Train Horns

Vol Hater

Each school can decide what is allowed and what is not. I am against any artificial noise maker whileΒ play is on. If you want to toot a horn or a whistle after a score or during a time out then that is fine. I am ok with cowbells and the band playing as long as the band is playing a tune and not just making noise to distract the opponent. Just my two cents worth.

We used toΒ have a guy that had a truck horn mounted on an air tank.Β  Always loved that.Β  Only used it when we scored or made a huge stop.Β  Never did hear why we couldn't have it anymore at home games.Β  It seems to me that schools are just to sensitive about things and we have to make sure not to offend anybody anymore.Β  As much as I hated that blame train at GC or Pulaski, it's part of it.Β  What's next, telling the rescue squads to be quiet with their sirens and no flashing lights when Richlands scores? (I'm sure there are others as well)

24 minutes ago, Bluefield researcher said:

Each school can decide what is allowed and what is not. I am against any artificial noise maker whileΒ play is on. If you want to toot a horn or a whistle after a score or during a time out then that is fine. I am ok with cowbells and the band playing as long as the band is playing a tune and not just making noise to distract the opponent. Just my two cents worth.

You are correct now answer me this why did Grahams AD tell the cops to remove our Air Horn we only blew it after Union Scored their 2 TD's in the 1st half we were told no train horn and left in at home.πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€”

2 minutes ago, Union's hammer said:

You are correct now answer me this why did Grahams AD tell the cops to remove our Air Horn we only blew it after Union Scored their 2 TD's in the 1st half we were told no train horn and left in at home.πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€”

I don't know his reasoning but perhaps you have the reputation of blowing during live play. I am not saying that is true because I haven't been to game at Big Stone Gap in 30 years. Just suggesting it as a possibility.

22 minutes ago, Bluefield researcher said:

I'm perfectly fine blowing horns or artificialΒ noise makers Β of any type except during huddles & during play. It's obviously being done to distract your opponent who are high school kids not college or NFL pros.Β Continuous blowing through offensive playsΒ especially seems a bit over the top to me, others may disagree. We can agree to disagree on that point.Β Β After the play, TDs, great stops on defense ,Β timeouts etc. blow your hornsΒ to your heart's content. I have no issue with that at all, it adds the excitement & atmosphere. (Per the question about Graham's AD, no clue).Β 

The train horn backed off the second half as requested. A small air horn shouldn’t have stirred such a drink. Cowbells, band, air horns shouldn’t bother a bunch of high school kids. I played for Appy in the early 90’s. Riggs Stadium was loud and proud. I can honestly say I didn’t hear much during the games.Β 
Β 

My point is, I think this whole thing is getting blown up by the parents. The people who don’t play, never played, or didn’t want to play. Either way, it’s high school football. The environment, the people, the rivalries. All of it makes Friday nights special. And the noise is a big part of it. So if a fan base is louder or more supportive of their team, don’t take it personal. It’s how we enjoy Friday nights. If you want to watch like a chess match or golf game so be it. That’s your prerogative. Β This post is not directed at any one person, team, or town. It’s meaning isn’t meant to be abrasive. In all honesty I’d like for it to be diffusing of a hot issue.Β 
Β 

May the end of the night, regardless of noise levels, the kids will have memories from the night. The noise will only be in theΒ Β background. let’s not make a mountain out of a mole hill.Β 
Β 

All that being said, Friday at the park is going to be fun. I suspect that GC will bring their toys to play too. Game on friends.Β 

6 hours ago, Union's train horn said:

Just to clarify for all of you there is NO RULE for them. Trust me I've been called to the principal's office πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚. With that being said good luck coming to the park now and bring you some ear plugs @BigWinners.

I simply stated I wasn't a fan. Am I supposed to pretend? I'm not one to sugarcoat much.Β 

Blow it to your hearts content as long as it's not drawing flags. I was under the impression that the VHSL banned those type of artificial noise makers when teams are at the LOS, maybe I'm wrong.Β 

17 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

I simply stated I wasn't a fan. Am I supposed to pretend? I'm not one to sugarcoat much.Β 

Blow it to your hearts content as long as it's not drawing flags. I was under the impression that the VHSL banned those type of artificial noise makers when teams are at the LOS, maybe I'm wrong.Β 

I thought the same thing.Β  Thought there was some kind of rule change 10-12 years ago...

