Thoughts So Far On 2019

BlueDevil4Life2008

1. Ridgeview is good but so is Union. Ridgeview, even though they got behind early and lost, had a strong finish to the Union game last night and if they meet again I think the tables will turn the other way.  Don’t count the Wolfpack out at all. 

2. The Southwest District overall has to be the weakest it has EVER been in the history of ever.  This district overall used to be the class of Southwest Virginia in football. Not anymore... not a chance.  If it wasn’t for Richlands and Graham, it would make a great JV league. 

3. Washington County needs to rezone Abingdon so that enough of the kids go to Battle and they can drop to Class 2 with the rest of the district.  The Falcons deserve to be there as well as the rest of their other sports programs.  

4. Gate City is much much better this year than they have ever been the previous years and Houseright IS the reason why.  People can challenge that comment on the current record but wins and losses doesn’t show how far this team has come.  And no matter what people say on here, he DOES have all the personnel in their correct respective positions. Those who don’t believe that have a disease..... it’s called EYE BLINDERS.  Your eyes are open but you only see what you want to see.  Sometimes there is a cure.... it’s called humbleness.  Some people get it.... others live in denial of it.  And myself if I’m Houseright,  forget about what your record is now.... I’m working everyday and encouraging  these guys and getting them better everyday because at the end of the season.... more than likely (unless they relax and get complacent) they will be in the playoffs.  That’s what I’m working for.  To get better for a postseason run.  Because what do you have to lose?  And the most dangerous team in the playoffs for Union and Ridgeview or any top ranked team??  That would be a team with nothing to lose.  

My major takeaway so far has been that the young Union squad has grown up faster than expected. A huge part of that in my opinion is the wars with the tough schedule that forces you to grow up. I heard so much that this team was not nearly as talented as last year's team. I argued it and now things are starting to show. Yes we lost track star speed in Jenkins,but have much more team speed (really can see it on defense by how they fly to the ball)

14 minutes ago, Unchained said:

My major takeaway so far has been that the young Union squad has grown up faster than expected. A huge part of that in my opinion is the wars with the tough schedule that forces you to grow up. I heard so much that this team was not nearly as talented as last year's team. I argued it and now things are starting to show. Yes we lost track star speed in Jenkins,but have much more team speed (really can see it on defense by how they fly to the ball)

Truth.

With their schedule, 6-4 wouldn't have been surprising, but they have greatly overachieved thus far.

Pretty sure the southwest district may have 2 of the top 4 seeds in the region once the playoffs start.  Graham is stout.  Richlands is much improved. And has played 5 quality teams. I would be correct in saying that union / ridge view would have dropped the bluefield game and Radford was not an easy out. Tazewell  was 4 -1 before injuries riddled them.  Not sure this is the weakest it has been. Tazewell has been bad for years , Lebanon has as well. And va High hasn’t challenged for the district in several years.  Marion being down is the biggest drop off but tazewell already has doubled their win total from a year ago.  I wouldn’t write graham out as state champs.  And would t count Richlands out of playing for the region championship.  Tazewell may also get in the playoffs.  Swd isn’t terrible. 

11 hours ago, BlueDevil4Life2008 said:

1. Ridgeview is good but so is Union. Ridgeview, even though they got behind early and lost, had a strong finish to the Union game last night and if they meet again I think the tables will turn the other way.  Don’t count the Wolfpack out at all. 

2. The Southwest District overall has to be the weakest it has EVER been in the history of ever.  This district overall used to be the class of Southwest Virginia in football. Not anymore... not a chance.  If it wasn’t for Richlands and Graham, it would make a great JV league. 

3. Washington County needs to rezone Abingdon so that enough of the kids go to Battle and they can drop to Class 2 with the rest of the district.  The Falcons deserve to be there as well as the rest of their other sports programs.  

