Historical perspective -- how bad is this VT team?

RichlandsAlum

I think it all hinges on Hooker’s progress and if we could get Turner and Hazelton on the field at the same time....along with Mitchell and Keene and Robinson and Grimsley. Hooker makes the defense honor the jet sweeps and those type of plays. When they have to honor his run ability, that opens up stuff downfield. No team we’ve played has honored Willis’ running ability, and it showed. 

Hooker is the key to a bowl game or not. 

Miami gave VT 5 turnovers in the first 24 minutes of the contest; VT led 28-0; and VT had to survive a missed XP and some boneheaded penalties by Miami to avoid losing.  That's not exactly a confidence-inspiring win.  That being said, VT will probably back into a bowl due to the weakness in the games to come.

3 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Miami gave VT 5 turnovers in the first 24 minutes of the contest; VT led 28-0; and VT had to survive a missed XP and some boneheaded penalties by Miami to avoid losing.  That's not exactly a confidence-inspiring win.  That being said, VT will probably back into a bowl due to the weakness in the games to come.

Still showed some sort of testicular fortitude to go down and score and then hold them in the red zone. Could have easily given up and rolled over. 

Coaching needs to have the put em away attitude.  Up 28-0 VT had the chance to drive down and score right before the half.  Instead they went conservative and started running plays to keep the clock moving.  This carried over for the entire 3rd quarter until Miami started their comeback.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/2/2019 at 2:35 PM, 1inStripes said:

Willie Taggart has been a flop almost everywhere he has been.  Why FSU went that route I have no idea.  He is 4 games below 500 for his career and has only one 10+ games once in his career I believe.  That hire by Oregon and then again by FSU was a head scratcher to me as he is the epitome of mediocre.  He will probably be Tennnessees next coach he would be such a bad hire.

And Taggert is done at FSU. Thankfully Pruitt seems to be getting it together at TN so we can avoid that mistake. 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/florida-state-football-fires-coach-willie-taggart-nine-games-into-his-second-season/

With three games to go, I will amend my fretting to note that Tech appears to be performing on about the same level as Beamer's final years beginning in 2012.

Fuente looks to be given more time to implement his system based on the play of his QB recruits (Hooker and Patterson).  Will be interesting to see how that plays out.

Thank God it's basketball season.  (A bit TIC there but I do think we snagged a good coach in Mike Young.)

On 10/7/2019 at 10:45 AM, Ryan4VT said:

I think it all hinges on Hooker’s progress and if we could get Turner and Hazelton on the field at the same time....along with Mitchell and Keene and Robinson and Grimsley. Hooker makes the defense honor the jet sweeps and those type of plays. When they have to honor his run ability, that opens up stuff downfield. No team we’ve played has honored Willis’ running ability, and it showed. 

Hooker is the key to a bowl game or not. 

Hooker has not lost a game yet. As I said a month ago — he IS the key to VT’s season. Hold par at home against Pitt and beat GT on the road and it sets up maybe the most important commonwealth cup in decades. 

18 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Hooker has not lost a game yet. As I said a month ago — he IS the key to VT’s season. Hold par at home against Pitt and beat GT on the road and it sets up maybe the most important commonwealth cup in decades. 

I agree but the defense has come on strong the last 2 games to help out. Bud has done a magnificent job with this young group. 

54 minutes ago, Widespread_Panic said:

I agree but the defense has come on strong the last 2 games to help out. Bud has done a magnificent job with this young group. 

I think the D had given up hope with Willis at QB. They knew if they got down one score — they couldn’t get it back. I think the switch to Hooker injected life into the offense, defense and the fanbase. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hooker has saved Va Tech football.....and how about buds defense....2 shutouts in a row ....now gotta take care of uvgay next week and it's on to face Clemson....this should be a good game next Friday uvgay been playing good ball to.

