Union @ Central

CriticalNoise

BEARS. Was beat off the bus had no get up about them , that was the worse outing by a union team since combined. Never once did i see a coach getting onto any players for nothing but a pat on the back . Union has to realize well least hope they do now that union is every teams big game on there schedule an ready an prepared week in an week out N not overlook anyone. Maybe they will wake up after the embarrassment Friday night !! But hats off to wise found sonething on union defense an made them pày all night . Yes i know union is banged up an and should be after the schedule they have played an needs this bye week to rest an get heads right and ready to go

4 minutes ago, Swestfb_strong said:

BEARS. Was beat off the bus had no get up about them , that was the worse outing by a union team since combined. Never once did i see a coach getting onto any players for nothing but a pat on the back . Union has to realize well least hope they do now that union is every teams big game on there schedule an ready an prepared week in an week out N not overlook anyone. Maybe they will wake up after the embarrassment Friday night !! But hats off to wise found sonething on union defense an made them pày all night . Yes i know union is banged up an and should be after the schedule they have played an needs this bye week to rest an get heads right and ready to go

I would say that you haven’t  watched Turner during the halftimes, he was on his team to wake up, truth is this they are wore out, no easy weeks off , no breaks since July . It will be fine no matter what seat we land at , I think 1—5 will all have a chance at region D and Turner will let them heal rest and get ready for a playoff run

Sometimes you just get beat by a team that brings its A game. When you are a run oriented team like Union, you are going to be in every game and teams just aren't likely to get much separation in score, and you have the ability to beat a team that could likely beat you 7-8 out of 10 times (Graham in my opinion). 

The flipside is that being a run oriented team, you are also going to be in games the other way, which means a team that you would likely beat 9 out of 10 times, and you find yourself in a close game, because the game is shortened with run teams and often there isn't huge separation if a defense doesn't give up huge plays and requires you to perform long drives.

If Union does what it does and continues to run, block well up front, and play good D and doesn't turnover and has few penalties, they will be in every game, and that means no team is pulling away from them, and they are a threat to run the table and not lose again this year, as in all the way through the playoffs. Not saying it happens, but it's very possible if Union plays it's A game. 

16 minutes ago, jarhead24219 said:

I think 1—5 will all have a chance at region D and Turner will let them heal rest and get ready for a playoff run

I was looking at that today, all those have a legit shot at being Region D champs. 6 and 7 will be more than capable of pulling an upset.  The playoffs are gonna be nuts this season.  Glad to see the region this competitive 

36 minutes ago, Swestfb_strong said:

21 minutes ago, jarhead24219 said:

I would say that you haven’t  watched Turner during the halftimes, he was on his team to wake up, truth is this they are wore out, no easy weeks off , no breaks since July . It will be fine no matter what seat we land at , I think 1—5 will all have a chance at region D and Turner will let them heal rest and get ready for a playoff run

UNION is banged up pretty bad right now...

But I can say am proud of the hole team for the schedule that they have had to play so far...7 of 8 teams are going to the playoffs, Another factory I look at is that UNION runs the ball 90 to 95% of the time and that's just hard on players going both ways. But this past Friday Central was the better team hands down...I have a lot of confidence in coach Turner and his stuff to make the right adjustments going in to the bye week and then going to Abington...

Like I said it before.. I wish Central the best of luck!! AND HOPE TO SEE YA VERY SOON IN THE PLAYOFFS!!

Union will always be Union, where football is king. They will almost always have a chance to win in any game they play.  Central is an up and coming program, but one big win doesn't make you a contender overnight.  It does look like they have turned the corner though. Central's competitiveness only adds to the excitement of district play for the future. 

5 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

A strong region only helps everyone! Hope it's a sign of a new cycle where teams were splitting districts more than one way,  yearly. The way it used to be!

I think the region is more mediocre, than strong! Every team is flawed in one way or another. I think football in the region as a whole has been on a downhill trajectory for quite a long time! There are exceptions to this rule like Graham last year, but when you have legit D1 talent that helps. The population loss and the kids losing interest has killed the depth of a lot of teams in the area and when you go east of Roanoke to play you better have 22 above average players or you will not only lose but get embarrassed. If you ask yourself the question honestly and answer it honestly I think we all no the answer that not one team in this region has a chance to make a true run at a state title. I know I will get roasted for saying it but the pioneers take the arrows!    

I think you're about half right,  every team does have a flaw but not all are fortunate enough to have a staff well versed enough to exploit the other and/or protect their own.   With that being said,  region d champ will have as much of a chance as anyone else come December with or without d1 due to the physical play as always. I don't recall that many d1 players on the past title winners/contenders.  Swva kids usually have that little edge but there are always exceptions to everything. I hope you're wrong. 

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

I think you're about half right,  every team does have a flaw but not all are fortunate enough to have a staff well versed enough to exploit the other and/or protect their own.   With that being said,  region d champ will have as much of a chance as anyone else come December with or without d1 due to the physical play as always. I don't recall that many d1 players on the past title winners/contenders.  Swva kids usually have that little edge but there are always exceptions to everything. I hope you're wrong. 

I remember some teams from this area that went 5-5 and won state championships. I like to believe some of the best football in the state is in this area.

1 hour ago, jonah58 said:

I remember some teams from this area that went 5-5 and won state championships. I like to believe some of the best football in the state is in this area.

It used to be that way, but not anymore. There will be a team that will seep through the cracks occasionally but the decades of dominance are over unless you have that special team. 

15 hours ago, jarhead24219 said:

Oh the cons of being good.

35 minutes ago, Swestfb_strong said:

If union wins out an ridgeview was to lose to pikeville . Will the pack still outpoint union if so a win against graham? Has anyone got a projected outcome on points right now 

Just posted them in a new thread.