouth.   Richlands lined up in spread about all night long . Stretched field out.  Webb drew a double team and stayed at wideout 90 percent of the time. This created running lanes and Steele ran hard. No lead blockers out of backfield. Good line play most of the night and took advantage of spacing to create plays in the run game . They passed just enough to keep Abingdon from loading box.  It was run first last night but to me it looked more like they took what defense gave them which is what they have done for years out of the spread.    

23 minutes ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

Not anything about the offense type or playing.  I agree with you.  I refer to as run first, or in short, having the ability to run when your are pass first.  Richlands personnel suits a run oriented offensive system.  I think it's also noticeable when they do so like last night.  As for the defense, that's another story.  Run oriented teams with passing as a second choice, but efficient often do the best.  It's very tough for a pass oriented FIRST team to run it efficiently when they do compared to a run oriented FIRST team to pass efficiently when it needs to.  Pass blocking and run blocking are not the same.  You can be a run oriented offense and throw it 20 times per game if the box is stacked.  The thing is, you are looking to run it first as a first option and if this pass is there, then take it.  Richlands did that against Abingdon and they whipped em.  Actually, Union did the same last night.  Looking to run effectively, took the pass when there on the blitz or when the box was stacked.  There are times when Richlands lines up and the called play on first down is a pass REGARDLESS of the defensive set.  That's not run oriented.  Bluefield Researcher is right in a post in one of these threads talking about Graham's run game.  They better get one and get one quick to go late in the playoffs.   The odds are, if you can't run the ball when you need to (as often happens in the playoffs, you lose).  Sure, sometimes a team or teams can get buy with it, but it's the exception to the rule.  Same for a run oriented team.  They better at least be able to complete some screens and or short efficient passes when they need to to advance far in the playoffs.  The exception to the rule is that a team gets by with it late in the playoffs.

Union can throw it BETTER than 2017.  I watched both teams.  This QB can throw it well enough to keep defenses honest and from loading the box.  That will serve Union well and in my opinion, makes them as dangerous as they were in 2017 because of the versatility of their offense.  Same with Ridgeview.  It appears that kid can actually throw it and that they can do so when they need to.

What happened in 2017 was Unions starting QB was lost to a season ending injury in the Richlands game, week two, and Union felt more confident in going to a single wing look with Mitchell at QB. Now, Union has a QB they trust in Gibson and while they don't have the talent of a player like Mitchell, it can be a much more dynamic attack.

Stretching the field can certainly be smash mouth. Smash mouth doesn't require two tight ends and 2 blockers. What smash mouth is....running the ball down your opponents throat, whether from a 4 wide set, or no wide outs at all. To sum it up....lots more run blocking than pass blocking, regardless of which set or formation it comes from (pro set, tight, single wing, wishbone, etc). It's a run, and with Richland's well versed reps in pass blocking, an RPO is easy to do from wide set.

I agree with you.

Part of the running game was the defense.    Same type plan vs unions lbs didn’t  produce the same type results.  They had more attempts last night because they had more success running.  The spread isn’t always air raid.  It’s all about matchups.  The matchups favored the running game. Steele took advantage.  The qb looked more comfortable as well.  The bubble screens worked last night as well.Didnt run many but worked .  Basically a run in that type offense. Getting # 8 and #9on the field offensively helped. Webb can be a weapon  on the outside without doing anything,  if teams put 2 defenders on the single side of the field to cover.  Good balance this year in 2d. I think there are about 4 or 5 teams that could pull an upset on a given night. Last year Cam Allen made sure that wasn’t the case .  

Offensive strategy should be based on personnel. You have to create mismatches and put the defense at a disadvantage. Graham has speed and size at receiver and a speedy QB. When your QB is a run threat , you can run deep routes and open up running lanes for him. If you wanna make the  running game click , you need variety. Go under center every now and then. LB’s get an easy read from the shotgun, especially if they get a quick read on the guards at the snap. Union made the T work and work well , it’s not outdated football  it’s smart football. Spread teams aren’t better coached , they rely on having more speed. That’s why when teams with slower skill players try it and can’t stretch the field, the run game suffers.

Graham's issue that needs fixing that worries me most is the interior part of the OL. Last year, Graham lost three key seniors in Sesco, Wimmer, and Demarrzio (pardon my spelling). They were solid on the OL. Graham could easily pass it and run it. The issue this year is exactly what Blue. Researcher said and it's Graham's running game.

Graham hasn't had the success this year by simply handing off, and the back getting 7 yards off tackle and then replicating that down the field on a 6 minute or longer drive. They are doing it by finesse, Lester keeping the ball, or out athleting the defense to the edge. They can get away with this with most teams in 2A Va and win, but against a solid run defense team that makes no turnovers and has under fifty yds in penalties, and you add nearly 90 for Graham with crucial holding calls that kills your drives, you have a recipe for a loss. That's exactly what happened with Union.

Graham I think, can and will fix the penalties, but I hope they consider moving Booker and/or Edwards to the offensive line permanently, and let Ray swap running back with Bradshaw. Our guys up front are new starters and they will develop and be very good, but there are times this year where they are struggling.  Edwards and Booker are strong enough that one or both can play on the interior from guard to guard. Graham is athletically good enough to possibly still win the Region on the road, even with little improvement in the running game IF they don't turnover and rack up holding calls, but it will be nailbitingly close and you don't want to be in that situation. That situation happened Friday night. Their run game is not good enough right now leaving no margin of error against a good team, if they turnover and rack up penalties.

17 hours ago, Eersfan said:

Offensive strategy should be based on personnel. You have to create mismatches and put the defense at a disadvantage. Graham has speed and size at receiver and a speedy QB. When your QB is a run threat , you can run deep routes and open up running lanes for him. If you wanna make the  running game click , you need variety. Go under center every now and then. LB’s get an easy read from the shotgun, especially if they get a quick read on the guards at the snap. Union made the T work and work well , it’s not outdated football  it’s smart football. Spread teams aren’t better coached , they rely on having more speed. That’s why when teams with slower skill players try it and can’t stretch the field, the run game suffers.

In the gun, Union tries to freeze those LBs with motions and jet sweep action. But if those LBs come flying down at the RB, the QB can simply pull the ball out and throw behind them. 

Alabama runs basically all RPOs now with Tua. Whatever the defense gives, they take.