Graham's OL and changes

Hokie1Pokie

Talked with the OL coach yesterday. My statement was this. Move Booker permanently to a guard spot and have Edwards and Kastner play the other guard spot with those two alternating series so both are fresh at linebacker on D. Have a combo of Bradshaw and Ray at the RB position with the other playing WR when not playing RB, and when Blevins comes in at QB for a series here and there, have Lester at RB. 

Graham is already 4 games into the season like other schools. The season goes by quick. There are three senior studs that are athletes and they are strong. Edwards and Kastner around 215 to 220ish. Both are strong and quick as well as Booker. I hope these changes are implemented. If they are, you will see a different Graham run game and a team that could repeat as Region Champions and state champions. Without those changes, I don't think Graham gets past the second round. The interior portion of Graham's OL and the level of play/success and outcomes can be fixed with adjusting player personnel, and I think the changes would show instantly. Waiting until the playoffs to make this switch would likely be to late. Those 3 guys need the reps now to get the technique down. They have the athletic ability and strength to make it happen and make Graham's interior part of the OL not just improved, but actually very good.

Only my thoughts 

Offense definitely needs some adjustments and soon as stated above, regular season is almost half over. We’ve got some great athletes and speed! We need to utilize them and they need to get things down way before November rolls around. We need to be more disciplined play especially on offense. We should have won the two games we’ve lost. Hopefully, we can win from here on out! Go GMen! 

23 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

If in fact some of those changes happen, especially one of them playing on the line. I will buy you a frosty😂  I'm not disagreeing with your thinking but the social media world would be turned upside down. Facebook would explode. 

I hear ya man. I don't disagree. By the way, for all I know, it might not work at all. I'm just giving my opinion and you know what they say about opinions and A h#$@$, lol. 

33 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

If in fact some of those changes happen, especially one of them playing on the line. I will buy you a frosty😂  I'm not disagreeing with your thinking but the social media world would be turned upside down. Facebook would explode. 

It’s already started to explode. 😂

5 hours ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

Talked with the OL coach yesterday. My statement was this. Move Booker permanently to a guard spot and have Edwards and Kastner play the other guard spot with those two alternating series so both are fresh at linebacker on D. Have a combo of Bradshaw and Ray at the RB position with the other playing WR when not playing RB, and when Blevins comes in at QB for a series here and there, have Lester at RB. 

Graham is already 4 games into the season like other schools. The season goes by quick. There are three senior studs that are athletes and they are strong. Edwards and Kastner around 215 to 220ish. Both are strong and quick as well as Booker. I hope these changes are implemented. If they are, you will see a different Graham run game and a team that could repeat as Region Champions and state champions. Without those changes, I don't think Graham gets past the second round. The interior portion of Graham's OL and the level of play/success and outcomes can be fixed with adjusting player personnel, and I think the changes would show instantly. Waiting until the playoffs to make this switch would likely be to late. Those 3 guys need the reps now to get the technique down. They have the athletic ability and strength to make it happen and make Graham's interior part of the OL not just improved, but actually very good.

Only my thoughts 

I would be more worried about the defensive front. They couldn’t get off the field against union. Union seemed to uncover a weakness in having a big back run up the middle. They need a to develop some size at DT to use when teams try this strategy.

My G-Men do need to work on their running game in order to become more balanced. However, they are averaging 35 points per game. The adjustments need to be made on defense. If they are scoring 35 points in a game, they should win with all of the returning starters that they have back on defense. If someone would have said prior to the season that Graham would average 35 points per game for 10 games, most of us would say they would be undefeated after 10. The G-Men have only lost 3 football games in two years. Twice to Bluefield and once to Union. As a Graham fan and alum, I think we need to just let the coaches coach and continue to cheer for our team.

10 hours ago, Gfan said:

I would be more worried about the defensive front. They couldn’t get off the field against union. Union seemed to uncover a weakness in having a big back run up the middle. They need a to develop some size at DT to use when teams try this strategy.

