Chilhowie at Virginia High

Smythcounty

This is always an interesting matchup. I’m figuring it can go either way. The Bearcats seem to be off to a rough start. The Warriors can’t seem to get their first half game together just yet. 

21-14 Warriors. 

Depends on what Virginia  high  team shows up to be honest. If they play like they did in Wise it could be close most of the game. I really liked it when they used Thomas  at QB with Delaney  at RB, it gave their offense some explosiveness until Central  figured it out and Virginia  High failed to adjust. I think Chilhowie  wins by 3 tds in the end. 

14 hours ago, Pioneer pride said:

Depends on what Virginia  high  team shows up to be honest. If they play like they did in Wise it could be close most of the game. I really liked it when they used Thomas  at QB with Delaney  at RB, it gave their offense some explosiveness until Central  figured it out and Virginia  High failed to adjust. I think Chilhowie  wins by 3 tds in the end. 

What was your prediction for the central - va high game?

8 hours ago, FoxTrot said:

What was your prediction for the central - va high game?

At the time Central by as much as they wanted. Honestly  Central didn't show up for that game, Virginia  High did. When Central  decided to wake up they scored 3 tds in a row to win the game. As long as Chilhowie  shows up like they are capable  of they will be fine.  It's not the same Virginia  High  team from the past couple of years, this game will be a struggle  for them. Chilhowie's speed will really hurt them. 

13 hours ago, Pioneer pride said:

At the time Central by as much as they wanted. Honestly  Central didn't show up for that game, Virginia  High did. When Central  decided to wake up they scored 3 tds in a row to win the game. As long as Chilhowie  shows up like they are capable  of they will be fine.  It's not the same Virginia  High  team from the past couple of years, this game will be a struggle  for them. Chilhowie's speed will really hurt them. 

Thanks for knowledge of VA High!

Chilhowie pulls away at the end. The speed and overall line play of chilhowie will be the difference maker in this one. Plus chilhowie has a winning culture right now that gives them 7 points before the game even starts.

19 hours ago, Jags52 said:

Chilhowie pulls away at the end. The speed and overall line play of chilhowie will be the difference maker in this one. Plus chilhowie has a winning culture right now that gives them 7 points before the game even starts.

I'd be surprised  if Va High  kept close longer than a quarter. They caught Central  on a night that they weren't  ready to play, Chilhowie  will be from the start. 

1 hour ago, swvafbrespect said:

Just thinking this one might be a surprise to the people posting.

I highly doubt it, I've seen Va high on multiple  occasions, they've improved  some since Tazwell  but not enough  to be competitive  in this one. They have major problems  containing  speed. 

15 hours ago, FoxTrot said:

You said it. “Winning Culture” and VA High football definitely don’t go together. 

VA High is would be a hard job IMO for a few reasons. First there is a lot more to do in Bristol than Chilhowie. Kids have other options and just don’t come out. In a town like Chilhowie that prides themselves of community support and kids want to play on the same field that big brother and dad and granddad did that makes a did difference as far as numbers go. Plus just not much to do. Second, it has to be hard to build a program when your sport plays second fiddle to a power house program that is sending kids to college. Why play football and get hurt when I can get my school paid for and play baseball. I don’t agree with it but VA High is not the only victim in this. Just look at Lebanon (baseball) and Gate City (basketball). Coach Crist is a good coach and does the best he can with what he has to work with. He lost a ton of seniors and is having to rebuild. The playoffs are out of the question this year but they will get back soon.

19 hours ago, Jags52 said:

VA High is would be a hard job IMO for a few reasons. First there is a lot more to do in Bristol than Chilhowie. Kids have other options and just don’t come out. In a town like Chilhowie that prides themselves of community support and kids want to play on the same field that big brother and dad and granddad did that makes a did difference as far as numbers go. Plus just not much to do. Second, it has to be hard to build a program when your sport plays second fiddle to a power house program that is sending kids to college. Why play football and get hurt when I can get my school paid for and play baseball. I don’t agree with it but VA High is not the only victim in this. Just look at Lebanon (baseball) and Gate City (basketball). Coach Crist is a good coach and does the best he can with what he has to work with. He lost a ton of seniors and is having to rebuild. The playoffs are out of the question this year but they will get back soon.

I totally agree. If all of Lebanon's athletes  played from baseball and basketball  we would have a fairly  good team.  I don't agree with it , but when kids are getting full rides to play D1 or playing minors it's hard to argue. It was also a problem  at  JJ Kelly when I was in school there. The baseball program ruled  the school. It took a coach by the name of Kevin Saunders  to turn it around during the Shupe Era. 

I think lebanon will be more competitive  next year, right now they are just too young. Our 9th and 8th grade team on the other hand is 3-1 so far and has a lot of talent, we will see if that will translate down the road. 

3 hours ago, Pioneer pride said:

I totally agree. If all of Lebanon's athletes  played from baseball and basketball  we would have a fairly  good team.  I don't agree with it , but when kids are getting full rides to play D1 or playing minors it's hard to argue. It was also a problem  at  JJ Kelly when I was in school there. The baseball program ruled  the school. It took a coach by the name of Kevin Saunders  to turn it around during the Shupe Era. 

I think lebanon will be more competitive  next year, right now they are just too young. Our 9th and 8th grade team on the other hand is 3-1 so far and has a lot of talent, we will see if that will translate down the road. 

Specializing is killing all sports in this area honestly and the sad thing is that most of these kids that see one or two special talents do big things and they think they will follow never make it past high school ball. It’s the sad truth of college ball.