1 hour ago, #1BLUESFAN said:

Hooker has saved Va Tech football.....and how about buds defense....2 shutouts in a row ....now gotta take care of uvgay next week and it's on to face Clemson....this should be a good game next Friday uvgay been playing good ball to.

That’s the class we’ve all come to expect from backwater Hokie fans...

It was 371 days where the Hokies lost who they were.  From last years' ODU debacle until this season's blowout to Duke, the future looked quite grim. This period witnessed nines losses, team infighting, a bowl loss,  the first losing season since 1991, mass exodus through the portal, and calls for Fuente's job.  Since then, the team responded by reeling off six wins over two ranked opponents, took a taleted Irish team to the brink in South Bend, kept the bowl steak alive, regained a national ranking, pitched back-to back conference shutouts, and quieted the Fuente critics.  

Things can turn south quickly at Scott on Friday, but credit Fuente, Foster & Co for a remarkable turnaround. 

57 minutes ago, RichlandsAlum said:

Bringing in Jerry Kill was also a stroke of genius (easy to say in hindsight, of course).

Having an outside eye to implement schemes to match personnel with strength is really what queued the turnaround.  VT has always been at its best with a mobile QB and offense that doesn’t make mistakes to beat itself.  They have that now.  Nothing flamboyant or spectacular, just executing each and every play.

15 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

That’s the class we’ve all come to expect from backwater Hokie fans...

I can find ya some more tweets that put that one to shame if ya want haha. Bad apples on both sides. 

I didn't know until today that Fuente had been pursuing Kill before the season began. 

Below is excerpt from a Gobbler Country article by Bryan D. Manning on 09-16-19. 

"According to Fuente, he invited Kill to fall camp in August and asked him to give his honest assessment of the program. They talked about a role then but apparently the role and money had to be approved until he could join the Hokies in an official capacity.

Fans should not pay attention to the timing. This has been in the works since before the season. This has nothing to do with Fuente’s job security or Bud Foster’s impending retirement. All in all, this is a smart move by Fuente. Kill will not be able to work with the players but he can travel to games, watch practice, etc. He can be a good sounding board for Fuente as he tries to get the Hokies turned around. Kill could also help Fuente in finding Foster’s replacement for next year, which will be a make-or-break hire for Fuente."

https://www.gobblercountry.com/2019/9/16/20869750/virginia-tech-football-hokies-add-former-minnesota-coach-jerry-kill-to-staff

55 minutes ago, cityofRaven said:

Sally Hemings.

Jimmy Kibble, Derrius Monroe, Manny Clemente, Mike Imoh, Brandon Pace, D.J. Walton, Branden Ore, Todd Nolen, Antonio Banks, Jim Druckenmiller, Cornell Brown, Tyron Edmond, Sean Sullivan, Nat Williams, Michael Hawkes, Angelo Harrison, Brian Edmonds, Kenny Harrell, ConVick I, ConVick II, Theodore Miller, Brandon Flowers, Rolan Roberts, Dennis Mims, Brad Baylor, Pedro Edison, Corey Moore, Andre Kendrick, Marcus Parker,  George DelRicco, Jesus Rodriguez, Walter Ford.

All them bad eggs and not nary a championship to show for it.

2 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Jimmy Kibble, Derrius Monroe, Manny Clemente, Mike Imoh, Brandon Pace, D.J. Walton, Branden Ore, Todd Nolen, Antonio Banks, Jim Druckenmiller, Cornell Brown, Tyron Edmond, Sean Sullivan, Nat Williams, Michael Hawkes, Angelo Harrison, Brian Edmonds, Kenny Harrell, ConVick I, ConVick II, Theodore Miller, Brandon Flowers, Rolan Roberts, Dennis Mims, Brad Baylor, Pedro Edison, Corey Moore, Andre Kendrick, Marcus Parker,  George DelRicco, Jesus Rodriguez, Walter Ford.

All them bad eggs and not nary a championship to show for it.

None of those people mentioned were then patriarch of your precious school either...