Targeting

footballfanatic

17 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

Targeting is an act by any player who takes aim and initiates
contact against an opponent above the shoulders with the helmet,
forearm, hand, fist, elbow or shoulders. 

what about the knees, have had several kids from different schools say the coach has said to take there knees out on a player that was hard to tackle.?

Le me clarify sorry, our kid got ejected second half of game so is he suspended the first half of the next game? could it be longer?

35 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

Targeting is an act by any player who takes aim and initiates
contact against an opponent above the shoulders with the helmet,
forearm, hand, fist, elbow or shoulders. 

10 minutes ago, footballfanatic said:

Le me clarify sorry, our kid got ejected second half of game so is he suspended the first half of the next game? could it be longer?

it is supposed to be 4 quarters unless, the other school feels it needs more an can make a case of it.

50 minutes ago, footballfanatic said:

The best I can find, targeting in and of itself is a 15 yard penalty only unless it is deemed flagrant. At that point a player can be "disqualified" from the game. Apparently, "ejection" is not a term that is used in NFHS rules.

Anywho, a player that has been disqualified is also disqualified for the next contest unless the disqualification is for fighting. That produces a 2 game disqualification unless reversed on appeal.

1 hour ago, grandpaw trojan said:

what about the knees, have had several kids from different schools say the coach has said to take there knees out on a player that was hard to tackle.?

Targeting, by definition, would not include the knees. However, I would imagine that if a situation arose as to where a player dove into the knee of another after the play a case could be made for unsportsmanlike conduct. If the same happened during a play, it would probably never be called.

Me personally...I have not seen a lot of targeting in high school football. What I have seen is a lot of penalties on hits on defenseless players...with the actions of what we call crack back blocking or taking hits from a blind side like on a kick off when the ball is 20 yards down the field. I've saw a lot of refs throw flags on that particular situation. But I have yet to see a high school player thrown out for targeting.

1 hour ago, footballfanatic said:

I didn't think Bluefield played on Friday. Hitting in knees by definition is not targeting. I would think the rule was not applied correctly if targeting was the call. 

10 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

The best I can find, targeting in and of itself is a 15 yard penalty only unless it is deemed flagrant. At that point a player can be "disqualified" from the game. Apparently, "ejection" is not a term that is used in NFHS rules.

Anywho, a player that has been disqualified is also disqualified for the next contest unless the disqualification is for fighting. That produces a 2 game disqualification unless reversed on appeal.

Correct. Common misunderstanding made by fans AND players is they think targeting in HS results in ejection. We do not have the benefit of replay (yet, and man I dread when we do, only because of how long games would drag) so targeting is penalized the same as any other live ball personal foul. We do our best to use preventative officiating to address these fouls. I've called 3 at the HS level, two on obvious ear holes on the sideline, and one on a back who lowered his head to use the crown of his helmet to plow a DB when he was obviously going OB. It's going to have to have to be obvious to 5 visually impaired people in the top row for most of us to call it flagrant. What I ask myself is "Was this hit truly avoidable?"

The only usual DQ's at this level are for fighting and earning two unsportsmanlike fouls in the same game. 

3 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Can't argue blindside hits,  leading with crown,  deliberate cheap shots,  but it's got to the point you can't tackle hard or just make a good lick.  That being said,  hard for a back or defender to lower shoulder without the head,  just gotta keep eyes up,  easier said than done. 

True, this is where I use preventative officiating if it is borderline. Usually I just remind the player, see what you're hitting and assure them I am just looking out for their well being. I am seeing fewer of these in the course of actual play at all levels, and the game is getting safer in my opinion. I get what you're saying, but I cringe when I see any of them lead with the crown. I do not like to call them because it is soooooo subjective. Out of the other side of my mouth, I like to err on the side of caution and if it's close go ahead and throw it if it's close. 

11 hours ago, UNION#ATW said:

Me personally...I have not seen a lot of targeting in high school football. What I have seen is a lot of penalties on hits on defenseless players...with the actions of what we call crack back blocking or taking hits from a blind side like on a kick off when the ball is 20 yards down the field. I've saw a lot of refs throw flags on that particular situation. But I have yet to see a high school player thrown out for targeting.

There two in the Tazewell Mt View game a few weeks ago.  The first hard to see so ok maybe on that one.  The second was called on our RB while he was carrying the ball.  I know it is possible to lower the head and charge but still a very rare call.  Again I'll say it was down on the sideline so I couldn't see to well to say for sure.

George Wythe starting safety and running back got disqualified in their game against Carroll for targeting in the third quarter.  Buddy called me today and said he was disqualified this week against Auburn. Pretty harsh penalty. Said they appealed it but not sure how that process even works in high school

12 hours ago, footballfanatic said:

George Wythe starting safety and running back got disqualified in their game against Carroll for targeting in the third quarter.  Buddy called me today and said he was disqualified this week against Auburn. Pretty harsh penalty. Said they appealed it but not sure how that process even works in high school

Pretty sure the appeal involves asking the other team (in this case Carroll County) if the suspension fits the punishment.  Very rarely have I ever seen suspensions get overturned.  The only one that I have ever seen overturned was a Burton player who got tossed in the playoff game at Grundy a couple of years ago.