Train Horns

Vol Hater

Here's an honest question.  Love or hate the horns or how they are blown.  Someone commented that we should let the kids decide the outcome.  How many times has anyone been to a basketball game with a pep band in the gym (think JJ Kellys cracker jack box size gym).  And said band plays deliberately during the opposing teams free throw attempts.  Or the cheerleaders standing in front of the shooter shaking their pom poms, all the while the rest of the bleachers are being stomped on by the fans.  

The way I look at it is, its a high school sporting event.  Noise is inherent.  Our engineer of the train horn has backed off to blowing the horn as asked.  He started doing so during the second half of our Richlands game.  Yes, there were some false starts.  Did the horn cause it?  Debatable.  But doesn't most high school teams use shotgun formation and the snap is a clap?  The center is watching this motion right?  

So embrace the noise at The Park.  It's not going to be like watching in some stadiums, like watching a funeral.  It is what it is.  The horns gonna blow, within the parameters given.  The cowbells are gonna ring non-stop and the crowd will be electric.  Good luck to GC.  They are on the up and up, so I'm sure they will bring the noise.  Let's play ball.  At the end of the day, the kids will decide the outcome...or the occasional rouge ref that feels the need to be relevant haha.

Not stirring the pot, just adding my two cents worth.

43 minutes ago, Liam McPoyle said:

You d@m-ed spoiled brats and your artificial noisemakers.  Back in the early 60s, we couldn't afford to just go out and buy some noise. We had to make our own.

True, but we've been saving our money up, for 8 years, to buy the horn using money collected from our newspaper route, selling aluminum cans and glass bottles and running errands for Aunt Bee.

Honestly the noise is not that big a deal for the offense if there are no audibles being called and honestly that is not the case 95% of the time. 

It can be a hindrance to hearing the play blown dead by an official which could lead to some late hits not sure if officials take that into account when throwing the flag in that situation or not

I've heard these horns during games when they were just loud and other times when they hurt my ears pretty bad. I don't think you should be able to blow them during a play, and why on earth would we want to give people hearing damage? Outside of that I think it's kinda cool. Just my opinion. 

53 minutes ago, The U Bear said:

i personally hate the train horn but i can tolerate it ,cowbells and most noise makers are ok but i jus dont get why you would want to blow a train horn unless you jus love the attention

This is not me and I have no idea who it is, before the conspiracies begin. 

On 9/25/2019 at 7:12 PM, Bluefield researcher said:

It ends at the act of intentionally trying to get an advantage. There is noise in the stadium. Natural noise and a band or two. There are lights in a stadium at night. Sometimes these things do impact play but it is not designed to do that. When something is designed to distract an opponent to gain advantage that is where it crosses the line IMO. I am a PA announcer for Graham and Bluefield. Am I allowed to scream on the PA when the opponent is trying to call signals? Of course not. It is unethical.

Im not sure how the train horn at Union has affected other teams but it did cause 3 false starts in the first 2 series against Richlands. I think it does give a defensive advantage cuz defense looks at the ball. Offensive lineman listens for count. And who's to say that Union defensive players weren't shouting out the cadence during train horn? They could've easily done it with that horn and refs would not be able to hear over the horn. Not saying Richlands lost due to the horn but they lost some momentum there and football is a game of momentum. 

Graham fans said they were ok with it but that wasnt the train horn. I read it was just an air horn. Big difference. And I didn't read anywhere that they were blowing it during the cadence.

Not sure if the guy is still blowing it during the snap but if so im pretty sure this will not be allowed in the playoffs. Its clearly done to try to gain an advantage. May not have that advantage in the playoffs. So why get them used to something they wont have when it really matters?

I don’t get folks whining about this train horn. Anyone who has ever been on the field at Bullitt Park would know that you can hear the crowd and horns etc. but it’s nowhere near as loud down there as you would think it would be. Blaming the noise for mental mistakes is just a cop out. Back in my time, they used to blast an air raid siren when the bus arrived. It was deafening if you were in the stands, but not so much on the field. If you are jumping offsides or false starting because of any kind of crowd noise, that’s a lack of discipline, plain and simple. Another thing, on that field, noise from the visitor side is much more audible than from the home side because the stands are in a much close proximity to the field. During the Richlands game, the guy with the train horn was about 3 rows directly behind me and, yes it was loud, but it wasn’t that loud. If you were sitting across the field and claim it was deafening, you must have the ear sensitivity of a bat. This whole controversy is just so overblown... to me it just sounds like a case of sour grapes.