Defense was missing Isaiah Justice which probably had some affect against a team like Union. Plus Kastner being out week before against Giles & not practicing. You need all your D starters when playing against solid teams. Offense needs work as far as more disciplined play. Probably 8 TDs called back this year and countless penalties. I think both sides of ball are good and can make another run in playoffs but it's imperative to clean things up & stay healthy (Graham doesn't have depth of other teams). 

Many of these holding penalties are holding calls because Graham has to hold. There are more than a few times they are getting beat up front and forced to hold to prevent a loss of yardage. 

Graham does not have the size up front of D as JG mentioned and that can hurt some, but there is no fixing that in a 2-3 month period. Graham has to live with that and just try to be better. 

On Offense, the lack of running game and the lack of time the QB has to throw on a straight drop is noticeable. Lester is leaving the pocket quickly, some by design, but some not by design. The lack of an effective running game usually presents itself inside the red zone. You will see the speed and athleticism stretch the field and be very solid in between the 20s, then when the field is shortened and the Defense has less field to cover, a struggling run game can show up. Bluefield, it showed immediately in the first 3 minutes of the game and throughout and against Union, immediately showed forcing a field goal going up 10-0 instead of 14-0. 

As for Graham and OL issues. I gave my opinion just like anyone else in this thread that gave there's. I also have the honesty to not just be a keyboard warrior, but simply shared my thoughts with one of the coaches. Whether one agrees or not is fine, but I'm not sure it should bring anger. didn't say they agree. I didn't say it would automatically work. But, I have an opinion. Two of the huge leaders and seniors on this team are Kastner and Edwards. They are also two of the best football players on the team. Those two need to be in both sides of the ball, not just one side, and place em at guard and stop the self inflicted penalties, and they walk in to the state semis, even on the road at Union and Ridge view.

P.S. You guys do realize Edwards got a series up front on Offense against Union? That happened before my post was about the OL. 

12 hours ago, Gfan said:

I don't know the history on Meadows, but even if he has no clue on defense, I would think that big body would take up quite a bit of space on the D line if he were used on short yardage situations or against a run heavy team like Union. I was looking for him to go in at some point Friday night, but he never did.

15 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

I don't know the history on Meadows, but even if he has no clue on defense, I would think that big body would take up quite a bit of space on the D line if he were used on short yardage situations or against a run heavy team like Union. I was looking for him to go in at some point Friday night, but he never did.

Exactly. The kid has the size and is a decent athlete. They would be better off using him in a 4 or 5 man front against a team like union. clog the middle and keep your linebackers clean to make tackles. I don’t know if you need to run that type of defense all the time but if someone is going to run straight up the middle on you, then it seems like the best option.

49 minutes ago, falconfan1 said:

Just a little curious about this....are you saying that Coach Austin listened to you and used him that way you suggested?  I just would like to know how many practices you go to, how many drills you run, etc, etc, etc,

I'm curious as well..... on you. Are you a Graham fan? Aren't you the guy that seemingly turns up in nearly every GC thread taking a shot at them? 

Now, since you are "curious," (and you are not by the way), you are looking to argue, but did I ever write that Coach Austin "listened to me?" Where was that written? Where was it implied? You asked how many practices I go. I am concerned why you haven't asked the exact same question to any other poster with an opinion? Is that a requirement for an opinion? A disclosure of practices attended? LOL. The real question I would have for you is....why the anger? If one fan has the opinion that he would love to see Booker, Kastner, and Edwards splitting to the two guard positions, why would your first response be anger? Why not happy? Why not indifference? Also, are you sure it's a bad idea? 

Now, I won't address you any further with this and I will let you get back to your GC vs Hurley thread because you are looking to argue rather than discuss and share opinions and thoughts about High School Football, other than your usual shots at GC. 

Go GMen! 

"Talked with the OL coach yesterday. My statement was this. Move Booker permanently to a guard spot and have Edwards and Kastner play the other guard spot with those two alternating series so both are fresh at linebacker on D. Have a combo of Bradshaw and Ray at the RB position with the other playing WR when not playing RB, and when Blevins comes in at QB for a series here and there, have Lester at RB. "

Who said anything about being angry?  I asked a valid question about how many practices you actually attend.  How many years of experience do you have?  You were the one that jumped into my comments some time back.  Just wanted to know what makes you an expert?  I didn't know you were a GC fan either?  I may be a Graham fan....I have seen them numerous times and I have also seen them play in each of their state title games, since 1989.  I usually take up for many of the coaches, so I ask again, what makes you sooooo qualified to put on here that you talked to the O-line coach and your statement is listed above.  That's why it is easy for you guys on here to make "suggestions" which seems to reiterate you all know more than the guys coaching.