4. Gate City is much much better this year than they have ever been the previous years and Houseright IS the reason why.  People can challenge that comment on the current record but wins and losses doesn’t show how far this team has come.  And no matter what people say on here, he DOES have all the personnel in their correct respective positions. Those who don’t believe that have a disease..... it’s called EYE BLINDERS.  Your eyes are open but you only see what you want to see.  Sometimes there is a cure.... it’s called humbleness.  Some people get it.... others live in denial of it.  And myself if I’m Houseright,  forget about what your record is now.... I’m working everyday and encouraging  these guys and getting them better everyday because at the end of the season.... more than likely (unless they relax and get complacent) they will be in the playoffs.  That’s what I’m working for.  To get better for a postseason run.  Because what do you have to lose?  And the most dangerous team in the playoffs for Union and Ridgeview or any top ranked team??  That would be a team with nothing to lose.  

Not sure I'd agree with SWD being the weakest ever. Richlands is always in the mix, Graham is back to their old ways and who knows what Tazewell could've done this year without the injuries. Just for comparison look at the Mountain 7 excluding Abingdon since theyre 3A. You have 2 top teams. Union and Ridgeview, and Graham and Richlands. After that both districts have a significant falloff. Yeh Wise is 4-2 but they beat the easy teams and got whipped by the good teams so how good are they really? They barely beat Va High. Va High is winless, Lee is winless. Battle has only won one game with a loss to a very down Marion team. Lebanon is winless and GC has 2 wins. In no way am i saying SWD is better than Mountain 7 just using it for comparison. They look very similar in my opinion. So if you say this the weakest the SWD has been for a while could you not say the same about the Mountain 7? 

Union and Ridgeview at at top of M7 , Graham / Richlands top of SWD.  Then,  there a couple teamS  in each district that could upset someone on a given night. And a couple of teams that are just bad.  Only Marion is way off where they have been the last couple of years in the SWD.   If graham is a state championship contender and Richlands just knocked of the #1 Radford from up the road.  My guess is that the swd is pretty good. .  

Unions D. Maybe the best in the region. There may be teams with a lower points allowed average, but look at their schedule. Union has grown up considerably. Cleaned up those silly penalties this week. Seems like we’re we’re picked third in the Mountain 7 and not even in talks for the Region D title. I for one thought that as well about the region.  Very impressed with how players have steeped up to fill an injury void. Now, if we win out (and we should honestly), it looks like we will our point Ridgeview for the top spot and also hold the edge to the region c winner. 

I agree with the previous posts. After the M7 and SWD top two, the districts drop off considerably. Makes me miss the old LPD days when there were multiple state champions coming out of it in three different years. And three in one year if you include gate city who would come and go from the district.  Good memories. 

Central Warriors. Those guys seems to be plagued with the injury bug. Year in and year out. Hate that for the kids. 

Devin Lester is fast fast fast as advertised. Fun to watch!

Trenton Adkins running for about 6 miles at this point in the season. Wow. But what stood out in our game with RV is the speed of qb Nick Phillips. Kids got wheels too. 

As for the playoffs...

We all know the region d is going to be fun to watch. We have some really solid teams. I have no idea how we stack up to the region c this season. I’ve not watched them play. Same with teams from the a and b. Other than reading about them, no clue. But the D is going to be a wild one. There are four teams that I feel could win it and rep us well in the playoffs. Would love to see the gmen and wolfpack play each other in a round of the playoffs. . Big and fast teams. 

As always, I pray for the safety of the boys on the field and the fans in their travels. 

18 hours ago, BlueDevil4Life2008 said:

The Southwest District overall has to be the weakest it has EVER been in the history of ever.  This district overall used to be the class of Southwest Virginia in football. Not anymore... not a chance.  If it wasn’t for Richlands and Graham, it would make a great JV league. 

2011 SWD Standings:

1. Richlands 4-0 (10-0)

2. Marion 3-1 (4-6)

3. Carroll County 2-2 (3-7)

4. Abingdon 2-2 (3-7)

5. Tazewell 0-4 (0-10)

They sent two teams to playoffs; Marion was booted in the first game, Richlands in the second. The district champions beat the district runner ups by 49 points, who in turn, beat the third place team by three scores... who beat the fourth place team by two scores... who beat the last place team by four scores. Only one team in the district posted a winning record, and the second best team in the district went 1-5 in out of district play, despite playing almost exclusively 1A teams.

The entire district, excluding Richlands, went 3-20 in out of district play.