Backyard Brawl 2019 Edition

Ryan4VT

2 hours ago, Bluefield researcher said:

The 1962 championship was earned, not awarded. Every game that year was a championship game. At least when playing a school from Virginia.

Earned...awarded. It’s the same thing. Either way, they did not okay in a final state title game at the end of the season, so you can’t count it as a state title win. By your logic, we should say Graham is 12-1 in state title games or whatever the number of teams they beat that year was. 

9 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

Earned...awarded. It’s the same thing. Either way, they did not okay in a final state title game at the end of the season, so you can’t count it as a state title win. By your logic, we should say Graham is 12-1 in state title games or whatever the number of teams they beat that year was. 

The title was earned. Every regular season game mattered. If you lost one you were out. I think you know that I no not consider each game a title game else I would have them included in Graham's playoff totals. Graham is 3-1 in championship games. To say that they are 4-1 is not correct and a bit disingenuous. But to say the title was awarded also lessens the accomplishment and is a bit condescending on your part.

2 hours ago, Beeman5150 said:

My dad was a distant relative to Cokie as well. My mom was in the same graduating class as Cokie in high school. I've heard what a great player he was for a long time. 

I was young so I never got to see any of Cokie's games, but I always said if I had a son I was naming him after Cokie, and I did.

4 hours ago, tbgfan said:

I was young so I never got to see any of Cokie's games, but I always said if I had a son I was naming him after Cokie, and I did.

That's pretty cool!  My mom and dad said when Cokie played, they played the games down at the end of town where the little league fields are (for now). Dad grew up in Burkes Garden where several Kitts resided. He's since passed away but he used to talk about what a great player Cokie was and also what a great player John Rainey was back in the day. 

B6521334-BE10-4-CC1-9801-5650-DA49-E646.Richlands was clearly the better team so this pic isn’t to argue that - but look at what tough luck Tazewell has had so far this season. All these players were starters to begin the season. 

I wish Tazewell the best. I, for one root for them 8-9 games during the season. Unfortunately, that seems to be the difference between building a solid program and having a good core group.  At Richlands, we have been blessed with solid coaching, which has lead to good numbers and depth. I pray those young men recover quickly and hope eventually the Bulldogs will return to being consistently successful.  

38 minutes ago, EH31 said:

B6521334-BE10-4-CC1-9801-5650-DA49-E646.Richlands was clearly the better team so this pic isn’t to argue that - but look at what tough luck Tazewell has had so far this season. All these players were starters to begin the season. 

I know of 2 in those pics are out for the season. 

15 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

The improvement Richlands has made since Week 1 is remarkable.  That’s a team that has the potential to represent Region D in the postseason.  Well done once again Richlands.

I'm hoping Richlands doesn't end up on Unions side come playoff time. Even tho it would be in BSG, Blues are rolling.

1 hour ago, BigWinners said:

I'm hoping Richlands doesn't end up on Unions side come playoff time. Even tho it would be in BSG, Blues are rolling.

I said at the beginning of the year Richlands has the potential to be a good team. Theyre getting there. Mance is opening up the playbook more for Simmons. Again loved some of the play calling tonight. Finally using some play action. That jet sweep play action even faked me out.

2 hours ago, Westisthebest said:

Tazewell will still make the playoffs. Will they have any injured players back by then?

I highly doubt it.

M. Jones is out for the season

Chance Harris is out for the season

Isaiah Rife is out for the season 

Jojo (Josiah Jordan) Was just out due to ejection last week at Honaker

Lucas Honaker is out for the season, and all the other, we have I think 10 or 11 starters out and anyone correct me if I’m wrong but I’m pretty sure it’s for the season. The injury bug has hit us hard as it does every year. This season is not over yet, however I hope these guys are back and stay healthy next season and I think they’ll have another great year. Although I get on here and talk a bunch of crap I’m on here for fun and to talk a little bit. Lol. However, I will root for Graham and Richlands as long as they aren’t playing tazewell. Good luck to the blues and the G-Men on the remaining season.

Richlands sure looked a lot better than they did at the start of the season. I look for them to give Graham a real challenge. Tazewell not having all their players hurt but still not sure they could have pulled it off. Also Tazewell killed their self early on and all momentum lost. Again no excuse but would love to have seen the matchup with everyone there. 

7 hours ago, Westisthebest said:

I said at the beginning of the year Richlands has the potential to be a good team. Theyre getting there. Mance is opening up the playbook more for Simmons. Again loved some of the play calling tonight. Finally using some play action. That jet sweep play action even faked me out.

