Week 5 updates.

SW_VA_boy

1 hour ago, MrBigChest said:

I'd be sick of taking L's every year too of i was you.

Maybe Grundy will pick you guys back up 

Awwww. Welcome to the board. That’s a real sick burn ya got there. 

Good luck to Bluefield the rest of the way. They played hard and classy. Too bad the refs from their association are 💩 and that makes this series need to end just like it did in 2003. 

1 hour ago, EH31 said:

This post also makes no sense considering 1raham hasn’t played a 1A team since 2016 when Graham was in the MED and forced to play 1A schools that were in their district. 

Then i may stand corrected. I thought Fort was still 1A. They just moved up recently though i think. Radford as well. Yeh but 2016 had 4 1A schools you're correct. But i still dont understand the post as i cant remember Richlands playing a 1A team in many years.

To the folks who are acting like Trenton played the whole game tonight vs. Lee, you are incorrect.  He had two carries in the first quarter and was out with cramping till midway through the second.  At halftime he only had five carries and I believe he finished with only 10.

You always hear other teams say Richlands cries when they lose. But I see now how true this really is. The call on the onside kick was the right call by the rule. It is up to the coach to know the rule of how many has to be on each side of the kicker. . CRY BABIES!!!!!!

1 hour ago, crazyFB said:

You always hear other teams say Richlands cries when they lose. But I see now how true this really is. The call on the onside kick was the right call by the rule. It is up to the coach to know the rule of how many has to be on each side of the kicker. . CRY BABIES!!!!!!

Coach Mance said the best team won so kudos to him. He didn't even mention officiating in the interview, kept it classy. Gave Bluefield credit for shutting down their running game. Sage Webb is a tremendous player for Blues but Bluefield just has several tremendous players. They had too much strength and speed for Blues. End of story. 

7 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Good luck to Bluefield the rest of the way. They played hard and classy. Too bad the refs from their association are 💩 and that makes this series need to end just like it did in 2003. 

If this series ends, it will be impossible for us to forge relationships with our neighbors from WV. We must strive for peace and harmony through athletics. Please don’t end this series!

6 minutes ago, LongTimeSWVAFan said:

If this series ends, it will be impossible for us to forge relationships with our neighbors from WV. We must strive for peace and harmony through athletics. Please don’t end this series!

I honestly can't tell if you're trolling or serious.

1 hour ago, crazyFB said:

PM me your cell number and I’ll show you the video to prove you wrong. 

When the ball was kicked there was 4 on one side and 6 on the other. And that, sir, is legal. 

1 hour ago, Gridiron60 said:

Coach Mance said the best team won so kudos to him. He didn't even mention officiating in the interview, kept it classy. Gave Bluefield credit for shutting down their running game. Sage Webb is a tremendous player for Blues but Bluefield just has several tremendous players. They had too much strength and speed for Blues. End of story. 

Excellent point that Greg Mance "kept it classy"  in the post-game interview.  He has always impressed me how he treats others with grace, respect, and dignity.   

15 hours ago, RichRich said:

He has personal goals

Personal goals are good but when the score is that big that late in the game, let the younger players have experience. He can be a couple of steps from an injury, whether from cheap shots or landing awkwardly. You don’t want to take a chance like that when he doesn’t need to be in. 

I don't have a dog in this fight - although  I have been around high school football for almost 30 years. The officials the past three years have been progressively worse. It really is becoming an issue as It is affecting game outcomes. The other night at GW vs Auburn, GW player strips the ball falls on it right in front of the line judge. The back judge who doesn't  have a view of it says the fumble was caused by the ground, (although the ball carrier never went to the ground). The officials get confused somehow and discuss between themselves then decides to do   a replay of down. Which lead to an Auburn TD a few plays later when it should of been GW ball.   How does that even happen? 

17 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Official ruling on the onside. White hat says we didn’t have 4 on one side of the ball. We did. And have proof that will be submitted to the WVSSAC. 

