Backyard Brawl 2019 Edition

Ryan4VT

5 minutes ago, stu_bean said:

Considering Richlands lost two of the best places to eat, I'd say this is about even now if maybe not the advantage going to T Town

Maybe if Bearded Moose had paid his taxes he'd still be in business and the tax revenue could have boosted our recruitment budget. 

Just now, cityofRaven said:

Maybe if Bearded Moose had paid his taxes he'd still be in business and the tax revenue could have boosted our recruitment budget. 

I heard that it was due to divorce and liquidation of assets.  May tied together on that.

Wish it and the the Kone were still open.  Nobody beat those hotdogs.

Just now, stu_bean said:

I heard that it was due to divorce and liquidation of assets.  May tied together on that.

Wish it and the the Kone were still open.  Nobody beat those hotdogs.

I miss the Kone as well. The Moose on the other hand, good riddance. 

55 minutes ago, rvtne216 said:

Facts, you say? What more facts do you want to cite on this rivalry?

Future colleague, you will learn two things.  One, by presenting the most negative fact yourself (26-3 Richlands since 1991), you weaken the impact it would have if opposing counsel had introduced it first.  Two, virtually anything objective can be turned and twisted to argue that which you want to argue.  😉

Just now, UVAObserver said:

Peking > Red Flower and I will lay down my life on that hill.

If you are referring to that atrocity in Wytheville 🤢

Red Flower is best Chinese anywhere and Peking in Wytheville is still below Tray Ting in town.

8 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

Once you've had Peking, you'll never want Red Flower again. There aren't too many reasons to go to Grundy but that's one. 

I just first heard about it last week. I must try this wonder that you speak of...

Where is it located?

5 minutes ago, stu_bean said:

I just first heard about it last week. I must try this wonder that you speak of...

Where is it located?

On the left in the big shopping center after you leave Vansant but not quite in Grundy proper.  A few law firms had made that plaza a home through the years.

3 hours ago, tbgfan said:

Thanks EH31 for sharing this.  Cokie Kitts was a relative.  He had offers from Notre Dame and Tennesse when he graduated from Tazewell.  He went to Tennessee, but his scholly was pulled when he was found out to be married.  He then went on to play for Casto Ramsey at E & H and did well there until he was diagnosed with Bright's disease (kidneys).  Tragically he passed away when he was 29 years old.  

Wonderful wondeful person.  Matter of fact his great-grandson is now a student at Tazewell, Brent Anderson.  

You’re welcome! Thanks for the story about Cokie! I had not known any of that before hand.

3 hours ago, tbgfan said:

Thanks EH31 for sharing this.  Cokie Kitts was a relative.  He had offers from Notre Dame and Tennesse when he graduated from Tazewell.  He went to Tennessee, but his scholly was pulled when he was found out to be married.  He then went on to play for Casto Ramsey at E & H and did well there until he was diagnosed with Bright's disease (kidneys).  Tragically he passed away when he was 29 years old.  

Wonderful wondeful person.  Matter of fact his great-grandson is now a student at Tazewell, Brent Anderson.  

You’re welcome! Thanks for the story about Cokie! I had not known any of that before hand.

5 hours ago, tbgfan said:

Coincidentally, Jack Hawks just passed away fairly recently.  Fine gentleman who is certainly missed.

17 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Tazewell actually has a better winning percentage in its state championship game appearances than either Graham (3-1) or Richlands (2-4).  

Richlands has also needed a 26-3 run since 1991 just to pull ahead 41-51-2 in the all-time series.  Put another way, Tazewell has spotted the Big Wind nearly 30 years in the rivalry, and Richlands’s winning percentage is still just .553.

TO CANCEL YOUR SUBSCRIPTION TO BACKYARD BRAWL FACTS, PLEASE TEXT “STOP” TO 8675309.

Graham has four state championships in football. 1962, 1989, 1995, 2018

27 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

Yeah but wasn’t the 62 one awarded? As opposed to playing in a true title game?

The 1962 championship was earned, not awarded. Every game that year was a championship game. At least when playing a school from Virginia.

18 hours ago, tbgfan said:

My dad was a distant relative to Cokie as well. My mom was in the same graduating class as Cokie in high school. I've heard what a great player he was for a long time.