"Opening the playbook for Simmons" on early downs will get them beat just like it did against Gate City. Running the ball first to establish the pass is why Richlands has turned it around. If Richlands falls into the trap and a false sense of reality of success with early downs passing attempts, it will get beat soundly in the playoffs.

Running the ball changed Richlands season. Richlands needs to close the playbook on early downs, not open it. You can get away with the early downs passing on Tazewell and Lebanon and anything will work, but they will need the very effective running game to win in the playoffs. We will see what happens. Passing on early downs and second downs is in the DNA of Mance. He's largely resisted this since the Union game. If he continues and maintains control and resists trying to be Texas Tech or Wash St, then Richlands can actually win a state title. 

17 minutes ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

"Opening the playbook for Simmons" on early downs will get them beat just like it did against Gate City. Running the ball first to establish the pass is why Richlands has turned it around. If Richlands falls into the trap and a false sense of reality of success with early downs passing attempts, it will get beat soundly in the playoffs.

Running the ball changed Richlands season. Richlands needs to close the playbook on early downs, not open it. You can get away with the early downs passing on Tazewell and Lebanon and anything will work, but they will need the very effective running game to win in the playoffs. We will see what happens. Passing on early downs and second downs is in the DNA of Mance. He's largely resisted this since the Union game. If he continues and maintains control and resists trying to be Texas Tech or Wash St, then Richlands can actually win a state title. 

He passed the ball 9 times last night....it’s not like it’s McCracken or Asbury out there slinging it 30 times a game. I’m not 100% sure, but I can only recall 2 first down passing plays in the entire game. Opening the playbook for Simmons isn’t about passing early. It’s about giving him more options in the read option game and more RPO’s...along with a more complex route tree for when we do pass it. 

6 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

He passed the ball 9 times last night....it’s not like it’s McCracken or Asbury out there slinging it 30 times a game. I’m not 100% sure, but I can only recall 2 first down passing plays in the entire game. Opening the playbook for Simmons isn’t about passing early. It’s about giving him more options in the read option game and more RPO’s...along with a more complex route tree for when we do pass it. 

I read that at first as Asbury wasn't out there slinging it 30+ times and I was like WTF, Asbury was for sure out there throwing it out 30-40 times lol.

9 hours ago, stu_bean said:

Richlands sure looked a lot better than they did at the start of the season. I look for them to give Graham a real challenge. Tazewell not having all their players hurt but still not sure they could have pulled it off. Also Tazewell killed their self early on and all momentum lost. Again no excuse but would love to have seen the matchup with everyone there. 

I strongly believe if Tazewell would have had all of the kids they started with this could have been a lot closer game. I’m with you though, it’s not an excuse. Tazewell needs to learn that they can’t do the same thing over and over again especially with bigger teams. 

15 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

And passing the ball 9 times is perfect and about right.  Another win for Richlands.  McCracken and Asbury.  Huge difference in 9 times passing and 30 times passing, and yes, Asbury and McCracken were out there slinging it about 20 times per game, not 30, but 20 was common.  A game with only 15 attempts was a rare thing.  Regardless of what worked or didn't worked or whatever, it's clear that Richlands running game this year is good, and they are running it more than they have on early downs.  As for the RPO's on first downs?  Not your call or my call, but I would take away the pass option.  Just line up and run it on first down and keep being successful.   When your offensive line is far superior to most opponents defensive lines, it really can be as simple as that.  Line up and run it.  Ask Abingdon.....

10 hours ago, Bulldog05 said:

I strongly believe if Tazewell would have had all of the kids they started with this could have been a lot closer game. I’m with you though, it’s not an excuse. Tazewell needs to learn that they can’t do the same thing over and over again especially with bigger teams. 

I agree. Wouldve loved to seen Tazewell healthy. Feel bad for the kids. Hopefully theyre not seniors and will be back next year. They may get a home game in the playoffs. Would like to see them win one. Or heck maybe even two.

Simmons is a good qb.  He will be forced to throw the ball on early downs at some point this year.  Most of his passes don’t hit the ground. So it’s a good option. They obviously won’t run all over union on first down.   Been there.  10 first down ball carries.  2 1st down passes.   Obviously passing on first down hasn’t hurt them.  Couldn’t run the ball vs gate city.  Great play by Steele as of late and better line play has allowed to rush more on first down. Great recipe to get Webb a touch on the first series of last 3 or 4 games even if doubled.  Steele has adjusted to running the stretch plays well and is a load.  Don’t think Mance’s play calling hurt the blues.  Running on first down is always a good option till you run into a team that stops it.  His play calling hasn’t changed any.  The success at which the run/pass game is working usually determines the play call.