Backyard Brawl 2019 Edition

Ryan4VT

I’ve attached a not too recent sports page from the October 3, 1953, edition of the Bristol Herald Courier.  Articles on Richlands beating Tazewell,  St. Charles whipping Gate City and Saltville stunning Graham.  I’ve not yet looked thru all the papers from earlier in that week, but I’ll post Bulldog52’s pregame complaint as soon as I find the letters to the editor.

C2515FD0-2B90-499E-A046-6035785FD98F.jpeg

1 hour ago, Bulldog05 said:

I thought about saying that, but figured I’d keep my mouth shut considering how my team is. Graham will smoke Richlands I’m sure just like they did us. 😂

45??? What’s your wager. Cause I’m taking Richlands +45 all day. You name the bet lol. 

7 hours ago, Bulldog05 said:

I thought about saying that, but figured I’d keep my mouth shut considering how my team is. Graham will smoke Richlands I’m sure just like they did us. 😂

If GMen don't clean up the penalties, find some discipline, and figure out to stop Rivhlands' new found running game, the only smoking on the 25th will be those with a nicotine addiction. If GMen play like they did end of season & playoffs last year, bring their A game, they win but I don't think it's a blowout by any means. 

11 hours ago, parsons said:

I’ve attached a not too recent sports page from the October 3, 1953, edition of the Bristol Herald Courier.  Articles on Richlands beating Tazewell,  St. Charles whipping Gate City and Saltville stunning Graham.  I’ve not yet looked thru all the papers from earlier in that week, but I’ll post Bulldog52’s pregame complaint as soon as I find the letters to the editor.

C2515FD0-2B90-499E-A046-6035785FD98F.jpeg

Since this thread is called “ the backyard brawl “ these newest posts are much better.  I wasn’t interested , when it concerned the north , and south concession stands of Honaker high school.   It would be easier to call it  “ the one end where the good hot dogs are at and the end where the hotdogs are nasty.  It would be easier for the ones following who are not familiar with geography and compasses. However the recent content on this thread is much more becoming of this great rivalry.  

Blues by 24.  

Tazewell, do you depend on Graham to do everything for you? 

Princeton hurt our kids, please big brother G-Man, get them back for us!

The big bad Blues beat us again but it's ok, big brother G-Man will get them for us!

Someone posted on the board and it made us mad! It's ok, we have a big brother G-Man here to protect us!

Will the G-Man be building the Holiday Inn on Main Street as well?

11 minutes ago, cityofRaven said:

Tazewell, do you depend on Graham to do everything for you? 

Princeton hurt our kids, please big brother G-Man, get them back for us!

The big bad Blues beat us again but it's ok, big brother G-Man will get them for us!

Someone posted on the board and it made us mad! It's ok, we have a big brother G-Man here to protect us!

Will the G-Man be building the Holiday Inn on Main Street as well?

“The G-Man” has a Hammer, but not the kind of hammer that builds hotels.  “The G-Men” are the team that has 3 straight wins over you and haven’t lost 4 state championship games.  I know it’s difficult for an ex-pat to keep these things straight sometimes.

2 hours ago, parsons said:

Nice article— and if Tazewell beats Richlands by an average 47 points for the next 10 years ... they will still trail Richlands in total points scored in the series.

No one’s talking to you, Bluefield (WV or VA)

It was a nice article. I wondered where you got the idea from?

59 minutes ago, cityofRaven said:

^ Point proven.

Tazewell actually has a better winning percentage in its state championship game appearances than either Graham (3-1) or Richlands (2-4).  

Richlands has also needed a 26-3 run since 1991 just to pull ahead 41-51-2 in the all-time series.  Put another way, Tazewell has spotted the Big Wind nearly 30 years in the rivalry, and Richlands’s winning percentage is still just .553.

TO CANCEL YOUR SUBSCRIPTION TO BACKYARD BRAWL FACTS, PLEASE TEXT “STOP” TO 8675309.

8 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Tazewell actually has a better winning percentage in its state championship game appearances than either Graham (3-1) or Richlands (2-4).  

Richlands has also needed a 26-3 run since 1991 just to pull ahead 41-51-2 in the all-time series.  Put another way, Tazewell has spotted the Big Wind nearly 30 years in the rivalry, and Richlands’s winning percentage is still just .553.

TO CANCEL YOUR SUBSCRIPTION TO BACKYARD BRAWL FACTS, PLEASE TEXT “STOP” TO 8675309.

Jenny, Jenny is that you??? You don't know me but you make me so happy, I tried to call you before but I lost my nerve, I tried my imagination but I was disturbed. - Tommy

10 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

I'm trying to figure you out, are you all Bulldog or all G-Man??? Or is it that you can't stand Richlands that much? 

And you're saying that because Tazewell has only been to 1 state championship and won that they are the superior County team?  Hell, Pocahontas has never lost a state championship game, let us hoist them up as our greatest football asset!

With that mindset, you @UVAObserver are the best football player this county has ever seen! You never missed a tackle and or block, never was called for a penalty, never dropped a game winning pass all because you never played a down. 

I get it, you're an attorney and have to protect those who can't defend themselves but we all know that you're no Bulldog. 

Please, show me on this doll where the Blue Tornado hurt you? 

5 minutes ago, parsons said:

Wait. Was UVAObserver trying to annoy Tornado fans by reminding us that we’ve owned Tazewell for almost a third of a century?  Counting the number of eating establishments in each town would have caused a hell of a lot more pain.

I think he was just likes living in the 80's, you know, the last decade he was athletic. 

54 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Facts, you say? What more facts do you want to cite on this rivalry?

4 hours ago, EH31 said:

Thanks EH31 for sharing this.  Cokie Kitts was a relative.  He had offers from Notre Dame and Tennesse when he graduated from Tazewell.  He went to Tennessee, but his scholly was pulled when he was found out to be married.  He then went on to play for Casto Ramsey at E & H and did well there until he was diagnosed with Bright's disease (kidneys).  Tragically he passed away when he was 29 years old.  

Wonderful wondeful person.  Matter of fact his great-grandson is now a student at Tazewell, Brent Anderson.  

2 minutes ago, tbgfan said:

Thanks EH31 for sharing this.  Cokie Kitts was a relative.  He had offers from Notre Dame and Tennesse when he graduated from Tazewell.  He went to Tennessee, but his scholly was pulled when he was found out to be married.  He then went on to play for Casto Ramsey at E & H and did well there until he was diagnosed with Bright's disease (kidneys).  Tragically he passed away when he was 29 years old.  

Wonderful wondeful person.  Matter of fact his great-grandson is now a student at Tazewell, Brent Anderson.  

Pretty interesting. Brent is a great kid!!!

37 minutes ago, parsons said:

Wait. Was UVAObserver trying to annoy Tornado fans by reminding us that we’ve owned Tazewell for almost a third of a century?  Counting the number of eating establishments in each town would have caused a hell of a lot more pain.

Considering Richlands lost two of the best places to eat, I'd say this is about even now if maybe not the advantage going to T Town