Paintsville @ Union

CriticalNoise

22 hours ago, Plywood_King said:

As a musician who was a big fan of his long before it was cool, yes, there is. White House Road is quickly becoming Wagon Wheel for folks playing country music and taking requests in bars.

Dude Tyler has been around a while.  Wtf do you even mean before it was cool?  I doubt anyone put you down for liking him.  Hell 88.7 has played him for yrs.  Quit acting like you discovered him and are now bored because other folks like him.  Freaking hipsters.  

9 hours ago, RichRich said:

Dude Tyler has been around a while.  Wtf do you even mean before it was cool?  I doubt anyone put you down for liking him.  Hell 88.7 has played him for yrs.  Quit acting like you discovered him and are now bored because other folks like him.  Freaking hipsters.  

Easy killer, it's just a turn of phrase; not trying to pull clout or anything. I was simply trying to say I have been a fan since around 2011, and considering that I don't live in the coal fields, up until probably eighteen months ago, I didn't know anyone else who listened to him. Meanwhile, I popped into an open mic night two weeks ago and in three hours, I heard eight mediocre covers of his songs and four songs that he has covered that were credited as "here's a Tyler Childers song." Not that I'm upset that he's successful or that I don't like him anymore, it just gets tedious from a musician's standpoint. I like Skynyrd too, but that doesn't mean I'm filled with joy every time someone says, "hey, play Simple Man."

14 hours ago, Plywood_King said:

Easy killer, it's just a turn of phrase; not trying to pull clout or anything. I was simply trying to say I have been a fan since around 2011, and considering that I don't live in the coal fields, up until probably eighteen months ago, I didn't know anyone else who listened to him. Meanwhile, I popped into an open mic night two weeks ago and in three hours, I heard eight mediocre covers of his songs and four songs that he has covered that were credited as "here's a Tyler Childers song." Not that I'm upset that he's successful or that I don't like him anymore, it just gets tedious from a musician's standpoint. I like Skynyrd too, but that doesn't mean I'm filled with joy every time someone says, "hey, play Simple Man."

Kinda surprised you didn't tell us about your favorite IPA .  

On 10/4/2019 at 11:16 PM, BigWinners said:

If Union can't clean up the personal fouls and extra curricular stuff on defense, they are gonna keep having these issues. Three Tiger drives extended by silly penalties, two led to TDs and the third looked like a Paintsville TD until they fumbled. One call was extremely iffy, an unsportsmanlike call on a DB who clapped, but the others were cut and dry. I don't understand it, if this was the first time it would be one thing but it's been an issue for the season. A call last week extended a GC TD drive and tonight they were just killers. I question a few coaching things, schematic wise, but it was mental mistakes that cost the Bears tonight and Paintsville made them pay.

Union had their chances, but Paintsville was a very good team and you don't beat good teams making so many mistakes. Tigers were huge up front, especially on defense, having three kids likely over three bills and they had explosive athletes at the skill positions. But Union was able to move the ball, just couldn't finish and couldn't get off the field on defense.

And a very, very tough injury tonight. One of my absolute favorite players to watch, he is the epitome of a football player and he will be sorely missed. 

Was the penalty in the end zone really because the kid was clapping because I was near the play and he wasn't doing anything toward the Paintsville kid he was just clapping because he defended the pass

On 10/4/2019 at 11:16 PM, BigWinners said:

Union had their chances, but Paintsville was a very good team and you don't beat good teams making so many mistakes. 

Feel your pain buddy! GMen had too many mistakes against Bluefield and Union. Luckily, the abundance of penalties in Princeton game didn’t cost us because they aren’t good. GMen really need to clean up things especially before Richlands and playoffs. Good luck Friday Night!  

5 hours ago, goose111874 said:

Was the penalty in the end zone really because the kid was clapping because I was near the play and he wasn't doing anything toward the Paintsville kid he was just clapping because he defended the pass

that's what I was told. That was the iffy call I was referring.

On 10/6/2019 at 5:58 PM, goose111874 said:

Yes. 
He clapped at the receiver twice, then turned around and clapped towards his team and said “let’s go!” And the flag was thrown then. He is a close friend of mine and told me this Saturday when I asked about it. 

Someone who watched the film said to me that Union was simply caught retaliating a lot. This isn't someone who would sugarcoat anything, he also.said PVille whipped Union up front for large stretches of the game and that Union really struggled once PVille adjusted and started sending their LBs on the edge to stop the sweep game. 

4 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

I had no clue they filmed this. If anyone, that didn't see it live, watches this, give us your take.

worst ref crew ever, not only the punch that LESTER took right in front of me but the UNSPORTSMANSHIP call on number 10 for clapping. The refs were terrible for both teams, but we were just  outplayed and did not deserve the win

4 minutes ago, jarhead24219 said:

worst ref crew ever, not only the punch that LESTER took right in front of me but the UNSPORTSMANSHIP call on number 10 for clapping. The refs were terrible for both teams, but we were just  outplayed and did not deserve the win

Any clue where the refs were from? I didn't recognize a single one when they announced their names.