Lot of statements here about You and not Graham football. The thread wasn't about you You made the statement that you "take up for Coaches." That's a good equality to have. A bad quality is assuming a fans opinion is an attack on coaches. If you truly knew me, you would know I'm one of Tony's biggest supporters and that includes one of my closest friends, Chris Austin who is the OL coach and a dam* good one who I speak with about once per week the last 25 years. Your making yourself look like a fool all the way from Abingdon, VA, in attempt to argue. If your stick is the "I take up for Coaches thing" then do that with your constant rumbling with GC fans. Graham has no coaching issues. It has a recent state title brother. 

I want to make something clear to you as I did a month ago when you called someone an idiot. YOU don't get to ask questions when you insult. YOU don't get to ask questions about people personally when they simply have an opinion. YOU aren't entitled to that.  If you knew anything and I mean one ounce about Graham football, you would know like a few reading this close to the program that what I've write has been pondered 50/50 back and forth among not just fans, bit Graham coaches since August, but you attempt to make yourself ASSume. I will give you the first part, but the "out of me" part I won't give ya. Now worry about them Falcons of Abingdon.

No who is mad?  Angry?  Upset?  Looks like you are the one.  Hmmm.  I think Graham will be just fine.  Statements weren't about me.  Statements were made about your qualifications.  Didn't ask about your relationship with the coaching staff.   You pointed out that you made a suggestion about playing these kids both ways.  That makes it sound like you are questioning what the coaching staff is doing.  Glad you are friends with them, because with friends like you, who needs enemies.   I asked about your qualifications.  Now you evidently can't comprehend what I asked,  or you are an idiot.  

1 hour ago, Gfan said:

Exactly. The kid has the size and is a decent athlete. They would be better off using him in a 4 or 5 man front against a team like union. clog the middle and keep your linebackers clean to make tackles. I don’t know if you need to run that type of defense all the time but if someone is going to run straight up the middle on you, then it seems like the best option.

Just for Devil's Advocate Gfan, who or what in the absolute he"" gives you the right to attack the coaches with your statement? Hey, how many practices did you attend last week or how many drills have you watched them run for God's sakes to qualify you about whether Meadows on D? What the heck qualifies you................(no longer Devil's Advocate now)..to give your own harmless opinion about a topic and subject you love which is Graham football on a message board about football in SWVA? How dare you man! 

Gfan, seriously, I hear you but here is my take on it. Not saying it's right or wrong. I think that Meadows is so absolutely valuable right now, on the OL, that the thought may be, "we need this guy 100 percent every snap on the OL." Our interior OL from center to center is going to get better and better and they are first time guys, and they have struggled some. Keep in mind Bluefield and Union aren't exactly slouches. But my guess is that Meadows is so valuable they just don't want the risk of injury or having him not tired and ready to go with every snap on O. Time on D would be increased chance of being tired and increased chance of injury, and they can't afford that right now on the OL. 

The above is my take. Graham is very solid, but doesn't have the depth as you stated a while back. I do hope and think that Graham will gamble some with that. What I'm getting at is, let's say Graham gets in round 2 of the playoffs. You know you only have so many quarters left in the season and you don't and can't worry about 5-7 weeks down the road for injuries. This is where I think we may see Meadows playing both ways, and as I eluded to earlier, I hope Booker, Edwards, and Kastner get the looks at the guard positions to shore up the interior part of the OL.

I also think Graham is still good enough, even with the slight weak spot of interior OL and maybe the down front of the DL, that if we don't turnover and make stupid mistakes, we can still possible get by and beat a Union or whoever in the playoffs. With the deficiencies noted, I think those teams like Union, Ridgrview, and Richland's STILL are dependent on Graham having lots of penalties and costly turnovers to beat us. The concern is, the margin of error is far less than what it was last year.

