Officiating question

Optimal62

Tonight at the Galax vs FC game. Galax ran a play that ended up being close enough to a first down to measure. Instead of moving the chains to midfield to measure. The official picked up the ball and carried it to the sideline to measure.  I have never seen this in all my years watching football. Has anyone else? 

45 minutes ago, Optimal62 said:

Tonight at the Galax vs FC game. Galax ran a play that ended up being close enough to a first down to measure. Instead of moving the chains to midfield to measure. The official picked up the ball and carried it to the sideline to measure.  I have never seen this in all my years watching football. Has anyone else? 

That's interesting. I also have a rule question thats always perplexed me. Why is it if a receiver toe drags near the sideline he is considered inbounds. But if his back is to the sideline and lands inbounds with his toes first then his heel is out of bounds its incomplete. Always thought they should change this.

10 hours ago, Optimal62 said:

The refs should never do that! The chains should be brought on to the field 

The refs have been bad everywhere this year, we had a punter catch the ball on 1 knee because of a low snap an they allowed the kick which was a good one, holding calls,  calling 1st downs without a measurement, a lot were just bad calls. If the VHSL pays them then they ought to do better.

9 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

I still can't figure out why personal fouls aren't automatic first downs.

Because the rule book says that only roughing the passer and kicker personal fouls are automatic first downs. Pass interference is also not an automatic first down in High School football.

20 minutes ago, Bluefield researcher said:

Because the rule book says that only roughing the passer and kicker personal fouls are automatic first downs. Pass interference is also not an automatic first down in High School football.

Yeah I knew the rules just always wondered why

On 10/11/2019 at 11:39 PM, Optimal62 said:

This is cringe worthy stuff. There's the right way to do things, and the wrong way. This is not the right way. 

The crew did something similar on two separate occasions.  The first, they walked the ball to the sideline for the measurement as described by the OP.  The second, the "white hat" attempted to walk a straight line from the nose of the football to the chains before signaling a first down.  As I said in the "Score Updates" thread Friday night, I don't bash officiating but this entire crew exhibiting nothing short of lazy behavior all night.  Never seen anything like it before.  It's one thing to put forth appropriate effort and make mistakes.  It's something completely different to make mistakes while putting forth absolutely no effort.  

20 hours ago, grandpaw trojan said:

The refs have been bad everywhere this year, we had a punter catch the ball on 1 knee because of a low snap an they allowed the kick which was a good one, holding calls,  calling 1st downs without a measurement, a lot were just bad calls. If the VHSL pays them then they ought to do better.

I don't think the vhsl pays the officials.

3 hours ago, Blues Man said:

I don't think the vhsl pays the officials.

2 hours ago, 95 Warrior said:

The VHSL does not pay officials until the State SemiFinal and Finals. Until that point regular season and playoff games are paid for by the host school.

then they are way over paid

1 minute ago, swva_havok_fan said:

I'm sure if you would have won the game, they would have been the best refs ever.

There were a couple doozy calls, headscratchers, but nothing out of the ordinary. Maybe 2-3 egregious calls/no-calls that a good crew fixes but it wasn't like a KY clown show or anything.

16 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

I'm sure if you would have won the game, they would have been the best refs ever.

No not really, watch the game that crew stunk it up for both teams. I can say this is the worst crew ever, no one knew them, when a line judge watches two punches thrown and there is no ejection????i know he seen it because he was the one who threw the flag