7 hours ago, Bluefield researcher said:

This. Blow it all day long until the QB is lined up trying to get the snap and you’re blowing it to try and cause a penalty. I love the horns and the atmosphere. Just don’t affect the game with it during a play. Just my two cents.Β 

Cause one horn is so much louder than 65,000 jumping fans at lane stadium. You can’t handle a train horn in high school, you ain’t gonna handle playing D1 big school.Β 

When I play for PV in the later 90s I’d much rather heard a train horn, than 3,000 people cussing at us, and the other 3,000 screaming during the PV/Appy games

5 minutes ago, CriticalNoise said:

Cause one horn is so much louder than 65,000 jumping fans at lane stadium. You can’t handle a train horn in high school, you ain’t gonna handle playing D1 big school.Β 

When I play for PV in the later 90s I’d much rather heard a train horn, than 3,000 people cussing at us, and the other 3,000 screaming during the PV/Appy games

There’s a difference β€” to me as least β€” in the droning sound of 65k vs the sudden blasts of a horn when a team is about to snap the ball.Β 

Maybe I’m wrong. Just the way I see it.Β 

9 hours ago, Bluefield researcher said:

I don't know his reasoning but perhaps you have the reputation of blowing during live play. I am not saying that is true because I haven't been to game at Big Stone Gap in 30 years. Just suggesting it as a possibility.

I have been to Big Stone Gap as recently as last year when Graham played Union. The train horn(s) blew incessantly during live play. I’m guessing at least the secondary reason being to draw offsides penalty. I’ll concede the main reason is to fire up their team’s defense (at least I would hope that’s the reason)Β Your suggestion as to why the AD acted as he did Friday night about the air horns is entirely plausible after attending the game at Bullit Park last year. My ears were ringing for days, lol. Β I’m all for horns, bells, bands, & fans; it makes for a great atmosphere. I’m in agreement with most, live play should not be subjected to a nonstop train horn blowing. Some may disagree.Β 

34 minutes ago, FootballFan67 said:

I have been to Big Stone Gap as recently as last year when Graham played Union. The train horn(s) blew incessantly during live play. I’m guessing at least the secondary reason being to draw offsides penalty. I’ll concede the main reason is to fire up their team’s defense (at least I would hope that’s the reason)Β Your suggestion as to why the AD acted as he did Friday night about the air horns is entirely plausible after attending the game at Bullit Park last year. My ears were ringing for days, lol. Β I’m all for horns, bells, bands, & fans; it makes for a great atmosphere. I’m in agreement with most, live play should not be subjected to a nonstop train horn blowing. Some may disagree.Β 

I agree with you...It not likeΒ  we're undefeated when UNION FANS make all the noise with Train & Air horn's, Cowbell's and any other loud devices... The G-men came to Big Stone last year and beat us...My opinion is UNION player's get fired up and player harder when the fans get behind them and cheering loud..πŸ—£πŸ™ŒπŸ’₯

16 hours ago, BigWinners said:

I was just letting you know to bring some. And yes you are wrong on the rule. There is no rule against them at all.

9 hours ago, Burrell’s Pearls said:

Y’all worried about a horn and I’m still trying to figure out how Union snapped the ball, held it and kicked it 22 yards in 2 seconds at Graham. Someone needs to call the Guinness Book of Records. NFL teams can’t do that.Β 

I don't believe anyone is worried about a horn per say.Β Β Obviously, Union fans believe it's perfectly fine to blow it during live play while others disagree. However, it seems most of us want theΒ horns, fans,Β cowbells, band, etc. any other time and loud as they can be. We all love a great Friday Night atmosphere and those add to it! Β As far as I can tell everyone from Graham on this board was complimentary of Union's performance Friday night and thought they played the better game. My thoughts are just because there's no rule against something doesn't mean it should be done.Β  I guess as adults we can agree to disagree about blowing the train horn at the LOS.

16 hours ago, Burrell’s Pearls said:

Y’all worried about a horn and I’m still trying to figure out how Union snapped the ball, held it and kicked it 22 yards in 2 seconds at Graham. Someone needs to call the Guinness Book of Records. NFL teams can’t do that.Β 

That wasn't the only issue with clock.Β  When Union went by 17 or whatever it was and Graham had ball on next drive there were a few times clock never ran and no one noticed except our section but it did back fire when we got ball for our last drive

Makes perfect sense and I love this approach. I love me some train horns. I think the Graham AD was wrong in his approach. Now, if the Huddle is broke and the train horne is fired, an unsportsmanlike penalty is perfect. I would go a step further. Toss the fan out of the stadium IF...it's a fan doing it.Β  I think the West Va rule is spot on.Β