Unofficial 2C & D Points Week 7

Ryan4VT

10 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

If Union and Ridgeview both win out can Union out point Ridgeview because they would receive alot of points vs. Pikeville right?

I’d bet with a win over Pikeville, RV keeps the 1 seed. Not sure, but I’d bet that. 

4 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

I’d bet with a win over Pikeville, RV keeps the 1 seed. Not sure, but I’d bet that. 

Guess it doesn't matter much Union will end up playing Graham or Richlands 2nd round and I don't know who id rather play anyways seems like your team has improved alot since we've played

13 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

Guess it doesn't matter much Union will end up playing Graham or Richlands 2nd round and I don't know who id rather play anyways seems like your team has improved alot since we've played

The 2D 2nd round will be insane... some combo of Union/RV vs Richlands/Graham (barring some upset)

I guess Marion, Battle, VA High, Lee, and Lebanon should just pull a Bland and cancel their season since the don’t deserve to be in the playoffs.... I mean what’s the point of playing the rest of the games if making the playoffs as an 8 seed if they just don’t deserve to be there. Just throw in the towel and teach these kids that when things do go you way quit because they don’t deserve to even try. Most of those teams have a ton of injuries or had people quit. The coaches are doing there best with the cards they are have but all that hard work doesn’t deserve a playoff appearance. If you don’t like the product in the field don’t show up because I promise you the schools don’t need you $7 and the kids could care less they just want to play ball.. maybe next time the head coaching job comes open at your local high school put in for the job then maybe you can one of the poor pathetic sorry excuse for a football program around and if it you don’t like your playoff match up don’t get on the bus to go to ridgeview or big stone and see how far that gets you

2 minutes ago, Jags52 said:

I guess Marion, Battle, VA High, Lee, and Lebanon should just pull a Bland and cancel their season since the don’t deserve to be in the playoffs.... I mean what’s the point of playing the rest of the games if making the playoffs as an 8 seed if they just don’t deserve to be there. Just throw in the towel and teach these kids that when things do go you way quit because they don’t deserve to even try. Most of those teams have a ton of injuries or had people quit. The coaches are doing there best with the cards they are have but all that hard work doesn’t deserve a playoff appearance. If you don’t like the product in the field don’t show up because I promise you the schools don’t need you $7 and the kids could care less they just want to play ball.. maybe next time the head coaching job comes open at your local high school put in for the job then maybe you can one of the poor pathetic sorry excuse for a football program around and if it you don’t like your playoff match up don’t get on the bus to go to ridgeview or big stone and see how far that gets you

It's not that they don't deserve it but you do have to earn it.

1 minute ago, goose111874 said:

It's not that they don't deserve it but you do have to earn it.

Who ever gets that spot has earned it by winning enough games to get that last spot they would have done better than atleast 4 teams..

43 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

If Union and Ridgeview both win out can Union out point Ridgeview because they would receive alot of points vs. Pikeville right?

I'll go through scenarios after this Friday's games to know exactly. For now, if both finish 9-1 then all district games will cancel each other out, so points will come down to OOC opponents. 

Win wise, Honaker and Letcher will cancel each other out with the possibility that Union gets 2 more points due to Letcher being 3A.

Shelby Valley and Graham should cancel each other out. With possibly of 2 points extra if Shelby finishes 9-1. Going to assume an 8-2 Graham just because Union will get same points regardless of the Richlands/Graham winner. 

Richlands/Burton will cancel each other out with a slight edge to Burton. Possibly 4 pts.

Paintsville and Pikeville will cancel each other out because Ridgeview's loss to Union will be equal to Union's loss to Paintsville save 1 pt.

As of now I would give the edge to Ridgeview in a battle of 9-1 teams. A lot can happen though, and beating Pikeville is going to be a tough task.

9 minutes ago, Jags52 said:

Who ever gets that spot has earned it by winning enough games to get that last spot they would have done better than atleast 4 teams..

Yeah but you listed some teams who are probably combined 5-30

4 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

I'll go through scenarios after this Friday's games to know exactly. For now, if both finish 9-1 then all district games will cancel each other out, so points will come down to OOC opponents. 