2:26:30  I know it was unsportsmanlike call .  What happened? cant see on film. Just two players Jawing at each other?

2:30:22 is that just from 10 clapping?

2:47:20 is another if folks want to see penalties.  Havent got to watch whole game yet

1 hour ago, RichRich said:

2:26:30  I know it was unsportsmanlike call .  What happened? cant see on film. Just two players Jawing at each other?

2:30:22 is that just from 10 clapping?

2:47:20 is another if folks want to see penalties.  Havent got to watch whole game yet

2:26 was regarding #2 for Union. He and his Paintsville counterpart, #2 also I think, were going at it all night. I think that particular instance went past jawing. Based on his reactions throughout the night, I feel very strongly that derogatory comments were being made to him.

And 2:30 was definitely the clapping. Had he clapped while walking towards the Union sideline,  it would have most likely not been called. The fact he did it while directly following the Tiger player, in front of the ref nonetheless, it's going to get called more often than not.

Lester took a right and left cross from number 2 , he did nothing except tell him he hit like a little girl, no 10 did not deserve that call for clapping. It should be noted that the same ref made the last 4 calls against Union , the linesman and the Paintsville ball boy (asst coach) knew the linesman by his first name and he coached and called defense formation to their offense while standing next to the yardmarker. We were outplayed but those refs sucked for both teams , terrible control of the game and no 2 should have been ejected from the game

1 hour ago, HaloSports2 said:

its hard to tell on film, but the white hat appears to be somoene who i'm pretty sure is from clintwood

The white hat is not from Clintwood. He had been out of officiating for a year or two and I didnt know he was back after it.  Glad to see him out there again as I enjoyed working with him once in a state semifinal game a few years ago when he was an umpire.

For what it's worth, the video coverage is spectacular for a high school game. Believe it or not, as an association, we can not always get film from coaches when we ask for it to review our performance during games. If more schools did this, you'd see the level of officiating definitely improve. 

Disclaimer: I am not familiar with any of this crew and I was not a part of this crew. I was in Saltville. Here's something to ponder on. Every time we take the field on a Friday in the regular season, we have 5 sets of eyes watching 22 players, plus benches, coaches, parents, volunteers, and the clock. The perfect game has not been officiated yet at any level. We get one look at everything from field level and it is expected to be called perfectly and most of the time, the biggest critics do not have a clue of the actual rule they're questioning. I know I miss something EVERY game. So please, do not assign blame to any official, 99% of us do the best job we can for the game we are assigned. If anyone thinks they are more qualified, just let me know and I will let you know how to get on the field and help us out next season. 

1 hour ago, chipinbogey said:

For what it's worth, the video coverage is spectacular for a high school game. Believe it or not, as an association, we can not always get film from coaches when we ask for it to review our performance during games. If more schools did this, you'd see the level of officiating definitely improve. 

Disclaimer: I am not familiar with any of this crew and I was not a part of this crew. I was in Saltville. Here's something to ponder on. Every time we take the field on a Friday in the regular season, we have 5 sets of eyes watching 22 players, plus benches, coaches, parents, volunteers, and the clock. The perfect game has not been officiated yet at any level. We get one look at everything from field level and it is expected to be called perfectly and most of the time, the biggest critics do not have a clue of the actual rule they're questioning. I know I miss something EVERY game. So please, do not assign blame to any official, 99% of us do the best job we can for the game we are assigned. If anyone thinks they are more qualified, just let me know and I will let you know how to get on the field and help us out next season. 

Now, why do you have to bring logic, reason and valid points into this? I would like to just be able to yell at you without a guilty conscience. haha

In all seriousness, even though the officials are a sports fan's public enemy(s) #1, I certainly wouldn't want to do it and don't think I could do it better. It is a tough, thankless job and I am appreciative of those that do tolerate the hardships involved to allow us to watch this game of football.

10 hours ago, chipinbogey said:

This stuff always cracks me up. Officials are highly compensated and most of the games they officiate aren’t close. God forbid anyone ask a trained official that’s making in excess of $25/hr to properly know the rules. Give me a break....

1 hour ago, Burrell’s Pearls said:

This stuff always cracks me up. Officials are highly compensated and most of the games they officiate aren’t close. God forbid anyone ask a trained official that’s making in excess of $25/hr to properly know the rules. Give me a break....

Highly compensated huh? Are you taking into account travel expenses, time away from our day jobs and families, association fees, uniforms? It all adds up. I’ve accepted the criticism, harsh comments and wacky schedule from day 1 and embrace it for what it is. We do it because we love the game. The rule book reads like a legal document. Some work harder than others to grasp it and in the heat of the moment, we’re asked to recall something in our brain verbatim. Even the D-1 guys get tangled up, so give us the break instead.