I was curious about what went down on the onside kick as well because we know the ball clearly went 10 yards.  Looked at the rules and it states the following “Players on the kickoff team are no longer able to get a running start before the kick and players must be distributed evenly on either side of the kicker, five to his right and five to his left.  So, I looked at some video and this is what I see on the play. Now clearly, I am no replay official but from the looks of things you can see that the side Levi kicked to has 6 players on that side.  I am going to attach the image.  Not trying to start anything at all either.  Hopefully if anything this clears the call up.  Best of luck to both teams going forward.   A3859065-AB6C-444D-9953-A09C67A6A6F8.thumb.jpeg.ec7ff0aeca8309465ddbefe748984175.jpeg

20 minutes ago, SWVsportsNUT said:

I was curious about what went down on the onside kick as well because we know the ball clearly went 10 yards.  Looked at the rules and it states the following “Players on the kickoff team are no longer able to get a running start before the kick and players must be distributed evenly on either side of the kicker, five to his right and five to his left.  So, I looked at some video and this is what I see on the play. Now clearly, I am no replay official but from the looks of things you can see that the side Levi kicked to has 6 players on that side.  I am going to attach the image.  Not trying to start anything at all either.  Hopefully if anything this clears the call up.  Best of luck to both teams going forward.   A3859065-AB6C-444D-9953-A09C67A6A6F8.thumb.jpeg.ec7ff0aeca8309465ddbefe748984175.jpeg

This picture seems to justify the officials call based on the rule you state. The rule you state says there has to be 5 players on each side of the kicker. This picture clearly shows there is not. It is also not clear whether #5 is actually on either side of the kicker. He could be ruled directly behind the kicker. 

If that is the rule, it’s worded badly. When kicking from the hash, you can’t evenly distribute players across the field and have 5 on each side of the kicker at the same time. Teams will end up putting 5 to the short side and kicking it in that direction...you won’t get the big bounce, but it will increase the odds of recovering the kick.

13 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

To the folks who are acting like Trenton played the whole game tonight vs. Lee, you are incorrect.  He had two carries in the first quarter and was out with cramping till midway through the second.  At halftime he only had five carries and I believe he finished with only 10.

Yeh folks were acting like they were running him constantly.  I listened on the radio wasnt the case

5 hours ago, SWVsportsNUT said:

5 hours ago, Bluefield researcher said:

This picture seems to justify the officials call based on the rule you state. The rule you state says there has to be 5 players on each side of the kicker. This picture clearly shows there is not. It is also not clear whether #5 is actually on either side of the kicker. He could be ruled directly behind the kicker. 

Wrong. The rule is AT LEAST 4 on either side. 

Here is the direct language straight from the NFHS 2019 Rule Book. 

“ART. 4 . . . At the time the ball is kicked, at least four K players must be on each side of the kicker.”

Excerpt From
2019 NFHS Football Rules Book
NFHS
https://books.apple.com/us/book/2019-nfhs-football-rules-book/id1464744219
This material may be protected by copyright.

There are 4 on each side of Fle. 5 (Steele) is a step to his left. He’s lined up on the hash mark, the exact same way the player is on the opposite side. The ball is placed a foot inside the hash. It was a legal kick. Period.

6 hours ago, SWVsportsNUT said:

Could you please provide a reference to the rule you cite (to verify)?

9 hours ago, rsntu88 said:

Personal goals are good but when the score is that big that late in the game, let the younger players have experience. He can be a couple of steps from an injury, whether from cheap shots or landing awkwardly. You don’t want to take a chance like that when he doesn’t need to be in. 

You realize he really didnt play much dont. Ya

58 minutes ago, Liam McPoyle said:

The "five player rule" is an NFL rule. It was changed from four players at the start of the 2018 season. The high school rule is four players unless it was changed recently.

It’s not particularly clear from the photograph posted that #5 (Steele) isn’t  in fact lined up directly behind Forrest.  That would be a valid procedure violation.  

21 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Richlands talent level has dropped. They can’t play with Bluefield anymore..... no shame in calling a spade a spade. 

Blu has D1 talent all over the field. Richlands has a kicker. Big difference 

1 minute ago, MrBigChest said:

Richlands talent level has dropped. They can’t play with Bluefield anymore..... no shame in calling a spade a spade. 

Blu has D1 talent all over the field. Richlands has a kicker. Big difference 

So much of a difference. I mean, it was such a big bad 3 point lead at halftime. You’re right. We shouldn’t have even been on the field with y’all. How dare lowly Richlands even step across the state line. 

Ike with a cast on and JJ on the bench. You seen what happened when he got on the field. 

Richlands fan can never admit they’re the less talented team. I heard the tornadoes’ fans talking at the concession stand last season for the playoff game about how they was going to beat graham that day and the regular season game was a fluke. I lol’d Richlands coaching is good enough to make a game respectable for a short time but you can’t overcome a talent gap that big. Graham rolled both times last year because they was the more talented team. Just like bluefield last night