Win wise, Honaker and Letcher will cancel each other out with the possibility that Union gets 2 more points due to Letcher being 3A.

Shelby Valley and Graham should cancel each other out. With possibly of 2 points extra if Shelby finishes 9-1. Going to assume an 8-2 Graham just because Union will get same points regardless of the Richlands/Graham winner. 

Richlands/Burton will cancel each other out with a slight edge to Burton. Possibly 4 pts.

Paintsville and Pikeville will cancel each other out because Ridgeview's loss to Union will be equal to Union's loss to Paintsville save 1 pt.

As of now I would give the edge to Ridgeview in a battle of 9-1 teams. A lot can happen though, and beating Pikeville is going to be a tough task.

I looked up both teams OOC opponents records and Unions are 15-12 and Ridgeview are 21-7 but I figured were all of Ridgeview are 1A it would hurt them a little

2 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

I looked up both teams OOC opponents records and Unions are 15-12 and Ridgeview are 21-7 but I figured were all of Ridgeview are 1A it would hurt them a little

Unfortunately not. A 2A team playing 1A teams yield 2A pts. Northside got 3A points for playing 1A Galax.

4 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

Unfortunately not. A 2A team playing 1A teams yield 2A pts. Northside got 3A points for playing 1A Galax.

Wow I did not know that.  So you would get more points for beating 1A Burton at 8-2 than play a 4A school who is 6-4

Just now, goose111874 said:

Wow I did not know that.  So you would get more points for beating 1A Burton at 8-2 than play a 4A school who is 6-4

Technically the same. 18 base pts + 16 rider pts = 34 for Burton

22 base pts + 12 rider pts = 34 for 4A team

19 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

Yeah but you listed some teams who are probably combined 5-30

I understand that but one of those teams has to get the last seed and they did earn that seed by beating the teams below them which is going to be the case for one of those teams it’s not like everyone gets in they earn a spot even if it is only with 3 or 4 wins

Just now, Jags52 said:

I understand that but one of those teams has to get the last seed and they did earn that seed by beating the teams below them which is going to be the case for one of those teams it’s not like everyone gets in they earn a spot even if it is only with 3 or 4 wins

I gotcha we were just assuming the top 4 teams will win first round (but maybe not) but if they do the 2nd round will be fun to watch.  Know one is saying 5-8 didn't earn it but it's hard to imagine a 1-4 losing to a 5-8

45 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

So what is the pint of playing tougher competition lol. I was sure that you got lower points for playing down. But you are on top of this stuff and I look for your posts to figure things out. Typical vhsl I guess haha. RV May stay ahead of us if this is the case with their 1a OOC. Bunch of crap lol. But if Pikeville throws like paintsville then they may be in trouble. They didn’t cover us very well. Tough task for them. 

16 minutes ago, Ol Dawg said:

So what is the pint of playing tougher competition lol. I was sure that you got lower points for playing down. But you are on top of this stuff and I look for your posts to figure things out. Typical vhsl I guess haha. RV May stay ahead of us if this is the case with their 1a OOC. Bunch of crap lol. But if Pikeville throws like paintsville then they may be in trouble. They didn’t cover us very well. Tough task for them. 

Many years ago if you played a 1A team you got 1A pts. Then, the VHSL forced mixed districts, so the larger schools cried foul because they were forced to take a hit in points. 

The following year, the VHSL allowed the extra points for playing a smaller school ONLY if that school was in your district. THEN, smaller schools that wanted to play up and geographically isolated larger schools complained. The small schools because larger schools didn't want to play them because of losing points. The isolated schools because they had 5 smaller schools for every 1 equal sized school within a reasonable travel distance. 

So, that led to getting level points for playing down for all teams, regardless of being in district. 

Now, there may be incentive to play 1A teams for seeding purposes, but does it really help to get the #1 seed, but then take a loss in the 2nd round because your team wasn't prepared? I guess that's for each coaching staff/school to decide. 

