Unofficial 2C & D Points Week 7

Ryan4VT

11 minutes ago, BLUEMAG911 said:

You really cant assume 1-4 will win all the time. Just take a look at Richlands last year. They played grayson/Ridgeview and were the underdog in both.  Also an earlier post asked why do you play harder competition during the regular season if you get the same points for playing down. The answer is simple. You play harder compitition so when the playoffs come you are battle tested and ready for the caliber of other playoff teams. Playing weaker teams during the regular season sets you up for a letdown in the playoffs. Just ask the above mentioned teams that Richlands beat in the playoffs last year.

My comment was meant to be sarcastic. I failed at that haha.

I agree with the reasoning. Battle tested once the playoffs get here. But thanks for giving an explanation just the same. 

But I will also make the argument that when you are rebuilding a team from the bottom, a soft schedule is not a bad thing.  When a group is used to not having wins, it is good morale booster for the team and community to be able to make the playoffs with a soft schedule even if exiting in the 1st.  You can't consistently do that but sometimes a little pick me up is a good thing.

Even though you were being sarcastic it still brings up a good topic for teams playing cupcakes. getting Their goal of not playing tougher competition may be because they know they can win and obtain a higher seed for the playoff with the hopes that playing at home will be to their benefit.

As for rebuilding I will agree that a weaker schedule is the way to go for a team that has been down for several years. Getting some wins may be the only way to generate some excitement and desire to play in up and coming kids. This however is hard to do when there are a couple teams in your district that are big dogs each year.

53 minutes ago, BLUEMAG911 said:

Even though you were being sarcastic it still brings up a good topic for teams playing cupcakes. getting Their goal of not playing tougher competition may be because they know they can win and obtain a higher seed for the playoff with the hopes that playing at home will be to their benefit.

As for rebuilding I will agree that a weaker schedule is the way to go for a team that has been down for several years. Getting some wins may be the only way to generate some excitement and desire to play in up and coming kids. This however is hard to do when there are a couple teams in your district that are big dogs each year.

I agree with you 100%. Both point are valid and make sense. 

3 hours ago, BLUEMAG911 said:

Very true on that

1 hour ago, jarhead24219 said:

Let’s both just win win win and do this again for a semi state birth stay healthy and run Adkins until his legs fall off ....that way when we play again he is tired

Or y’all could play us. I know the Blues would like to go back to Bullitt and try again if it works out that way. 

1-9 teams getting into the playoffs does seem Ludacris, although I would much rather it be that way than seeing a 9-1 team not get in because they didnt win their district and one of four spots like George Wythe in 92. 

You look back through the years and several top teams have been knocked off by low seeded teams in the first round. 

4 minutes ago, Optimal62 said:

1-9 teams getting into the playoffs does seem Ludacris, although I would much rather it be that way than seeing a 9-1 team not get in because they didnt win their district and one of four spots like George Wythe in 92. 

You look back through the years and several top teams have been knocked off by low seeded teams in the first round. 

What does Ludacris have to do with anything?

2 hours ago, Burrell’s Pearls said:

RV has gamed the point system. It’s just jacked up system but credit RV for exposing its flaw. If the Wolfpack can continue to play 7-8 win single A schools every year they are going to be hard to ever point. 

I would rather play a 7 win Class A school than Lee or Lebanon. 

59 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

I would rather play a 7 win Class A school than Lee or Lebanon. 

Sure but what’s your point? A 7 win Burton team counts as much as a 7 win Graham team. That’s the problem. I tip my hat to RV for gaming the system but this is a problem. Union hypothetically could be 9-1, M7 champs and have beaten RV/RLands/Graham and be seeded below RV. 

4 hours ago, Burrell’s Pearls said:

RV has gamed the point system. It’s just jacked up system but credit RV for exposing its flaw. If the Wolfpack can continue to play 7-8 win single A schools every year they are going to be hard to ever point. 

Shelby Valley isn't 1A but nice try...

11 minutes ago, Burrell’s Pearls said:

Sure but what’s your point? A 7 win Burton team counts as much as a 7 win Graham team. That’s the problem. I tip my hat to RV for gaming the system but this is a problem. Union hypothetically could be 9-1, M7 champs and have beaten RV/RLands/Graham and be seeded below RV. 

I don’t see it as gaming the system. They aren’t skirting they rules to gain an advantage. They are going by what’s mandated by the VHSL. They don’t play a Richlands schedule. Or a Union. But they dropped the Jenkins’ and the Shelby Valley’s of the world and at least play Burton and Pikeville. Honaker is a longtime rival of the original schools. 

17 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

I don’t see it as gaming the system. They aren’t skirting they rules to gain an advantage. They are going by what’s mandated by the VHSL. They don’t play a Richlands schedule. Or a Union. But they dropped the Jenkins’ and the Shelby Valley’s of the world and at least play Burton and Pikeville. Honaker is a longtime rival of the original schools. 

Gaming may not be the best choice but they have taken advantage of a flawed system. Playing Burton and Honaker should not garner the same base points as Graham and Richlands. 

It ain’t RVs fault but there’s a problem here.