Who is your favorite MLB team and why?

RichlandsAlum

Rather than flood the chatbox further, I figured this might be a fun topic.  And I'm willing to go first.

My first allegiance was to the Los Angeles Dodgers, which I maintained from about the time I was five years old well into my thirties.  But the source of that was completely random. 

My family used to eat at the old Burger Chef chain quite a bit in my earliest years.  And they were among the first to pioneer meals marketed to kids that also featured some sort of premium giveaway.  Around the time I was five years old, I was really starting to master reading.  Coincidentally at that time the Funmeal tray at Burger Chef featured a set of pop out baseball cards for all Major League teams.  The first one I got was -- you guessed it -- the Dodgers.  I immediately memorized pretty much every detail I could get from that set about the Dodgers' starting lineup.  And since I knew more about them than any other franchise, they became "my" team.

Really aggravated my dad, who was a diehard Phillies fan and had intended to raise me as such.  Out of respect and affection for him I did follow Philadelphia with interest during my childhood, but I always bled Dodger blue.

When the Expos announced their move to Washington, I was initially excited because it meant I'd have more opportunities to see the Dodgers play live.  And that's exactly what I did in 2005.  But while I was at RFK for those games and others, I developed a genuine affection for the Nationals (as well as a strong sense that the franchise desperately needed some love at that point).  Based on that sentiment and the Dodgers' musical chairs approach to managers at the time, I went all in with Washington beginning in 2006.

I'm an ATL Braves Fan.  I've lived in metro ATL for over 30 years, however, I was an ATL Braves fan before moving to the area .   My parents were faithful Braves fans,  because of Ted Turner and his TBS station broadcasting the games and the signal reaching far and wide.

My parents came to visit and I got to take them to a Braves game in  Fulton County Stadium...good seats and they enjoyed seeing live the team they always watched on TV. 

The game I'll always remember, my company gave me two tickets to the 1992 NLCS Atlanta Braves vs. Pittsburgh Pirates Game 7... the famous Sid Bream SLIDE...the stadium erupting and the fans probably moving the Richter scale at that moment.  Also, remembering vividly looking out on the field and seeing Barry Bonds just slumping in the outfield.  The celebration outside of the stadium when walking out was just as wild as it had been in the stadium.

Looking forward to the playoff series with the Cards...GO Braves!!!

BTW, the temp here today....98...

Chicago Cubs since sometime around the spring/summer of 1984.  I was 9 years old that summer.  The Cubs put affiliates in Wytheville and Winston Salem around that time.  My uncle started taking my cousin and I a few times a week every summer until I graduated from high school in 1992.  Seeing guys like Joe Girardi, Damon Berryhill, Jerome Walton, Jamie Moyer, Derick May, Dave Martinez, Steve Trachsel, and Doug Glanville shaped my disappointment for the next 25 years!

My cousin and I would rush home from school every afternoon to watch the afternoon Cubs game on WGN and follow that up with the Braves on TBS.  I never bought into the Braves hype.  Probably because everyone else in the free world was a Braves fan.  At least it felt that way in my little world.  I was so excited when Wrigley installed lights in 1988.  I thought that meant I wouldn't have to suffer through Don Sutton and Skip Caray anymore.  Harry Caray was the greatest ever so, to hear him calling night baseball in Wrigley would be the greatest thing in the world.  It was pretty special but the neighborhood agreement in the areas surrounding Wrigley means the Cubs are limited to the number of night games they can play without special exemption from city council.  Which is usually reserved for the postseason.  

Cheers to 2016!!!!!  Thanks Joe Maddon.  You will always be a Cub!!!!!

Go Cubs Go

3 hours ago, sixcat said:

Chicago Cubs since sometime around the spring/summer of 1984.  I was 9 years old that summer.  The Cubs put affiliates in Wytheville and Winston Salem around that time.  My uncle started taking my cousin and I a few times a week every summer until I graduated from high school in 1992.  Seeing guys like Joe Girardi, Damon Berryhill, Jerome Walton, Jamie Moyer, Derick May, Dave Martinez, Steve Trachsel, and Doug Glanville shaped my disappointment for the next 25 years!

My cousin and I would rush home from school every afternoon to watch the afternoon Cubs game on WGN and follow that up with the Braves on TBS.  I never bought into the Braves hype.  Probably because everyone else in the free world was a Braves fan.  At least it felt that way in my little world.  I was so excited when Wrigley installed lights in 1988.  I thought that meant I wouldn't have to suffer through Don Sutton and Skip Caray anymore.  Harry Caray was the greatest ever so, to hear him calling night baseball in Wrigley would be the greatest thing in the world.  It was pretty special but the neighborhood agreement in the areas surrounding Wrigley means the Cubs are limited to the number of night games they can play without special exemption from city council.  Which is usually reserved for the postseason.  

Cheers to 2016!!!!!  Thanks Joe Maddon.  You will always be a Cub!!!!!

Go Cubs Go

This exemplifies every single reason why I am also a Cubs fan.  Only thing I can add is the Cubs wear red, white and blue...