Ridgeview @ Union

swva_havok_fan

My two takeaways was:

1.  You just can't give a great team like Union a 26-3 lead and expect to win.  You just can't.

2.  Two second half red zone possessions, 0 points.  That's your ballgame.

After the third quarter blocked punt, why we did a jet sweep on third and long, and then went for it on fourth and long when we have a more than capable kicker and all the momentum riding our backs I will never know.  Still pisses me off.  But I'm not Mullins so what do I know?  Two plays later, Polier makes a house call from 88 yards.  Just mind blowing to me why we didn't take the points there.

7 minutes ago, jarhead24219 said:

Wonder if the corn pone progress will have a article on this one, seems like all they cover is Ridgeview and Central , the post didn’t have one word about last weeks game

I talked to Kelly after the game, so yes she was there.  You should be nicer to her... she does live in Appalachia after all.  Lol.

51 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

My two takeaways was:

1.  You just can't give a great team like Union a 26-3 lead and expect to win.  You just can't.

2.  Two second half red zone possessions, 0 points.  That's your ballgame.

After the third quarter blocked punt, why we did a jet sweep on third and long, and then went for it on fourth and long when we have a more than capable kicker and all the momentum riding our backs I will never know.  Still pisses me off.  But I'm not Mullins so what do I know?  Two plays later, Polier makes a house call from 88 yards.  Just mind blowing to me why we didn't take the points there.

Excuse you, it was 92 yards lol.

I know some are reporting it was 88 or 89, but Union was inside the 20.

Not down a bit on the kid.  Think he is the best  swva high school football player.  On the best team in swva.  He proved it last night.  Time will tell.  Go watch Emory or wise and you see talent and size on the field.   D1 is a whole new ball game.  He is not the athlete or player that mitchel was.  Cam. Allen was special.  Thomas and Julius were unreal. Houseright from gc. Another level.  This kid is good. Not great.  All those names I mentioned won state championships, except James.  If union wins state.  That helps his recruitment.   One thing for sure.  Travis turner is an excellent coach.  Be glad you have him and don’t heckle him as much as some of you guys do.  

2 hours ago, Bigdog said:

So you do not think he is D 1? 

We were told Thomas Jones even said the boy is D 1

I’m not sure if he is or isn’t. I sincerely hope he is. I do believe he could get on the field for a FCS school, possibly a smaller FBS like App State. 

But, do I expect him to get a scholarship offer? No, I don’t.

Thats not a knock on him. He’s one of the better all around players that we’ve had in the area in a while. The problem is that he’s more than halfway done with his senior year and doesn’t have any offers yet. In 2019 offers are earned at camps in your freshman, sophomore & junior years. Schools are looking at how fast, quick & strong you are in shorts and think that they can make you into a great football player. 

Polier is already a great player but his measurables aren’t exactly what a D1 coach is looking for.

Do I agree with that? Not necessarily, but I understand the thought process. 

Mason reminds me of Jake Lilly from Bluefield & Jamorya Cousin from graham. Those players were also true  football players who  dominated most games in this area but weren’t able to get to a D1 school, but had careers at the D2 level. 

Trenton is huge fast elusive and last night under used, I was like why can’t they tackle him...then he ran out of bounds near me and I was like... I wouldn’t tackle that freight train either. He should be fed the ball over and over , he got better and to be fair he may be a better/ back but Polier doesn’t come off the field. How old is Trenton now, like 16, jeeeeez he is just now starting to grow. T Jones was 17 too when he went to UVA and got his degree in 3 years . I hope Adkins stays close to home and goes to Va Tech , UVA or UT

46 minutes ago, EH31 said:

I’m not sure if he is or isn’t. I sincerely hope he is. I do believe he could get on the field for a FCS school, possibly a smaller FBS like App State. 

But, do I expect him to get a scholarship offer? No, I don’t.

Thats not a knock on him. He’s one of the better all around players that we’ve had in the area in a while. The problem is that he’s more than halfway done with his senior year and doesn’t have any offers yet. In 2019 offers are earned at camps in your freshman, sophomore & junior years. Schools are looking at how fast, quick & strong you are in shorts and think that they can make you into a great football player. 

Polier is already a great player but his measurables aren’t exactly what a D1 coach is looking for.

Do I agree with that? Not necessarily, but I understand the thought process. 

Mason reminds me of Jake Lilly from Bluefield & Jamorya Cousin from graham. Those players were also true  football players who  dominated most games in this area but weren’t able to get to a D1 school, but had careers at the D2 level. 

I think Cousin from Graham is a great comparison. 

Been reading some of this and wanted to chime in.  Polier is not in the same league and shouldn't be used in the same breath in statement when comparing him to Adkins at Running Back.  For anyone who thinks so, you can't possibly know much about talent at the next level  Adkins was running with 11 player knowing he was getting the ball and he still performed.  The kid is a freak of nature.  You could see the cuts, the hip strength and fast twitch, and his ability to make people miss.  For anyone who thinks those two are even close in comparison as a RB, you are wrong.  Now, as a overall High School Football player?  That's a whole other conversation.  Polier is a beast.  Defensively, he's light years ahead of Adkins.  Adkins is EXACTLY as he is ranked by the recruiting services at RB.  He's a major Power 5 Div 1 RB and he's a stud.  He will also start at the next level and do well.  

