Paintsville @ Union

CriticalNoise

50 minutes ago, chipinbogey said:

Highly compensated huh? Are you taking into account travel expenses, time away from our day jobs and families, association fees, uniforms? It all adds up. I’ve accepted the criticism, harsh comments and wacky schedule from day 1 and embrace it for what it is. We do it because we love the game. The rule book reads like a legal document. Some work harder than others to grasp it and in the heat of the moment, we’re asked to recall something in our brain verbatim. Even the D-1 guys get tangled up, so give us the break instead. 

Does any work get compensated for travel time or time away from their family? How about the materials they need to work with? So, yes making $75-$80 for 2.5 hours of work in SWVA is good money. 

Per hour officials make more than anyone else associated with a high school game. How about comparing your pay per hour with a coach, cheerleading sponsor, clock operator, any newspaper covering the game or the radio people. This poor official bit has gotten really old and our local association runs it in the ground. 

27 minutes ago, Burrell’s Pearls said:

Per hour officials make more than anyone else associated with a high school game. How about comparing your pay per hour with a coach, cheerleading sponsor, clock operator, any newspaper covering the game or the radio people. This poor official bit has gotten really old and our local association runs it in the ground. 

For good reason too. Coaches don’t have to retain all of the rules like we do. We get asked every game by them about a ruling, or a clarification. We have to do this while being yelled at while being screamed at by the very coach you are trying to help.

We’re also ultimately responsible for the safety of the players at all times when on the field. In today’s litigious society, we are accepting a lot of risk if the worst happens and are at fault. I understand we get what seems to be an absolute astronomical amount to you, but based on your comments, you have absolutely no idea the time commitment involved that we do not get paid for and we get that fee once a week. It’s not every day. This isn’t just a local issue either. There’s a national shortage of us. That’s means we are in demand. If numbers around here do not improve over the next 10 years, we simply will not have enough to cover our area games.

A simple solution would be to expand to 7 man crews so that we can have more eyes on the field. Guess why we can’t? What’s your solution? If the money is so great, come on out and join us please. We’d love to have you. 

FWIW, at my day job I do get mileage, and a clothing allowance. The time away from my family is expected, but still compensated for fairly. 

40 minutes ago, chipinbogey said:

For good reason too. Coaches don’t have to retain all of the rules like we do. We get asked every game by them about a ruling, or a clarification. We have to do this while being yelled at while being screamed at by the very coach you are trying to help.

We’re also ultimately responsible for the safety of the players at all times when on the field. In today’s litigious society, we are accepting a lot of risk if the worst happens and are at fault. I understand we get what seems to be an absolute astronomical amount to you, but based on your comments, you have absolutely no idea the time commitment involved that we do not get paid for and we get that fee once a week. It’s not every day. This isn’t just a local issue either. There’s a national shortage of us. That’s means we are in demand. If numbers around here do not improve over the next 10 years, we simply will not have enough to cover our area games.

A simple solution would be to expand to 7 man crews so that we can have more eyes on the field. Guess why we can’t? What’s your solution? If the money is so great, come on out and join us please. We’d love to have you. 

FWIW, at my day job I do get mileage, and a clothing allowance. The time away from my family is expected, but still compensated for fairly. 

Thank you for all that you do. Also 1inStripes. I know he isn't reffing right now, but the two of you do the Lord's work on gamenights/days. I can't imagine the abuse you get from every school you go to -- be it fans or players or coaches. And you don't get enough thanks and praise. 

So don't listen to him. He's clearly ignorant on the subject and just doesn't get it. Thanks for what you do to help us have this amazing thing to go to and talk about all week. 

3 hours ago, Burrell’s Pearls said:

This stuff always cracks me up. Officials are highly compensated and most of the games they officiate aren’t close. God forbid anyone ask a trained official that’s making in excess of $25/hr to properly know the rules. Give me a break....

1 hour ago, Burrell’s Pearls said:

Does any work get compensated for travel time or time away from their family? How about the materials they need to work with? So, yes making $75-$80 for 2.5 hours of work in SWVA is good money. 

1 hour ago, Burrell’s Pearls said:

Legitimately one of the most trash takes I've ever seen. These guys don't get paid enough for what they do. Maybe one day they'll go away and you can't go watch high school sports at all and you'll wish you had been a little nicer behind a keyboard.

To say that officials are highly compensated is laughable to me.  When I was an official, there were several times that I would leave my house at 3:00 and not return until after midnight. Most schools were nice enough to feed us, but there were some that didn't.  On the nights that we didn't get fed, of course we had to stop and get something to eat on the way home.  Add to that the cost of gas to and from a game that was sometimes a two hour drive, one way.  Oh I almost forgot the verbal abuse that is lashed out at you during, sometimes before and after, the game.  Most people have no clue what goes into being an official.  All you see is what happens on the field on Friday night.  