I would much rather play a challenging schedule and take a few losses than feast on cupcakes and get tossed from the playoffs every year. 

Gotta give Travis credit, he doesn't shy away from competition. 

1 hour ago, Union_Fan said:

Many years ago if you played a 1A team you got 1A pts. Then, the VHSL forced mixed districts, so the larger schools cried foul because they were forced to take a hit in points. 

The following year, the VHSL allowed the extra points for playing a smaller school ONLY if that school was in your district. THEN, smaller schools that wanted to play up and geographically isolated larger schools complained. The small schools because larger schools didn't want to play them because of losing points. The isolated schools because they had 5 smaller schools for every 1 equal sized school within a reasonable travel distance. 

So, that led to getting level points for playing down for all teams, regardless of being in district. 

Now, there may be incentive to play 1A teams for seeding purposes, but does it really help to get the #1 seed, but then take a loss in the 2nd round because your team wasn't prepared? I guess that's for each coaching staff/school to decide. 

I would much rather play a challenging schedule and take a few losses than feast on cupcakes and get tossed from the playoffs every year. 

I agree with you 100%

Heck... Travis properly don't give his kids cupcakes... Hard candy only!! 😁

1 hour ago, Union_Fan said:

That makes more sense. Thanks for the info pal. Our boys are battle tested. That shows now based on our record and teams we’ve beat. Was hoping to camp out at the Park thru the playoffs lol. Looks like RV may have slipped one by us. Gonna be interesting to see how things shake out. Thanks again for the info. 

5-5 should be min. wins , 6-4, 4-5-1, and 7-3 , 8-2, were our records while I played , no playoffs because only fist champ went. Set the bar high , let the young men know success is hard, prepares them for life. I know I know , Appalachia, and Jonesville were 5-5 but that was after the had division 1A , etc but they were at least .500. Sometime it’s time to break out the basketballs

4 hours ago, jarhead24219 said:

5-5 should be min. wins , 6-4, 4-5-1, and 7-3 , 8-2, were our records while I played , no playoffs because only fist champ went. Set the bar high , let the young men know success is hard, prepares them for life. I know I know , Appalachia, and Jonesville were 5-5 but that was after the had division 1A , etc but they were at least .500. Sometime it’s time to break out the basketballs

The difference is that Appy and Jonesville both made it in when the Regions only took 4 teams per division...and there were only 3 classes with 2 divisions each. So, then it would be 4 teams per region x 2 divisions per region, giving you 8 playoff spots per region for divisions 1&2 combined. So, 16 teams statewide qualified for the playoffs in division 1 and 16 in division 2...if you multiply that by 3 classifications, after the regular season, only 96 teams in the entire state made the playoffs in classes A, AA, & AAA combined. Now you have 8 per region per classification...and 5 classifications. The math in that would be 32 teams statewide per classification times 5 classes...which gives you 160 statewide. So, yeah, the playoffs are watered down now and could be improved by setting the number at no more than 6 per region per classification..or better yet only 4.

11 hours ago, goose111874 said:

I gotcha we were just assuming the top 4 teams will win first round (but maybe not) but if they do the 2nd round will be fun to watch.  Know one is saying 5-8 didn't earn it but it's hard to imagine a 1-4 losing to a 5-8

That’s the whole point of the playoffs the first round should be easier than than any other for the teams that get that first home game. But you still have to play the game. I didn’t see any Richlands fans saying Richlands didn’t earn a playoff spot when they barely made the 8 seed then almost upset Union. I guess those Tazewell county has the only fans that stand by there team regardless oh record

You really cant assume 1-4 will win all the time. Just take a look at Richlands last year. They played grayson/Ridgeview and were the underdog in both.  Also an earlier post asked why do you play harder competition during the regular season if you get the same points for playing down. The answer is simple. You play harder compitition so when the playoffs come you are battle tested and ready for the caliber of other playoff teams. Playing weaker teams during the regular season sets you up for a letdown in the playoffs. Just ask the above mentioned teams that Richlands beat in the playoffs last year.