He was the Ridgeview offense. As for Polier, I think he ends up getting an offer from some Power 5 school at LB and he will end up starting for that team.  Sometimes, being an incredibly gifted football players can close the gap some on the athletic part of the equation.  This will be the case with Polier.

1 hour ago, big ugly vol said:

A good attitude means the world. Hard for a lot of kids to see that until they’re not kids anymore. 

College football seems to be a lot more tolerant of "not so stellar attitudes and sketchy character"  as other sports.....just sayin

16 minutes ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

Been reading some of this and wanted to chime in.  Polier is not in the same league and shouldn't be used in the same breath in statement when comparing him to Adkins at Running Back.  For anyone who thinks so, you can't possibly know much about talent at the next level  Adkins was running with 11 player knowing he was getting the ball and he still performed.  The kid is a freak of nature.  You could see the cuts, the hip strength and fast twitch, and his ability to make people miss.  For anyone who thinks those two are even close in comparison as a RB, you are wrong.  Now, as a overall High School Football player?  That's a whole other conversation.  Polier is a beast.  Defensively, he's light years ahead of Adkins.  Adkins is EXACTLY as he is ranked by the recruiting services at RB.  He's a major Power 5 Div 1 RB and he's a stud.  He will also start at the next level and do well.  

He was the Ridgeview offense. As for Polier, I think he ends up getting an offer from some Power 5 school at LB and he will end up starting for that team.  Sometimes, being an incredibly gifted football players can close the gap some on the athletic part of the equation.  This will be the case with Polier.

OK  not everyone was comparing Polier to Adkins.  2 different style of runner.  I was comparing Polier to Sproles who proved that he was better at the same position than Sproles.  As far as last night goes, Polier did have a better night than Adkins but again, Not comparing him to Adkins.  This is in no means a dig at Sproles who is good against lesser competion but that's not his fault its the coaches who refuse or are too scared to play better competion, but pound for pound and at the same position Polier is better. Polier's off season workouts have proven to have paid off and he SHOULD be the M7 DPOY and based off the level of competion should also be looked at as OPOY.  Adkins is GREAT and will be GREAT at the next level but his coaches are not doing him any favors with the play calling.  When it comes to M& all district team and POY honors, they need to look at stats from M7 games and not stats from the games played against teams like Honaker, Shelby Valley ect. because those are artificial numbers and are not a true reflection of how a kid plays vs similar competition,  If this is the basis they vote on the YES POLIER WINS BOTH DPOY and OPOY in the M7

14 minutes ago, Keepitreal said:

OK  not everyone was comparing Polier to Adkins.  2 different style of runner.  I was comparing Polier to Sproles who proved that he was better at the same position than Sproles.  As far as last night goes, Polier did have a better night than Adkins but again, Not comparing him to Adkins.  This is in no means a dig at Sproles who is good against lesser competion but that's not his fault its the coaches who refuse or are too scared to play better competion, but pound for pound and at the same position Polier is better. Polier's off season workouts have proven to have paid off and he SHOULD be the M7 DPOY and based off the level of competion should also be looked at as OPOY.  Adkins is GREAT and will be GREAT at the next level but his coaches are not doing him any favors with the play calling.  When it comes to M& all district team and POY honors, they need to look at stats from M7 games and not stats from the games played against teams like Honaker, Shelby Valley ect. because those are artificial numbers and are not a true reflection of how a kid plays vs similar competition,  If this is the basis they vote on the YES POLIER WINS BOTH DPOY and OPOY in the M7

I wouldn’t say that last night proved that Polier is better than Sproles at LB. It’s almost dead even in my opinion. Polier is faster and taller. But Sproles might be bigger and is playing behind a inferior defensive line to 43. But the difference between the two is that Polier is a difference maker on the other side of the ball, Sproles is not. DPOY honors is a coin flip and I wouldn’t be mad either way, but OPOY is clearly Adkins. However having said this, 43 is the best two way player in the conference and region.

12 minutes ago, UK2000 said:

I wouldn’t say that last night proved that Polier is better than Sproles at LB. It’s almost dead even in my opinion. Polier is faster and taller. But Sproles might be bigger and is playing behind a inferior defensive line to 43. But the difference between the two is that Polier is a difference maker on the other side of the ball, Sproles is not. DPOY honors is a coin flip and I wouldn’t be mad either way, but OPOY is clearly Adkins. However having said this, 43 is the best two way player in the conference and region.

Again I’m not saying is isn’t good. I’m saying if it’s based off M7 competition only then Polier wins hands down DPOY.  They all play the same M7 teams so the winner should be the one who beat the other.   If they want to take the other games into consideration then you can’t compare a team like Graham and Richlands to Honaker and Shelby Valley.   Polier preformed very well against those as well.  Heck Tiny Tim would have a monster night against Honaker.  Gotta compare apples to apples.  As far as Adkins goes he is good but again look at the level of competition.  He had 1400 yards against sub par teams.   Ridgeview has not played any REAL competition until last night.  They way I see it looking at Ridgeview remaining schedule, he will have 2 opportunities left to rack up his yards and that’s next week and last game of regular season.