17 minutes ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

Our interior OL from center to center is going to get better and better

Excuse me but I think I’ve found the problem. If they are using two centers does Center A snap the ball to Center B who then snaps the ball to the quarterback. This seems awful time consuming and is probably affecting the timing of the running game. Or do they have two centers so one center can snap the ball to Lester and the other center can snap the ball to Blevins. That’s a bold strategy Mike Leach hasn’t even thought of. Of course there is only one football, so I don’t think that’s it. So, if there is only one center and the interior line between the center is going to keep getting better and better, who exactly is playing between the center? Never mind I don’t want to know the answer to that question...

25 minutes ago, GusDaGuesser said:

Excuse me but I think I’ve found the problem. If they are using two centers does Center A snap the ball to Center B who then snaps the ball to the quarterback. This seems awful time consuming and is probably affecting the timing of the running game. Or do they have two centers so one center can snap the ball to Lester and the other center can snap the ball to Blevins. That’s a bold strategy Mike Leach hasn’t even thought of. Of course there is only one football, so I don’t think that’s it. So, if there is only one center and the interior line between the center is going to keep getting better and better, who exactly is playing between the center? Never mind I don’t want to know the answer to that question...

I think it works like a centipede. The ball is passed from hand to butt until it reaches the QB, but what do I know. haha

3 hours ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

Just for Devil's Advocate Gfan, who or what in the absolute he"" gives you the right to attack the coaches with your statement? Hey, how many practices did you attend last week or how many drills have you watched them run for God's sakes to qualify you about whether Meadows on D? What the heck qualifies you................(no longer Devil's Advocate now)..to give your own harmless opinion about a topic and subject you love which is Graham football on a message board about football in SWVA? How dare you man! 

Gfan, seriously, I hear you but here is my take on it. Not saying it's right or wrong. I think that Meadows is so absolutely valuable right now, on the OL, that the thought may be, "we need this guy 100 percent every snap on the OL." Our interior OL from center to center is going to get better and better and they are first time guys, and they have struggled some. Keep in mind Bluefield and Union aren't exactly slouches. But my guess is that Meadows is so valuable they just don't want the risk of injury or having him not tired and ready to go with every snap on O. Time on D would be increased chance of being tired and increased chance of injury, and they can't afford that right now on the OL. 

The above is my take. Graham is very solid, but doesn't have the depth as you stated a while back. I do hope and think that Graham will gamble some with that. What I'm getting at is, let's say Graham gets in round 2 of the playoffs. You know you only have so many quarters left in the season and you don't and can't worry about 5-7 weeks down the road for injuries. This is where I think we may see Meadows playing both ways, and as I eluded to earlier, I hope Booker, Edwards, and Kastner get the looks at the guard positions to shore up the interior part of the OL.

I also think Graham is still good enough, even with the slight weak spot of interior OL and maybe the down front of the DL, that if we don't turnover and make stupid mistakes, we can still possible get by and beat a Union or whoever in the playoffs. With the deficiencies noted, I think those teams like Union, Ridgrview, and Richland's STILL are dependent on Graham having lots of penalties and costly turnovers to beat us. The concern is, the margin of error is far less than what it was last year.

Lol how do you know that I did not seek prior approval from the coaches to attack them before posting this. Jk

Now in all seriousness, I think we are saying the same thing. I am not advocating to totally switch the defense. I just think, a plan for when they run into this situation would help. That was a big game last week and we seemed slow to adapt to Unions game plan. If I am every team Graham plays, I am going to attempt to attack their D the same way. It probably won’t matter until the playoffs, but it would be nice to get a few snaps with a bigger line before then. So they are prepared.

Gfan, agree with you. Doesn't have to be a whole series, but what about one play here or there on a 3rd and 3? I think it's an awesome idea. I also think we both see this happening come playoff time. The kid is a stud athelete. He can play hoops also. Watching Bluefield was all I needed to see about his talent. The kid got the best of Martin more times than not when Martin was on his side. Freddy was sharp in rotating Martin to different sides, but when Meadows and him went head to head, the young sophomore did just fine.