The pay isnt good enough to entice more people to work I will say that.  You get paid more to run the clock in NET than you are paid to work on the field in SWVA.   I do know its tough on some schools to pay officials also.  Especially if they do not have large crowds as there are plenty of expenses to cover.  We have good officials.  We have bad officials.  Most are there trying to get better.  That being said about $25 an hour just doesnt know what all is involved.  Lets say the game starts at 7.  You should be on the clock so to speak at 5:30, as an hour and a half before the game you should arrive on site so that is one less concern for the schools administration.  On average a game will not finish until 9:30, but then you will want to discuss any questions/concerns post game also.  Getting out at 10 is about as early as you will begin to head home.  So, lets say you are on the job for 4.5 hours to be accurate for what schools are expecting of you. so to be accurate, sure 18.89 is what officials make per hour while "ON THE CLOCK".   Slightly above what a growing portion of the country wants McDonalds employees to make.  As was mentioned above, some places do a great job of taking care of officials ( I miss Appalachia, no one was better at that than Carol Sabotes).  Some not so much, as water is all we ask them to obligate for those working games, and I have been places where that hasn't taken place before but its very rare.  The AOA is the largest geographic association in VA I am pretty sure as well.  I like going to different schools but certain trips definitely do not leave you very profitable in this vocation. 

Most crews are very good, yes they miss calls we all see but there are a couple of thousand sets of eyes with different vantage points. There are very few times I yelled foul at the refs, last week , Letcher Central,and Clarke county. When I say that last weeks crew was the worst for both schools , I was saying even Letcher County was better, they couldn’t even spot the ball or wind the clock right

So officials are now stating publicly they should receive more pay for hour than coaches? Even better, others are defending them? What a wacky world. $18+ an hour for that bunch last week to not even know where to mark the ball on a kickoff out of bounds.... As Archie Bunker used to say Good Night Nurse

32 minutes ago, Burrell’s Pearls said:

So officials are now stating publicly they should receive more pay for hour than coaches? Even better, others are defending them? What a wacky world. $18+ an hour for that bunch last week to not even know where to mark the ball on a kickoff out of bounds.... As Archie Bunker used to say Good Night Nurse

Did any official make a single comment about what coaches are paid?  I dont believe so.  Many coaches deserve much more than they make, just like teachers.  Also, some make much more than they deserve.    Its the same with officiating.  I cant stand those who just go out there to make a check.  One reason I did not officiate this year is because I didnt prepare for it like I had the previous 18 seasons.  The fire wasnt there and although I would still be an asset, if my heart and mind isnt fully in it, the kids deserve more than that and I wont make money off of kids if I cant give them 100%.

Sadly we are coming to an impasse to where we lose too many officials, mainly due to age/health than we have signing up to work and games will be relegated to fewer officials at higher pay and/or games being spread out over Thursday, Friday and Saturdays in order to even be played due to a lack of officials.  The latter part needs to happen already to be honest so we dont have to use every single person who signs up to work each week no matter if they are ready or not. Last week was a concern to get filled before the season even started. 

Two weeks before every official who had not marked off that Friday from working was on a field somewhere.  Many were not ready to be.  There probably should have been at least 3 highly qualified people work that week that marked off after poorly handled situation took place in the middle of the week, and I support their reason for it.  

It is what it is.  

16 hours ago, chipinbogey said:

Here you go 1inStripes. Refs should be paid more than coaches. 

8 hours ago, Burrell’s Pearls said:

Here you go 1inStripes. Refs should be paid more than coaches. 

I like how you quote only the part to support your argument and take my statement completely out of context. I truly hope you enjoyed whatever game you attended tonight, and the officiating was up to your high standards. See 1instripes replies above because I could not say it any better. 

But just for craps and laughs, I kept up for my compensation for you tonight. I left my job on the southern end of our territory at 4:00, and I arrived on site at around 6:20. As a crew, we had a pregame discussion and dressed to be on the field at 7:00 for a 7:30 kick. We were off the field at 9:38, and I got in my vehicle, at 10:01. By the time I made into traffic it was 10:10. I made one stop for a cup of coffee and arrived at my home at 12:06. We’ll call it 8 hours. So that’s $10 an hour roughly. Now take into account I spent $30 on fuel, and $6.83 at a Subway on the way to eat something semi-healthy. Luckily the site I was at takes very good care of officials and we could have anything we wanted at halftime from the concession stand. However, with the nature of the job, I chose not to partake and only have 2 bottles of water. So I’m at $44.17, after what most would consider necessary expenses to perform my duties, I’m at $5.52 an hour. 

I’m not complaining because I love what I do. The atmosphere, the players, the coaches, and the guys I work with week in and week out. I am just trying to make you see the vast majority of us are not in it for the money, but to go back to your original statement that we’re overpaid is the most disrespectful thing I’ve ever had said to me in my brief time as an official. 

I am finished with this discussion as I get to have roughly 4 hours of sleep (after I wait for my washing machine to cycle so I can put my gear in the dryer) before I am up and on the road to a college site I report to for a 1:00 kickoff tomorrow a couple of area codes away.